Status: Complete

Past Lives

25

I was always a sucker for shoulder rubs.

Max and I were sitting by the pool as Jamie swam when Max started to give me one of the most amazing massages ever. I closed my eyes and decided to enjoy it.

That was until Max started to lay it on thick, I knew something was fishy. When I looked up to give him a kiss, I saw Brooks chilling on another lounge chair.

I smacked Max’s arm. “How long has Brooks been standing there?”

When he didn’t say anything, I got up off the chair and walked over to get my stuff. “How. Long.”

“Um… about the time Max started kissing your neck.” Jamie said as she got out of the pool.

“Are you fucking kidding me?” I stared down Max. “What the fuck do I look like? A fucking whore?”

“Baby no. I just-“ Max said as he got off the chair and started walking towards me.

I put my hand up to stop him. “I don’t give a shit at the moment. Fuck, all you guys are the same. In it just for the fucking ego trip.”

I pushed past Brooks as I walked out of the pool and up to my room. Max was close behind.
“Adisyn, I’m sorry okay? I don’t know what got into me.”

I laughed as I put my key card into my door granting me access to my room. “I do. You decided that it would be fun to fuck with his head because I chose you. I don’t give a fuck if it is a guy thing or not. It was over the line.”

“Can I at least come in so we can talk about this?”

I thought for a moment. “No, I need time to think.” And with that, I slammed the door in his face.

--

I wasn’t a big drinker, but I sure as hell could have used one at that moment.

I texted Jamie, telling her to meet me in the hotel bar in ten minutes, only to not receive a reply back.

Hmm. That’s odd.

I put on my favorite pair of jeans and a long sleeve shirt and went down to the bar.

An hour later, and several unanswered text messages to Jamie later, I had downed about ten shots and several Jack and cokes.

“You think you have had enough yet?”

I turned my head to see Brooks sit down beside me. I rolled my eyes and downed another shot of Jose.

“Fuck no. What are you doing here? Stalking me?”

He laughed as he ordered a drink. “Well no. I came down to get a drink and saw you trying to kill yourself.”

I snorted. “Please, if I wanted to kill myself, I would of already. I am just trying to forget everything.”

“Like what?”

So like most drunks, when I drink, the truth comes out. Never a good thing.

“Why should I fucking tell you?”

He sighed and had the bartender pour me two more shots. “Because right now, I am here as a friend.”

I downed the shots. “Yeah right. You trying to be a friend? Let me ask you something. When you saw Max and I by the pool were you overly jealous?”

“Yes.”

I nodded. “Good.”

“Why is that a good thing?”

“Cause the was ‘the plan’.” I said using air quotes.

He arched an eyebrow. “The plan?”

I rolled my eyes. “Yes the bloody plan Jamie came up with to make you feel what I did.”

“Her plan was for you date Max?”

“Yes. But it backfired.”

“What do you mean?”

I sighed and downed another shot. “He really likes me Brooks.”

He took a big gulp of his drink. “What about you?”

I stared at him. “What about me?”

He rolled his eyes. “What do you feel about him?”

“I.. I don’t know.” I said as I suddenly got depressed and tears started to form.

“Aww jesus Ads. Don’t cry.” Brooks said as he put his arms around me.

“I just wish I could go back six years and take it all back.”

Brooks pulled away and looked shocked. “What are you talking about? I am the one that left.”

I sniffled. “I know. But we could of worked shit out, or I could of moved with you.”

“But what about your degree?”

I shrugged. “I could have finished it up at a different school. I’m sure I could have found something.”

He laughed. “Now I know you are beyond drunk. You would have never given up Boston College. Let’s get you to bed.”

As he tried to lift me off the chair, I protested. “No! I wanna spend more time with Jack and Jose!”

He laughed and carried me out of the bar. “I don’t think so.”

As we got to my room, he put me down so I could dig out my key. I spent fifteen minutes trying to just get into my pocket, until he finally gave up on me and reached into my pocket.

“Oh Brooksy getting frisky aren’t we?” I said laughing.

He rolled his eyes and guided me into the room. “Yeah, you are definitely drunk.”

I stumbled into the room and fell onto my bed. “Come lay with me Brooksy. I missed laying with you.”

He looked through my suitcase. “We really need to get you changed for bed, sleeping in jeans suck.”

I sat up and pulled him down on top of me.

I giggled and kissed his neck. “Remember when you got drafted and the fun we had afterwards?”

“Ads this isn’t such a good idea. “ He said as he pushed himself up to look in my eyes.

“Yes it is.” I said as I grabbed his face and kissed him.

Everything after that went black.

--

The next morning I woke up to someone screaming. Holy fucking hangover headache.

I sat up and opened my eyes to see Jamie sitting here with a shocked expression.

“Adisyn Grace. What the fuck did you do last night?”

“What do you mean?”

She pointed to the spot beside me in my bed. I expected to see Max. But instead…. There laid Brooks.

“Oh my god.”
♠ ♠ ♠
DUN DUN DUN