Sequel: Riddle Me This

Love in the Dark

thirteen

I cuddled into Jonathan as we caught our breath. My hand rested on his chest while his wrapped around my back. My pajamas were thrown on the floor with his suit and my hair was no longer in braids. I pressed a kiss on his chest and looked up at him and smiled, getting one back in return. Crawling up, I placed a series of light kisses on his lips, and he held me close for a deeper one. Pulling away I said, "Tell me about your childhood."

He frowned, "Why?"

"I just want to know you better."

"My childhood isn't a story that should ever be told."

I propped myself up on my elbow, "Is it that terrible?"

"To me."

I frowned, "I'm sorry."

"My childhood... was traumatic."

I nodded, "Were you bullied?"

"Yes."

I frowned again, "Why?"

"Because I was tall and skinny."

I smiled, "I was made fun of for that too... also the fact that I didn't get boobs until after high school. I was called Twiggy and Scarecrow all through out high school."

"I was called Scarecrow as well."

"Something in common."

He smiled a little, "Yeah... I guess so."

Leaning in I gave him a kiss, "Well, I hope that whoever made fun of you knows that you ended up being incredibly handsome, and nothing like a scarecrow."

He smiled, "I'm glad you think that. What about your childhood?"

"I was hoping yours would be better than mine. I grew up passing messages between two parents who were never in the same room with each other. They were married out of tradition, my mother the Locke would marry my father the Elwood, and they would combine their fortune and keep the families in high wealth. They were supposed to have a son they could pass the name on to, but I was born, and they figured they could marry me off the same way as my mother was. She was a disappointment to her family like I am to her."

"You're not a disappointment."

"Maybe not to you... but to someone who thinks you should fall in love with Bruce Wayne friend of no friend.... That's why she doesn't like you."

He frowned, "I'm glad my personality isn't a factor."

"I'm actually upset that she's not giving you a chance either."

He smiled and I kissed him, "Well, as long as you're happy with me."

I leaned in to kiss him again, then my phone rang. Rolling over, I grabbed my purse off of the table and looked at my phone, it was Bruce. "Hello?"

"Are you with Crane?"

"Yes."

"What are you two doing?"

"I think that's none of your business." I felt a hand slide between my thighs and cup my parts, I let out a sigh and said, "What do you want, Bruce."

"I'm just making sure you're okay."

"I'm fine."

"You're not going to break down?"

"Haven't yet."

"You should talk to someone."

"I talk to Jonathan."

"I think you should talk to someone else."

A finger slid up and down my clit and I had to fight off a moan, "I'll talk to whomever I want to."

Bruce sighed on the other line, "Will you be home for dinner?"

"I'll have to talk to you about that," I said, "I don't know if Jonathan has any plans for tonight."

"I have a lot of plans for tonight," whispered Jonathan before he kissed my neck.

I giggled, "Hey, Bruce, I'm going to have to let you go."

"Be-"

"Careful, I know." Hanging up on him, I rolled over to face Jonathan and playfully slapped him, "That was not nice."

"I couldn't help it," he said, his hands roaming my body, "I like touching you."

I smiled, "Well then."

~

We sat one the couch in front of his television. We were watching 28 Days Later, but we were both too tired to really pay attention. I wore his button up shirt and my pajama bottoms, while he wore a pair of boxers and an under shirt. The box of pepperoni pizza sat in front of us. We both decided that heating it up would take up too much time and effort for our tired selves, so we just ate a couple of slices cold. My head rested on his chest as my eyes drooped. Someone screamed on screen, but it didn't bother me. I dozed off, sleeping on him, and that was the last I knew.

~

Waking up, I found myself lying on the couch alone. A note lay on the table:

Bethany,
I was called into the office, so I'll be back later. I'll call when I'm on the way back. I also called Bruce to tell him that you would be staying the night. I don't want the police to barge into my home again.

Jonathan


Sitting up, I looked at the clock and saw that it was only eight, I rubbed my eyes and patted my hair down. I stretched, and my phone rang. I was Jonathan.

"Hey," I said.

"I'm glad you're awake," he sounded different.

"Yeah, I am. Are you okay?"

"I've been better."

"What did the office want?"

Jonathan was silent for a moment, "The Joker got away... again. Someone smothered him out."

I stiffened with fear, "Oh God."

"Yeah."

"You're on your way back here right?" My voice was soft as tears pricked the back of my eyes.

"Yes. I'm almost home."

I let a sigh go, "Good.... I don't want to be alone."

"Give me two minutes tops."

I nodded even though I knew he couldn't see it, "Please hurry."

"Bethany, it'll be okay... I promise."

"I'm scared," suddenly the shadows in the room were longer, darker, deeper. The room was too quiet, and the outside didn't make much noise.

"I'm turning into the subdivision right now."

"Okay."

"I'm going to hang up now."

"Okay."

Hanging up, I listened for the car to pull into the driveway, and for the sound of him getting out. I heard the door slam, and I got off of the couch and ran to the door. Opening it, I found my worst nightmare on the other side. "Hello, doll-face... is the doctor in?"

Screaming, I closed the door, but it was stopped by his powerful hand. Pushing the door open, he came in and grabbed me by my hair. I struggled against him as he pulled me into the house to sit me down on the couch. Tears were streaming down my face as I sat straight on the couch, my breathing fast. The Joker walked around the room, looking at the artwork, looking at me, back at the artwork, then at me, probably making sure that I didn't run away. In the driveway, I heard a car door slam, and I wanted nothing more than to run to that door and tell Jonathan to turn around and drive away. I opened my mouth to scream, but the sound of people fighting came, and soon we were joined by Jonathan and a woman dressed in an absurdly tight jester outfit.

"Here's the doctor, Mr. J," she said, her New Jersey accent thick and nasally, "Should I put him next to the chick?"

"Do whatever you want, my pretty."

She giggled as she tossed Jonathan onto the couch next to me, "Oh, Mr. J, the things you say.... You really know how to make a girl blush."

"Shut up," turning to us he smiled, "Aren't you two a happy couple!" We looked at each other, then back at him, "Oh come on, why the long faces?"

"W-What do you want," asked Jonathan, sitting up.

The Joker cracked his neck, and licked his lips - a habit of his - and said, "You know what I want, doctor... I want your help."

"I won't help you."

"Jonathan, what is he talking about," I looked at my boyfriend confused.

The Joker gave his shrill laugh, "She doesn't know!" He laughed and the girl joined him, "All of that time in therapy and you can't tell her about it!"

"Jonathan?" I looked at him, and he didn't meet my eyes.

The Joker managed to stop laughing long enough to become as serious as he could manage and said, "By the way... I'm diggin' the girl. I'm glad that you found someone special to you, I really am." Grabbing a hold of the girl he pulled her into him and said, "I'm glad that me and Harley-Q are setting a good example for you."

"You're not setting an example," said Jonathan, "Bethany and I are nothing like you."

The girl nodded, "She may not be, but you are."

The Joker shoved her away, "Go get the car, Harley."

"Yes Mr. J." The girl giggled as she skipped out of the room.

"I have a game I want to play, doctor," the Joker leaned in close to him, "You have one week to tell the Chicky about who you really are.... Or I tell her and make her mine."

"No."

"Well, see, you don't have a choice.... Besides, she might like the story and want to join you.... She could be your little Dorothy," the Joker laughed at his sentence, "Remember, Jonathan, how it felt to be powerful?"

"No."

"Sure you do." Straightening up, he made sure his suit was okay and said, "You have one week, doctor... or she's mine." He turned and walked out of the room, out the front door, and then the sound of a car started.

Turning to Jonathan I said, "You know him?"

"He's my patient."

"You worked with him?"

"No."

"What was he talking about?"

"No," he stood up, "No... I can't tell you...." Looking at me I saw the hurt in his blue eyes, "You'll leave me."

"How do you know?"

"It's terrible."

"What is?"

"The truth."

"What truth? Jonathan, you'll never know if you don't tell me."

Jonathan watched me then sat down in the seat next to the couch. His tall body shot out of the seat, his long legs stretched out. He thought for a moment, then said, "It... probably should start with my childhood."
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh snap!