Status: Complete

Past Lives

19

I definitely couldn’t get home soon enough to see Max.

After my run-in with Brooks and my lie, I had gone to my car and cried my eyes out. Then I remembered who I was supposed to meet up with.

Max. He had been wonderful to me, but the fact that he was known as a womanizer still lingered in the back of my head.

I pulled into my driveway to see Max sitting on the front step. I smiled and got out of my car, running to him and giving him a kiss.

“Well it’s nice to see you too.” He said after we finally pulled apart.

I laughed and felt his arms wrap around me.

“You ready to go?”

I gave him a skeptical look. “Where are we going?”

He grabbed my hand and led me to his car. “It’s a surprise.”

Several minutes later, he pulled into the parking lot in front of Carnegie Science Center.
“You brought me… to a science center?”

He laughed and helped me out of his car. “Yes but no. We are going to the Sportsworks exhibit.”

My eyes lit up. “You are now my favorite person in the entire world.”

When we walked in, we decided to go see what was all there, until I saw what I was most interested in.

“An oversized Operation game? Oh my god. I have to do this.” I said as I dragged Max over.

He laughed. “You are such an overgrown child.”

I stuck out my tongue as I tried to the wrench. “Takes one to know one.”

After a couple hours of fun, we decided to head out and grab a bite to eat before he had to leave to go get ready.

As we sat down at a table at Grille 36, he took my hand.

“Today has been fun. I’m glad we came out.”

I smiled. “I love spending time with you. But I do have a question.”

“Oui. Ask away.”

I sighed and pulled my hand away. “I know about your reputation Max. And I just want to know if this is just a thrill for you.”

He shook his head. “Not at all. Adisyn, I knew from the moment I met you that you were different. Every day with you is a new adventure and I learn more and more about you. I was never in this for the thrill of getting you in bed.” He smiled. “I mean, I’m sure it will be great. But I am crazy for you.”

I smiled. “Max, I-“

I was interrupted by his phone going off.

“Fuck it’s Sid. I’ll be right back.” He said as he walked away from the table.

A few minutes later, he walked back looking sad.

“What’s wrong?”

He sat down and waved down a waiter.

“Sid is calling a special meeting before the game.”

“Meaning….”

“Meaning I have 20 minutes to get there or he kick my ass or at least try to.”

After he paid for our drinks, he sped back to my house. As I was getting out of the car, he pulled me close and gave me a kiss.

“I’m sorry bout cutting our date short.”

I smiled at him and placed my hand on his face. “It’s okay. Good luck tonight.”

He gave me another kiss. “Thanks. See you after the game?”

“I’ll be the one in the Talbot jersey.”

I walked into the house smiling ear to ear. I went into my room and threw on his jersey and walked into Jamie’s room.

As I jumped on her bed I asked her how she spent her afternoon.

"Talked about Bugsy a little. Went for a walk with Scuds. Came back here. Made out with Scuds. Almost slept with Scuds." She said nonchalantly.

My jaw dropped and I just shook my head. “Ok, I kind of figured that you two would make out at some point. I mean, come on. But almost sleeping with him? Didn't see that coming, all things considered."

She suddenly looked a tad sad. “Once you sleep with a man who's practically married, nothing seems off limits anymore. Except Philadelphia Flyers. Don't touch them under any circumstance."

I laughed and rolled my eyes as I stood up. “Let’s go hornball, it’s time for the game.”

---

Max looked amazing tonight, like he had an extra hop in his step.

Brooks, on the other hand, looked like he just wasn’t in it. I couldn’t help but wonder if I had something to do with it.

Nah, I thought, there is no way.

After the game, I stood talking to Army’s girlfriend when I felt two arms wrap around me.

“Excuse me mam, I have seemed to have lost my girlfriend.”

I smiled and turned around and gave Max a kiss. “You are such a goof.”

“You are just figuring this out?” Army said as we walked over. “This man never quits.”

“Like you do?” Max retorted.

“Ha freaking ha Maxime. So are you guys coming with us to Fathead’s?”

He looked at me and I just shrugged. “I guess so Army boy.”

An half hour later, I sat in between Jamie and Max talking about the Winter Classic coming up in a few days when we heard yelling behind us.

“Are you fucking kidding me Brooks? Her?”

“Nicole just shut up. You know nothing about her.”

I sat there stunned as me, like everyone else turned to see Brooks and his girlfriend walk in yelling at each other.

“Go ahead Brooks. Tell her exactly what you want to.”

I forgot how to breathe as everyone looked clueless except for me, Jamie, and Scuds.

Oh fuck.