Status: Complete

Past Lives

13

I couldn't help the smirk that spread across my lips as I watched Brooks look at Ads. He had brought this all on himself. His selfish timing, his unwillingness to talk to her before he left...Everything he had ever done to Ads was coming back to bite him in the ass.

It was glorious.

As Brooks flipped out, I just looked at him. "“It’s a free country Brooks. I didn’t know she would need a permission slip to be at a hockey game.” I crossed my arms. This wasn't cool, but I was so enjoying it.

I really was a sarcastic bitch.

Max walked over, insulting Brooks' B.O. and then invited me out with the two of them. I shook my head. "No, you guys go ahead. I'll catch a ride with Scuds or something." Ads hugged and thanked me before heading out the door. Once they were gone, Brooks rounded on me.

"I'm going to shower. Stay. Here." He scampered off to the shower and I rolled my eyes as I sat on the bench outside the door. He was so worked up over seeing Ads and I thought it was perfect.

I heard another familiar voice and looked up as the door opened. "There's my favorite drinking buddy."

Scuds looked down and grabbed me like a rag doll. "JAMIE!" He hugged me tightly before setting me back on the ground. I crossed my arms and glared at him. He laughed and kissed my cheek. "How are you? I've missed you." He pointed to the man with him. "Bugsy, this is one of my good friends from college, Jamie." Scuds smiled at me. "Jamie, this is Ryan Malone."

Well hello, Ryan Malone. I smiled and shook his hand. "Nice to meet you. You're the Pittsburgher, right?"

Ryan laughed and nodded. "You're not from around here, are you?"

I shook my head. "Nope. Boston."

He smiled. "Well then, I guess that's ok." Ryan looked at Scuds. "Are we going to Mario's?" He looked at me. "Are you going to Mario's?"

Scuds nodded. "I know we're going." He looked at me. "You coming? I know Brooks wanted to talk to you..."

I rolled my eyes. "Lucky me." As I picked at a hangnail, Scuds sat down next to me. He hugged my shoulders.

"Don't let the big bad wolf get you down."

Ryan looked at me. "Do you want us to wait for you?" I looked up and smiled at him.

"I would really appreciate it."

We all sat and talked for the next few minutes until Brooks came out, hair still dripping from the shower. He look from Ryan to Scuds to me before nodding towards the door. "Guys, leave."

They looked at me and I nodded. "I'll be fine." They left and I looked at Brooks. "What do you want?"

He sat down and started grilling me instantly. "Why didn't you tell me Ads was here? Why did you lie to me?"

"Because I wasn't going to let you hurt her again, Brooks. You should have seen what you did to her. She was a wreck after you. I wasn't letting that happen again." I glared at him. I wasn't amused.

He ran a hand through his hair. "Fine. Then why didn't you tell me she was with Max?"

I rolled my eyes. "I only just found out. Besides, it's really none of your business who she dates. You haven't spoken to her in six years."

Brooks glared at the wall. He knew I was right. "Fine. Then answer me this," he said, not looking at me. "Is she only with him to make me jealous?"

"No," I lied.

Some blonde appeared then and wrapped herself around Brooks. "Ready to go, baby?"

I pretended to gag. "This is what you left Ads for?" I stood up and shook my head. "God, you're a moron."

My phone vibrated then. "We need to save you?" It was Scuds. It was comforting that he hadn't deleted my number. I shook my head at Brooks. "You know, you're kind of a sucky human being." I didn't waste anymore wit on him.

Before I left, though, I added, "Does your," I looked her up and down, "thing here know you were looking for your ex?"

I walked away before I heard the argument. As I met up with Ryan and Scuds, we walked out to the parking lot and climbed into Ryan's car. I clicked my seatbelt and watched as we pulled out of the parking lot and headed towards Mario's.

Scuds turned around in his seat to look at me. "So what did Brooks want?"

I rolled my eyes. "To be an ass."

Ryan sounded intrigued. "How do you know these guys?"

Scuds answered for me. "We went to BC together." He smirked. "Jamie's given Brooks and I both our fair share of bloody noses."

Glaring at him, I said, "Well you both deserved it."

Ryan laughed. "What did they do?"

I looked out the window as we crossed the 10th Street Bridge. "Brooks broke Ads' heart." I pushed Scuds' shoulder. "And this one snuck up on me."

We told stories the rest of the way before Ryan parked the car. They led the way and as soon as I walked in, I saw Ads. She hurried over and hugged me. "Helloooooo, gorgeous!"

I laughed. "My, my, someone's been having fun." It made me happy to see her so happy.

"Of course!" She giggled and took a drink of what I assumed was a Jack and Coke.

As I spotted the door, I frowned. "What a dick." Ads turned around to see Brooks and his thing.

"He was worried about me with Max when he has his own relationship?"

"Methinks Mr. Orpik may still be in love with you." I crossed my arms and glared at Brooks as he started grinding on the blonde. I shoved Ads towards Max. "Go make that ass wish he'd never left for Wilkes-Barre."

As I watched Ads dance with Max, Ryan came over and stood next to me. "They're blind, aren't they?"

"Hopelessly." I looked up and smiled at him. Ryan was truly adorable. His green eyes sparkled as he smiled back.

Ryan pushed a piece of my hair behind my ear. "You know what I'm not blind to?" I raised an eyebrow in interest. He smiled again. "A beautiful girl." He put his hands on my hips. "Want to dance?"

I nodded and started to dance with Pittsburgh's favorite son. Things got pretty heated pretty fast. "Let's go outside!" I yelled over the music. He led me out to the sidewalk of East Carson where the snow had started to fall again. Ryan wrapped his arms around me.

"To keep you warm, of course."

If he was going to flirt, then so was I dammit. I met his eyes and whispered, "I can think of a better way to keep warm." I stood on my tip toes and kissed him.

I was expecting him to pull away. He did anything but. In fact, the next thing I knew he was texting Scuds to make sure he had a ride. As soon as he did, Ryan and I headed to his car. He looked at me and smiled. "My place or yours?"

I put my hand on his thigh. "Mine works."

I gave him directions through the city to my place and once we were outside, it seemed like we couldn't get inside fast enough. We burst through my bedroom door and Ryan had me pinned against the wall. His lips crushed to mine and the next thing I knew, I was in heaven.

--

About a half an hour later, I saw headlights illuminate the wall of my room. I ignored it for the beautiful, tattooed body that was in front of me, though.

...Until I heard the front door open. "Shit." I jumped out of my bed and ran to close the bedroom door before Ads got a show I knew she didn't want to watch. I thought I heard her laugh.

Dammit.

I let it go and crawled back into my bed next to the most amazing sex I'd ever had. He pulled me close and kissed the top of my head. "I'm glad you went to BC, Jamie."

I just snuggled closer. Apparently, that was all it took.

God, I hoped Ads was listening to her iPod.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments from the peanut gallery?