Status: Complete

Past Lives

33

After I got done dancing around our kitchen, I told Jamie I would be back.

I drove over to Brooks’ house and sat on his porch until I saw him drive up.

He got out of the car looking worried. “Ads I didn’t mean to scare you I just-“

I shut him up with a kiss. “The answer is yes.”

“Wait what?”

I smiled. “The answer is yes. I will move in with you.”

His eyes went bright as he picked me up and spun me around. I laughed when he finally put me down.

“So we will get the guys to help move your stuff and then we can-“

“Slow down perky puppy. I didn’t say I was moving in today.”

“But-“

I held up my hand. “No buts. I still have to pack and I cannot up and leave Jamie. I gotta have some girl time with her. I haven’t lived with anyone besides her since freshman year of college. Oh, by the way, once I do move in here, me and her are doing dinner once or twice a week, alternating houses.”

“And I take it I am not invited.”

I laughed and shook my head. “Not unless she says otherwise, but knowing how you two are, I want to say probably not.”

He rolled his eyes. “Fine. You two can take over the house once or twice every other week.”

I smiled and gave him a kiss. “Oh I wasn’t acting for permission.”

“And the hostile takeover begins.” Brooks said as he walked into the house.

“Hostile takeover?” I said as I followed him into the kitchen. “I mean, if you think of it that way, then maybe I shouldn’t be moving in.”

Brooks rolled his eyes as he put his arms around me. “It was a joke dear. You can do whatever you want to this house. I want it to feel like home to you.”

“So, if I wanted to paint the bedroom hot pink you would let me?”

He grimaced. “If you wanted to paint the bedroom… hot pink… I would let you.”

“And a frilly comforter and pillows for the bed?”

“Please tell me you are just joking now.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Am I Brooks? Am I?”

He stared at me for a moment, trying to figure out if I was joking until I busted out laughing.

“Geezus Ads, don’t scare me like that. I was getting worried I was going to be living in a dollhouse.”

I smacked his arm and we went to the fridge to find something to eat. “Me sleeping in a pink bedroom? And I thought you knew me better than that.”

“Well I mean, you are a girl. Most girls like pink.”

I rolled my eyes and jumped on the counter. “So what is my favorite color Brooks?”

He pulled his head out of the fridge and looked at me. “Green.”

“Lucky guess.” I said as I grabbed an orange and started to peel it. “What is my… birthday?”

“Easy. April first. I remember that cause before we dated I made fun of you for being a joke baby.” He walked over and stole a piece of orange. “What is with all the questions?”

I shrugged. “Just seeing how much you really know about me.”

“Too much.” He said as he picked up the phone. “I am ordering food. Chinese or Italian?”

--

When Brooks left for the rink, I headed back to my house to get ready for the game.

I walked in to see Jamie playing NHL 10 on our Playstation 3.

“Shouldn’t you be getting ready? The game starts in like an hour and a half.”

“I am playing the Wings in a Game 7 in the Finals. So shush. And besides, all I have to do is throw on a jersey.”

I rolled my eyes and went upstairs to shower and get ready. When I came back downstairs, Jamie was dancing around the living room singing “We are the Champions”.

“I take it you beat the Wings?” I said as I threw on my jersey.

“Fuck yes. 3-2 final in overtime.”

I rolled my eyes as I followed her out to her car. “Too bad it wasn’t real life.”

“Eh, we will get the cup this year. Just watch.”

When we got to the arena and to our seats, the boys were on the ice practicing.

“So Jamie. What did you get into after I left the club last night?”

She rolled her eyes. “Is it really important?”

I nudged her. “Come on, spill the details.”

“God you are so pushy, I don’t push you for details between you and Brooks.”

“Probably cause you don’t want to hear about our boring lives. Now spill.”

“Fine. I drank myself drunk. Scuds offered me a ride home. I denied him. Went outside trying to decide what to do. Craig came out and drove me home in my car. Made sure I got into bed. Then he slept on the couch.” She said as her eyes never left the ice.

“Wait. You turned down sex with Scuds and Craig slept on the couch?” I felt her forehead. “Nope you aren’t sick. So what the hell?”

She rolled her eyes. “I just.. don’t know. Ever since that kiss between me and Craig, I just have had these feelings in the pit of my stomach that won’t go away. He was such a gentleman, didn’t even try to get in my pants last night. So I don’t know what to do.”

What I couldn’t tell her was that she was falling hard… and fast... for one Craig Adams.