Status: Complete

Past Lives

3o

March, 2009

In the year that had passed, things had changed once again.

Brooks and Ads were inseparable. If they weren't at work, Brooks was at our house or Ads was at his. I had learned to trust him again...after threatening him with a hockey stick for the first month and a half he and Ads were together again. It was just nice to see everyone happy. Max finally seemed to be ok again. I was glad. I had really felt like an ass for everything.

Ryan had signed with the Lightning after a devastating loss to the Wings in game 6 at the Igloo. My life got a little easier; I felt guilty every time I saw him. Don't get me started about when I saw his wife.

Ryan Whitney was traded to Anaheim for Chris Kunitz and a prospect, left wing, Eric Tangradi. Army left for Atlanta. Erik went with him. Ok, he didn't leave. We traded him. But...He was gone and I wasn't left with the urge to punch him every time I saw his stupid face.

Ruutu went to the Senators. Gary went with Bugsy to Tampa. Georges signed with Montreal. Darryl was sent back to Dallas.

Scuds and I...well, we were never official. We had sex. We had a lot of sex, actually. We just never made anything official. Ads tormented me, but I still wasn't sure if I could handle a relationship with Scuds. It was just...a weird concept.

Says the one who's sleeping with him...

Some new guys came to Pittsburgh, too. Michael Zigomanis, Philippe Boucher, Matheiu Garon, and Bill Guerin all came through trades. Eric Godard, Miroslav Satan, Ruslan Fedotenko, and Matt Cooke signed during free agency.

Then there was a guy they claimed from Chicago off waivers. His name was Craig Adams and Brooks kept telling me I needed to meet him. He gave Ads and I tickets for the game against the Panthers on the 10th. "Trust me," he said.

I pulled on the Penguins jersey Brooks had gotten me for Christmas: an authentic Mario Lemieux 1991 away jersey. I absolutely loved it. Brooks had laughed as I pulled it on. "At least it's still black and gold." He had gotten an Orpik jersey for Ads, of course. I heard Ads calling me from downstairs.

"Let's go, Jamie!" I thought I heard her groan. "We've gotta go!"

I pulled my long hair back to show off the nameplate (as if Pens fans needed it when a 66 was involved) and grabbed my purse. Downstairs I jumped into the car and watched the city go by as Ads drove to the arena.

"You're never this quiet."

"Not true." I played with the hem of my jersey.

"You're nervous."

"Nope."

Ads parked by the arena and we climbed out to join the sea of black and gold. Once we were inside, I went and bought a beer. I wanted to get something into my system to avoid making an ass out of myself.

Granted, my alcohol wasn't the best choice for that...

--

God, I loved hockey.

It was fun to watch Gods keep the Panthers honest. I was disappointed that there hadn't been any fights. As for Adams, he was good. I had no idea what he looked like. I hadn't want to creep. I just knew that Ads had handed me the phone while the guys were on a road trip and Brooks told me I needed to meet Craig.

We headed downstairs and waited for the guys. As they trickled out, Jordan stopped and said, "I think we're heading down to Diesel." He smiled, "You guys coming?"

I nodded. "I think so." Turning to look at Ads, I added, "Right?"

She laughed. "I'm pretty sure."

Jordan smiled. "Awesome. See you there!" He headed outside to meet his growing crowd of prospective wives. I smirked as I saw Brooks sneak up behind Ads and wrap his arms around her waist.

"So I thought about taking my girlfriend to Diesel, but how about I take you instead?"

Ads giggled and turned to kiss him before retorting, "How will your poor girlfriend react?"

I made a retching sound and Brooks flipped me off. "You're just bitter that you're not in a relationship."

I smirked. "Oh, I'm in a relationship." I crossed my arms. "It's just a very...charged relationship."

This time it was Brooks who made the retching noises. "Alright, more about your and Rob's sex life than I wanted or needed to know."

I laughed as we all headed out to the cars. Diesel was going to be awesome.

As I drove down to South Side, I felt myself getting nervous. I wondered about Craig. What did he look like? What was his personality like? As I pulled into a parking space, I saw the guys sneaking in their usual entrance. I slipped over with them and headed inside while talking to Sid.

Sid smiled. "Want to dance?"

"Sure!" I shouted over the music. We danced a little before Brooks came up behind me and tapped my shoulder.

He pointed to a tall man with dark hair and dark eyes. I smiled; he was...hot. Brooks smiled. He knew what I was thinking. He patted Craig's shoulder. "Craig, this is Jamie!" He smiled at me again. "Jamie, this is Craig!"

I extended my hand. "Nice to meet you!" I smiled as I said this. I couldn't not smile around him.

Craig took my hand. "My pleasure." He kissed my hand and kept it. "Want to dance?" He looked at Sid for permission. Sid held up his hands in defeat and walked away. I nodded at Craig.

"Definitely."

He put his hands on my hips and we started dancing. He was a really good dancer. I smiled the entire time. Granted, by the end of it we were grinding. Craig leaned down and said in my ear, "Want to go outside?"

I nodded and let him lead me outside. He smiled at me. "Brooks has told me a lot about you."

"I really hope only the good stuff." I laughed nervously. "Brooks has some real dirt on me." So does Scuds...

Craig nodded. "He said you, his girlfriend, him and Scuds all went to college together."

I nodded again. "Yup. We were really close." I smiled. "We still are."

Craig smiled and said, "Can I ask you one thing?"

You can ask me anything. Anything you want. I just want to hear you talk. "Shoot."

Craig blushed a little. "I know this is soon," he started nervously, "but I just wanted to see if there was anything without preconceived notions."

I tilted my head. "What do you mean?"

He put his hand on the side of my face and said, "This," before touching his lips softly to mine. The electric shock was millions of times stronger than anything had ever been with Scuds. That's when I realized something: I wasn't in love with Scuds, I just really liked sex. But with Craig?

There were some serious possibilities.