Status: Complete

Past Lives

22

Brooks just stared at me. "I said, " I said in a low voice. No one else needed to know. "What did you do to her?" If it wasn't for Scuds' hand on my thigh, I would have already jumped up. As it was, I nudged his hand away from me. I needed to be ready.

"I didn't do anything." Brooks wouldn't look at me.

"You're a lying bastard." I glared at him. "Brooks Orpik, what did you say to her?"

He motioned Scuds and I outside. I grabbed my stuff. I knew I was going to have to make a getaway. As we walked out, Brooks turned. "Fine. You want to know?" He stared at his feet. "I told her I was in love with her and she felt the same."

I felt my hands balling into fist.

"And?"

"And..." Brooks shook his head before looking me in the eye. "I kissed her."

If Rob had been able to see my hand, he would have grabbed it. My fist was too fast and it collided with Brook's jaw. The second time, it hit his nose. The third time, Rob caught my hand.

"Jamie...come on." He put his arms around my waist, pulling me away from Brooks. "Let's get you home."

I screamed at Brooks in every language I could think of. I called him all sorts of terrible, awful things. I made an ass out of myself. I didn't care. Once again, he had hurt my best friend. Once again, he had to pay. I knew that Ads was still in love with him, but he had no right to open old wounds.

The entire way to my house, Rob tried to calm me down. Nothing worked, though. I was in the kind of mood where the slightest thing would set me off. I was furious. As Rob pulled up in front of my house, I didn't let him kiss me. As he tried to touch his lips to mine, I turned my head, his lips landing on my cheek.

He put his hand on my shoulder. "You and Ads are coming to Buffalo, right?"

I nodded once. "Yeah. We'll be there."

I assumed he smiled. "Good." He pushed hair behind my ear. "We're leaving tomorrow. When are you?"

"Tomorrow night."

"Good." He kissed my hand. "Come find us. We'll go out, you, Ads, Max and I."

I nodded. "Alright." I got out of the car without another word. I probably could have done whatever I wanted with Rob that night, but I had no enthusiasm. I was too angry.

I knew I needed to tell Ads about Max. She needed to know that this wasn't a game anymore. She had two men in love with her and she seemed to love both of them...even if it was in slightly different capacities.

I ran upstairs and pounded on her door. No one answered. I yelled, "Ads!" I thought I heard movement. "Ads, we have to talk. Now."

She opened the door slowly and I held back a smirk for the sheet she was wrapped in. I knew that was coming. I pulled her out into the hall. "Jamie, can't this wait?"

I shook my head. "Listen. The first thing you need to know is that Brooks is sporting another bloody, possibly broken nose. He's also got a bruise on his jaw." Ads grimaced. I continued, "You also need to know that I talked to Max."

Ads looked confused. "About...?"

"About his reputation."

"Why would you do-"

"Because I needed to know what we were dealing with." I took a breath. "Ads, this is the real deal to him. He thinks you're perfect. He has't been seeing anyone else." Before she could say anything, I added, "I heard him talking to Army earlier. Army wanted to know how many other girls were on speed dial. Max said none. The guys all see it. Ads..." I shook my head. "We're in over our heads. Brooks is still in love with you and I think Max is falling."

Ads stared in horror. "What?"

I nodded quickly. "Ads...this isn't a game anymore."

She looked at the floor. "I thought all the nice things he kept saying were a part of his game."

"Not this time." I watched as Ads slid down to sit on the floor. "It all comes down to who doesn't get hurt." I sighed. "Like that's easy."

Ads looked like she was going to cry.

I felt like I was going to vomit.