Status: active :D

Closer To The Truth

twelve.

I struggled to grab a paper grocery bag, as the two I already held in my hands were heavy. I sighed and tried to grab the brown bag once more.

"Need help?"

I gasped and turned around quickly, thankfully not dropping my bags. "Oh, Garrett!"

He gave a flustered smile. "I didn't mean to scare you. I just saw you struggling and thought I'd come see if you needed help," he explained.

"I'd love some help," I smiled.

He reached in the trunk and grabbed the last two bags, and we began walking up the stairs to my apartment. I set one bag on my left leg as I placed the key in the doorknob. I heard Garrett clear his throat behind me and I turned around, raising my eyebrow.

"Um ..." he mumbled before nodding his head at my leg.

My cheeks immediately went ablaze as I noticed that my shorts had rose up, and my thigh was basically fully revealed.

"Oh my God. I'm sorry," I said quickly before opening the door and setting my leg down.

"It's fine," he laughed, following behind me.

We set the bags on the table and I raised my right hand to my neck, massaging it.

"You okay?" he asked.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, I'm fine. I'm just beat from work," I explained.

"Oh?" he arched his brows. "Where do you work?"

"At Mi Pueblo's, right downtown. I'm one of the two managers there, and most of the time, I'm left to do all the real business work."

"Ah, that must suck."

I nodded my head. "It really does. How's your nose?" I questioned. It had been two weeks since the incident, and the bruising seemed to be almost nonexistent.

"Great. It doesn't even hurt anymore," he smiled.

"I'm glad. I can stop feeling guilty," I joked.

He laughed. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Uh, sure," I said, grabbing one of the bags from the table. I began putting the groceries away.

"You and Craig aren't together, right?"

I paused, my hand setting a box of cereal down. "Right," I sighed.

"And ... You're not seeing anyone else, correct?"

I spun around slowly, eyeing him. "No, I'm not. Why do you ask?"

"Well," he started, raising a hand to push up his glasses, "I was wondering if you'd like to ... Go see a movie sometime?"

A smile spread across my face immediately. "Really?"

"Yeah. I mean, if you don't want to, that's fi-"

"I'd love to go see a movie with you, Garrett," I spat quickly.

He smiled widely. "Great! Um, what night are you free?"

"I'm free tonight."

"Sweet! What movie would you like to see?" he cheesed.

"Um ... It really doesn't matter to me," I laughed.

"You have to pick. I'm way too indecisive," he told me.

I chuckled. "How about Love and Other Drugs?"

"Works for me. I'll see what times it's showing and call you," he stated.

I nodded my head. "Sounds good." I bit down on my bottom lip, holding back a laugh as he went for the door. "Garrett?"

He turned around quickly. "Yeah?"

"Don't you need my number if you're going to call me?"

His face lit up a bright red. "Oh, right!" He walked to me and handed me his cell phone.

I held back my laughter at how adorable he was and quickly input my number and name to his phone, before handing it back to him. "There you go."

"Thanks, Roxie," he smiled.

"You're welcome, Gare," I smiled back.

His smile grew at me calling him his nickname, and he waved before leaving the apartment. I let out a soft laugh and smiled as I continued putting the groceries away.

Never would I have thought that I'd be able to get over Craig so fast, but I was doing it. A part of me was still hurt, and I knew that I would have to get over that hurt if I ever wanted to get into a new relationship, but I needed time.

_________________________________________________________

"Hey, mamacita," Alaska smiled as she walked through the door, throwing down her purse and mail on the table.

"Hey, boo," I laughed as I got off the couch, turning the volume down.

She grabbed a water bottle out of the fridge before turning around, going to take a sip. Her eyes bugged out. "Woah, baby. Where are you going, sister?" she grinned.

"Garrett asked me to go to the movies with him. Am I too overdressed?" I asked shyly. Fashion was never my thing, which was one of the many reasons why I was so glad to have Alaska as my sister. She absolutely adored fashion.

She shook her head side to side furiously. "Not at all! You look so adorable, Rocco! And I can't believe you didn't call or text me right after Garrett asked you out!"

"I know, I know. I was going to, but then I got so nervous and I don't know. I just want things to go smoothly, and I don't want to make an ass out of myself."

"Oh, Rocco," she cooed, walking to stand in front of me. "You won't make an ass out of yourself, trust me! Garrett likes you, obviously. I mean, he did ask you out on a date. You'll be fine, love."

I sighed. "I hope so. Thanks for that, 'Lassie!"

She smiled and pulled me into a hug. "You're welcome."

As we pulled away, a knock came on the door and I inhaled a sharp breath of air, knowing that Garrett was waiting on the other side. I walked slowly to the door and exhaled before opening it.

"Hey," I smiled shyly.

Garrett's blue orbs looked me up and down before meeting my eyes. "Hey. You look beautiful, Roxie."

I felt my cheeks warm. "Thanks, Garrett. You look great, too." And he did, in his black skinny jeans, white v-neck tee shirt and black sweater-jacket thrown over.

He grinned. "Ready to go?"

I nodded my head. "Just let me grab my purse." I walked quickly to the table and grabbed my purse.

"Have fun, Rocco!" Alaska yelled behind me as I waved over my shoulder.

I shut the door and turned to Garrett. "Let's go," I stated, hoping with everything in me that tonight wouldn't be something I would regret later.
♠ ♠ ♠
Roxie

It's all my fault for taking so long to udpate. I apologize. It's hard for me to find a computer to use, so please don't be too mad! WE APPRECIATE AND LOVE ALL OUR READERS! <3 (: