Status: Complete

Past Lives

27

“Come on Jamie. Open this fucking door. We need to have a talk.” Sid said as he pounded more.

I looked at Jamie confused. Why would Sid need to talk to us?

She walked over to the door and let him in. “What’s up my captain oh captain?”

“Quit with the cuteness. I know what you did.” Sidney said looking at the both of us.

I gulped. “What do you mean?”

“About Jamie’s plan to get you and Max together to make Brooks jealous. Why the fuck would that make him jealous?”

My jaw dropped. “How did you-“

“Answer my question before I answer yours.”

Jamie sighed. “Adisyn and Brooks were together at BC before he left for Wilkes-Barre. Then he decided to go all macho and they broke up. She gave up hockey because it hurt too much to watch a game. He ruined her. And I saw what seeing her and Max together did to Brooks.”

Sid sighed and sat down on the bed. “Ads, do.. do you still love Brooks.”

I look down and my hands. “Yes.” I softly said.

“You realize that this is gonna kill Max. Knowing Brooks was here all night.”

I jumped off the bed. “No Sid, you cannot tell him. It.. it will kill him.”

Jamie jumped in. “Look Sid, the thing you don’t understand is, Max is falling for her, and her him.”

There was a brief moment of silence before Sid stood up. “Ads, you have to tell Max exactly what happened last night. And Jamie, you have to tell him about the game.”

“But I don’t even know if anything happened!” I pleaded.

“Well, you better find out. And fast.” Sid said as he walked out the door.

--

An hour or so later, I knocked on Brooks’ door and Rob answered the door. I rolled my eyes.

“Oh look, big pimpin’ answered the door.”

“Ads, Brooks told me what happened and –“

I held up my hand. “Is that asshole here?”

Brooks looked around the corner. “Let her in Scuds.”

I stared him down as I walked to him. Right before he could say anything, I slapped him.

“What the fuck Ads?” He said rubbing his cheek.

“Now that I have that much out of my system. I want to know exactly what happened last night.”

He smirked. “In another words, you want to know if we fucked.”

I winced. “More or less, yes.”

Rob chimed in before Brooks could continue. “I think I am going to go find one of the guys to go get something to eat.”

I narrowed my eyes at him. “Good idea. Why don’t you go fuck my best friend again so when I need her she doesn’t show?”

“Jesus fucking Christ Ads. Get the fuck over it.” Rob said as he walked out.

I turned my attention back to Brooks. “So what’s the answer Brooks? Did we or didn’t we?”

He sighed. “First off, everything you said last night. Did you mean it?”

I threw my hands up. “God damnit Brooks! I don’t even remember you walking up to me at the bar let alone our conversations.”

“You said if you could take back the past six years, you would.”

I opened my mouth, and then closed it. “In all honesty, yeah, I would take back those six years. Get my life back on track. Fuck, Brooks. I love you more than anything. But the thing is, nothing will ever be the same between us. We would still have that hatred between us for those past six years. I mean, you didn’t even know I have been in Pittsburgh since 2004. Why did it take us three years to finally run into each other? Is it fate or just pure coincidence? I don’t know.”

He moved closer to me and lifted my chin. “I don’t know either. But what I do know is that I love you and I was stupid. I want every big moment in my life to happen with you by my side. Whether it be winning the Stanley Cup or watching our children grow up, I want you there with me.”

“I… I just don’t know.” I said backing up towards the door. “I need time Brooks.”

He just nodded as I got to the door. Before I closed it behind me, he called out to me.
I turned around. “Yeah?”

He ran his hand through his hair. “The answer to your question? No we didn’t. I couldn’t do that to you.”

I gave him a small smile and walked out.

--

When I walked back into the room I shared with Jamie, I quickly saw Max sitting on the bed talking to Jamie. He looked up and saw me, with a sad look in his eye.

“I think I will let you two talk.” Jamie said as gave me a hug before she walked out.

I stood there looking at him as he just stared at the floor. I walked over and sat in front of him.

“Max I-“

“Jamie told me everything. About the game.”

I looked down at my hands. “I should have never agreed to it Max. I am so sorry.”

He took my hands and lifted my chin to look at him. “Everything I have said to you hasn’t been a lie Adisyn. I really am falling, falling hard in fact. I just don’t know if anything you have told me has been true.”

I felt like crying. “Oh my god Max. Everything I have said to you has been the truth. I.. I care for you too.”

“But you still love Brooks.”

I put my head down and slowly nodded. “I am so sorry Max.”

He stood up. “I cannot deal with this right now. I need time to think.”

I try to get up after him. “Max I am sorr-“

He held his hand up. “Ads just.. I.. no we need a break.”

I bit my lip to hold back tears and nodded. He kissed my forehead and walked out of my room.

I fell onto my bed and let the tears fall.