His Own Harley Quinn

Twenty-Eight

It was the end of the week, and Harley was staring at the Ultra Sound picture once again; smiling to herself as she admired it.
“What do you want: a boy or a girl?” Harley asked, looking up at Jackie who was sitting on the couch while Harley was on the floor.
Jackie shrugged her shoulders “I don’t know—I mean, I’m nearly 16-weeks and Jon doesn’t know.”
She looked at Harley, her eyes wild with fear “What am I gonna do?” she asked.
Harley sighed, she got up off the floor and sat next to Jackie; she noticed that Jackie was beginning to show.
“…I don’t know. Maybe you should tell him. It’s long over due. He’s gonna put two and two together eventually—and that’s going to be an even bigger mess.” Harley said, stroking Jackie’s hair.
Harley sighed “If all else fails, we can get our own chick pad!” she remarked.
Jackie giggled just as the front door opened; The Joker and Jonathan Crane both walked through the door; both looking worse for the wear—especially Crane.
Jackie gasped “Oh my god, Jonathan!” she got off the couch and hurried to Crane who had a black eye and several bruises on his face and neck “What happened?” she asked.
Crane looked her dead in the eye, whatever had taken over his body, it definitely wasn’t Dr. Jonathan Crane.
“Jonathan?” Jackie asked softly.
The Joker grimaced “That damn Batman—damn him to hell!!” he remarked, walking into the back hallway to his bedroom with Harley by his side.
They weren’t even in their room yet when Crane did the most heinous thing imaginably; he grabbed Jackie by the throat and shook her fiercely.
Jackie tried to scream as Crane threw her into a wall, holding her up while choking her; his wild blue eyes scared Jackie as she clawed at his hand “…Jonathan…what are you doing?” she managed to choke out.
“There is no Jonathan…only Scarecrow.” He remarked, looking at her with such vigor throughout his body.
Jackie began to kick at the wall or at Crane himself as she tried to scream for help just as Harley walked out into the living room to get her sweater; witnessing what was happening.
“HEY!” she yelled, grabbing the closes lamp and hitting Crane over the head with it.
Crane dropped Jackie who fell to the floor as she caught her breathe, looking up Crane and Harley who were about to go at it when The Joker came out from the back hallway; with his shirt off.
The Joker’s voice became stern, not creepy as she knew to hear it, he meant serious business as he pointed his gun at Crane.
Crane and The Joker squared off for a moment, Harley hiding on the couch as the two men stared at each other with such fury, it could kill somebody.
“Leave the girls alone---they didn’t cause this!” The Joker said before walking back into the hallway.
“HARLEY!!” he yelled.
The girl flinched as she hopped over the couch and into the back hallway “Comin’ puddin’!” she yelled.
Jackie was still choking on air and trying to catch her breathe as the same time; Crane was still staring down the hallway not blinking or moving before he turned to Jackie and for a split second, he actually looked sorry.
Crane turned back to the hallway and walked down it, going to bed while leaving Jackie on the floor; she suspected she was going to sleep on the couch tonight, she didn’t want to be near Crane, not for awhile.

The next morning was quiet, Jackie was doing dishes as Harley and The Joker were murmuring a conversation in the living room, and for the moment Crane wasn’t anywhere to be found.
Jackie was listening to the radio, it was a constant theme of sad break-up songs and Jackie admitted to herself that they were all tugging at a heart string.
She was still frustrated and shaken about what had happened that night, she couldn’t sleep; she just replayed it in her mind for hours on end.
Jackie was washing a plate when two hands came behind her, one hand on her hip and the other pushing away stands of hair from her neck.
Crane nearly flinched looking at the finger shaped bruises that patterned around Jackie’s neck; if he wasn’t sorry last night, this morning he was.
Jackie froze in her spot as Crane kissed a bruise, almost trying to kiss it away as his one hand on her hip slid up and down her curvy side.
“I’m sorry,” He whispered softly “What I did was inexcusable…I had a bad day and I took it out on you and I shouldn’t have.” He told her.
Jackie didn’t say a word.
Crane sighed “Do you forgive me?” he asked.
Jackie still didn’t say anything, she went back to washing the plate and ignored Crane’s ever word.
“Baby…” he muttered, putting both hands on her waist.
She pushed him away with all her strength, forcing him into a wall; not even looking at him as she did; he was just a termite to her.
Crane understood, she was mad and angry; and words couldn’t fix what had happened.
“…will you just look at me?” he asked.
Jackie didn’t, she finished the dish, turned off the water and turned towards the kitchen entrance, hiding herself in her long hair before escaping Crane’s glare as she walking into the bedroom and shut the door behind her.
Crane sighed heavily, he just hoped she could forgive him someday; he couldn’t not hear her voice or look into her blue eyes. If he couldn’t ever do those things again, then life wasn’t worth living.

Jackie sat on the bed, trying not to cry as there came a knock at the door; she sighed heavily as the door opened; and it wasn’t Crane at the door.
“You okay?” Harley asked, shutting the door behind her.
Jackie shook her head “I’m getting rid of it.” She remarked.
Harley’s eyes went wide “You’re going to get an—an—a—”
“Yes, Harley—I’m getting an abortion. What he did to me, I mean…I can’t let a child be around that. And what if I keep it and he finds out that I kept it a secret from him for how many months?” she asked.
Harley nearly whimpered as she sat next to Jackie, she didn’t know what else to say; she put her hand on Jackie’s shoulder.
“Whatever you think is best, love.” She muttered.