Sequel: Riddle Me This

Love in the Dark

twenty

I woke up to the smell of breakfast and smiled. Rolling over, I felt the sheets rub against my bare skin and looked across the room at Jonathan making food in the kitchen. I reached over and pulled on a pair of his boxers and a button up shirt, and crawled out of bed. Walking over to him, I wrapped my arms around him and smiled, "Good morning."

Turning in my arms, he placed a kiss on my lips, "Good morning to you as well. I'm making breakfast."

"I can see that."

"Only, here's the thing... I won't have time to eat."

"Work?"

"Yes. I'm sorry."

"It's okay."

"But like I said, I'm making you breakfast."

"What will you eat?"

"They have muffins and dough-nuts, I'll just take some of those."

I nodded, "Okay. Do you need some help?"

"Yes."

"What shall I do?"

"Sit here," he pointed at the chair that sat at the bar, "And look pretty."

I sat there and scrunched my face at him. He leaned across the bar and placed a kiss on my nose. I sat back and smiled as I watched him finish flipping the pancakes. When he set the plate in front of me, I took a bite and smiled, "These are fantastic!"

"Really?"

"Yes! Oh my gosh."

"I added a special ingredient-"

"If you say love I'll bite your head off."

Smiling he said, "Fine. I won't." Kissing my head he said, "I've got to go."

"Okay."

"I'll call you."

"You don't have to."

"But I will."

Smiling I watched as he walked out of the door. I continued eating the pancakes, trying to figure out why they were so God damn delicious. I scanned the counter top of ingredients and found nothing. Hm... maybe he did just add a shit tone of love. When I finished the plate, I cleaned everything, and went to rest on the bed. For some odd reason, I wasn't feeling that well. As I lay on the bed, I felt a sudden wave of nausea, and ran to the bathroom. I threw up, watching as my breakfast floated in the basin. It wasn't until I walked back to the bed, did I start to panic.

I just threw up.
Am I late?
Oh shit!

I ran to my bed and picked up my phone and called Bruce. Alfred picked up the phone, and it took me five minutes of pleading to get him to wake up Bruce. When he angrily asked who this was I said, "I'm flipping shit."

"Bethany?"

"Bruce, I don't know what to do."

"About what?"

"I just got sick."

"Go see the doctor."

"I'm not sick."

"What?"

"Bruce... I think I'm pregnant."

"What?"

I started to panic even more, "I don't know what to do... can you help me?"

"Yeah... what do you want?"

"I don't know... I don't know what to do.... I've never had this happen to me before.... Should I go get one of those... thingies?"

"I'll pick some up on my way over. You just sit tight until I get there, okay?"

I nodded even though he couldn't see, "Okay." Hanging up, I crawled into my bed and waited for Bruce to come. It felt like forever but after ten minutes he knocked on my door. I ran to it and opened it. He looked at me, still in my pajamas and frowned.

"I brought different types."

I smiled weakly, "Thank you."

"Are you sure you're pregnant?"

"No."

"What happened?"

"Jonathan made me breakfast... I ate it... then I threw it up."

"Have you guys been-"

"Yes. We've had... a shit ton of sex."

Bruce handed me the pharmacy bag and I pulled out the first one. Clear Blue. I told him that I would be right back, and I went into the bathroom and followed the directions. Coming out, I held the stick in my hand and waited. Bruce sat on the couch and patted the cushion next to him. Sitting down, I willed time to go faster. Then, I got a response.

not pregnant

I almost fainted with joy, but Bruce ruined it, "Why don't you try one more test... just to make sure."

I thought about it and nodded, "Okay."

I tried two more times and thankfully both were negative. I was just over reacting, which I guess is something I'm good at. Bruce hugged me when the third test showed the - sign, "At least you're not pregnant."

"Yeah... I'm sorry I dragged you out of bed for nothing."

"No, it was worth it."

"It's just... we've been... and it's always a possibility..... Thank you."

Bruce smiled, "No problem."

When Jonathan got home, I was sleeping. I had been tired all day after what happened that morning. After setting his stuff down, he crawled into bed with me, "Hello."

Rolling over I smiled, "Hello."

"Why are you sleepy?"

"I've been tired all day."

"Hm... that's no good."

"No, it isn't."

"Did you like the pancakes?"

I giggled, "Yes, they were the highlight of my day."

"Good." He leaned in and pressed a kiss on my lips, "Anything else happen?"

I looked at him and thought about telling him that I had had a pregnancy scare, but I wasn't sure how to put it, "Well...."

"Well what?"

"Um... this morning I got sick."

"What? Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I called Bruce...."

"Why?"

"I was um... afraid that I was... well, you know."

"Pregnant?"

"Yeah."

Jonathan stroked my hair, "And?"

"I'm not."

"Oh. Good."

"Yeah."

"Do you think we should... cut back?"

I had to chuckle at his choice of words, "No. I don't think that. You use protection, I'm on the pill... we really have nothing to worry about."

"Right."

I kissed him and he rolled on top of me, "I hate it when you wear those suits."

"But I thought you said I look sexy in them."

"You do... but they're a bitch to get off."

Jonathan smiled, "I'm sorry."

I leaned up to kiss him again, but that nauseous feeling came to me again, and I pushed him away before barely making it to the bathroom. He was behind me, holding my hair back as I puked clear liquid into the toilet, having eaten nothing all day. By the time I was done, I had tears in my eyes from the heaving and the stinging. I sat down and leaned against the wall of the bathroom, Jonathan joining me, hugging me to him. "What's wrong with me?"

"I don't know."

"Do you think I should go to the doctor's?"

"Maybe it's just a stomach flu."

"Maybe."

Jonathan stroked my hair and placed a kiss on my shoulder. "I can't move... I'm too tired."

"Shall I move you?"

"How do you feel about picking up led?"

Jonathan smiled and easily scooped me into his arms walking me over to the bed to set me down. He grabbed a trash can and set it near me. I smiled and stuck my tongue out at him. "Hey, I don't want you not making it."

"Thank you... that's very considerate of you."

Jonathan smiled. "Anything for you my pretty."

"Did you have a session this morning?"

He was quiet for a moment, "Yes."

"How did it go?"

"It went well."

I smiled weakly at him, "I'm glad."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"It's nice to be able to... talk about it, I guess."

I nodded, my eyes drooping, "I'm so tired."

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault."

"I feel like it should be."

"Why? It's not like you did this."

"No... it's not."

I smiled at him, closing my eyes. I heard him moving around, the sound of glass clinking against glass came, and then he was back with me. He held my hand, and a pinching feeling came at the bend in my elbow, and soon I was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh no she's sick!

COMMENT!