Status: Complete

Past Lives

24

We decided to go out with the guys first to avoid assaulting the public with the overwhelming smell of chlorine. Ads and I got dressed, deciding to look nice. We were going for sexy...and obnoxious. It was fun to watch the guys squirm. We pulled on jeans and sexy tops. Two pairs of strappy heels later combined with makeup and awesome hair, we emerged from our room. Down in the lobby, we met up with Scuds and Max.

Max looked like a little kid on Christmas. "Ads...you look..." He shook his head. "You look...incredible.

Rob said nothing. His stare said it all.

Romeo and Juliet's Bakery Cafe was adorable. We downed a pizza that rocked my world. Rob didn't move his hand from my leg unless it was necessary. Considering the ensemble I was wearing, I didn't blame him. I had done it intentionally.

Somehow, the guys managed to keep their conversation business related. I had a feeling it was to keep from ripping our clothes off in the bathroom. "So this game is going to be amazing," Max was raving. "The tickets we gave you are incredible. You'll be able to see everything."

Rob smiled. "You can show the Sabres who has the best fans in the world."

Max put his arm around Ads. "And we can show them who has the best team...and therefore the best girlfriends." He kissed Ads and she blushed. Rob just looked uncomfortable.

After dinner, the guys took us down to the Falls. We stood along the railing and took it all in. They were gorgeous. The lights were shining on the mist and made everything magical. It seemed like every time I tried to talk to Ads, she was wrapped up in Max. I finally gave up.

As I leaned against the railing, Rob walked up behind me. "Can I do something I've wanted to since we got down here?"

I turned around. "Sure."

Rob stood behind me and put his arms on the railing on either side of me, pinning me between his body and the railing. I was looking up at him, watching his eyes search me. After a moment, He leaned his face down to whisper in my ear, "Can I kiss you?"

I nodded slowly and Rob moved his head just enough to press his lips to mine.

It was the perfect moment.

After we broke away, I turned to face the water, still pinned to the railing. It was comfortable, though. But I still didn't know if I wanted a relationship with Rob. I didn't know if I was ready for that.

After the Falls, we headed back to the hotel. We grabbed a drink with the guys before heading upstairs. Ads and I had a date with a pool of nice, warm water.

Once Ads and I settled into our room, we grabbed out suits and headed down to the pool. Max decided to join us. As I floated around in undeniable bliss, Ads sat on a lounge chair between Max's legs while he rubbed her shoulders.

"Ads, you're gorgeous, you know that?" Ads was in heaven. I knew her and shoulder rubs; they always made her happy. I looked up as I changed swimming styles and saw Ads' fingers tracing patterns on Max's legs. I knew what they would be doing tonight.

Max smirked as he saw Brooks walk past. I saw the train wreck coming. Oh did that French con lay it on thick. As he rubbed her shoulders, he kissed her neck. He jokingly pulled at the strings on her bikini. She wasn't looking up, so she didn't see Brooks. She just thought Max was being Max. However, when he kept saying things like, "Do you know how amazing you are?" and "Baby, this was the best idea ever" that she looked up. Not to see who was around, but to kiss Max. She just happened to see Brooks as she did so.

Ads smacked Max. "How long has Brooks been standing there?"

Max refused to answer. Ads stood up and glared at him. "How. Long?" She was pissed. Max looked at his feet. Ads turned to me. I wasn't about to ignore her. I knew better.

"Um...about the time Max started kissing your neck." Yes, I ratted him out. However, Ads scared me more than he did. Ads started yelling at Max and I thought that was a good time to leave. I climbed out of the pool, grabbed my towel and flip flops and headed to the room. I needed to think. I needed to figure things out.

I needed to watch where I was going.

I ran into something big and solid. I was afraid it was a wall when the wall spoke.

"Jamie, you ok?" I looked up at the wall and realized that the wall was actually Rob.

Rob was checking out my suit.

Oy vey.

But in all honesty, I needed to tell someone. I needed to tell someone that I was a terrible. horrible person. I needed someone to tell my secret to. Looking up at Rob, I shook my head "no." Even though I was wet and smelled like chlorine, Rob pulled me into a hug. He buried his face in my hair. "What's wrong, love?"

I didn't bother tilting my head up. I just spoke into his chest. "I'm a terrible, horrible person."

Rob pulled back to look at me. "That is the stupidest thing you've ever said," he said as he looked me in the eye. "And remember: I've seen you drunk."

I tried to laugh, but it wouldn't come out. Instead, Rob led me back to his room without a word. He closed the door and walked me over to his bed. I looked down at it and Rob looked at me. "What's wrong?"

"I don't want to get it wet."

Rob laughed. "Jamie, just sit down."

I did as I was told and Rob sat next to me, taking my hands. "Now what happened?"

Sighing, I said, "I don't know where to start."

Rob rubbed my shoulders and arms. "The beginning's a pretty good place."

I nodded and started in on the story. I told him everything; moving to Pittsburgh, knowing that Brooks lived here; meeting up with Brooks; recognizing Max when he came over; telling Ads to use Max. Then I moved on to the part where Max was falling in love with Ads, Brooks was still in love with Ads, and Ads was in love with them both.

By the end of it all, I was crying. Rob pulled me into his chest and held me tight. "Hey...Jamie..." He rubbed my back and kissed the top of my head. "Baby, it's ok."

I shook my head. "No, it's not." I still spoke into the shirt I had to be ruining. "I'm ruining lives."

"Shhh..." He shook his head. "You're trying to make everyone happy."

"I told Ads to use Max."

"And now you're trying to fix it."

"I'm still an awful person."

Rob pulled me back to look at me. "Well then I'm an awful person for thinking you're an amazing person."

We looked at each other for a minute before Rob leaned in and gently kissed my forehead, then my nose. He kissed both cheeks and, finally, my mouth. I returned his kiss. For a minute, we just exchanged soft, gentle kisses. But then I felt Rob's tongue and I granted him access. The kiss deepened further and I felt his fingers playing with strings for my top. I started to fumble with the buttons on his shirt. Once that was off, Rob pulled slowly on the strings. My top came off and graced the floor. This continued until there was nothing left but the very bottoms. I thought I heard a knock on the door, but I was probably hearing things. I ignored it. Rob did, too.

As things were about to get amazing, the door flew open. "Rob, are you - OH MY GOD."

I looked up to see Brooks staring at us.

Naked.

I yelped and grabbed the pillow to cover myself. Rob looked like he was going to kill Brooks. "BROOKS, WHAT THE HELL?"

Brooks covered his eyes and backed, stumbling, to the door. "I'm sorry!" He found the door and backed awkwardly outside, yelling, "I'll call you later!" before slamming the door.

Rob glared at the door. "Every fucking time." He looked back at me. "Jamie, I'd understand if you didn't want to-"

I launched myself at him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ohhh, Brooks...Poor man.