Status: Complete

Past Lives

36

Two weeks passed and before I knew it, Ads' birthday celebration was upon us. The guys had a game that night, so I spent the day shopping with Ads while the guys practiced. I had missed our girl time.

"Jamie, this is great," Ads said as she sipped her white chocolate mocha. "Thank you so much."

"Hey, its my pleasure, Birthday Girl!" I threw the empty passion tea lemonade cup in the trash and readjusted my bags. I had gotten a little excited in Pro-Image and had more stuff than I really needed...especially when I was dating a guy on the team.

Ads pointed to my bag. "Are you gonna wear your new Francis jersey tonight?"

I smiled. "Maybe."

She rolled her eyes. "I can't believe Craig hasn't given you one of his jerseys yet."

I laughed. "Ads, come on. We're taking things...slow." It was true. We'd gone on four real dates over the last two weeks and we hadn't really fooled around. We'd made out, but we hadn't shed clothes yet. I really was trying to grow up.

Ads smiled. "How's that going?" She threw her own empty cup away and pulled out a piece of gum.

Smiling, I said, "Ads...he's amazing."

I told her everything. The dates we'd gone on. The fact that we weren't rushing things. The fact that sex was never even discussed, really. We truly just liked being together. Things were great. He was so sweet and we had a lot in common.

We went back to my house to get ready. It was still weird saying "my" instead of "our." I grabbed my Francis jersey out of the bag and pulled it on. Ads appeared in her usual Orpik jersey and we played some NHL10 until it was time to leave.

Outside, we climbed into my car and I drove towards the arena. Ads loved her new house. She loved living with Brooks and I had noticed how much closer they were. There was...something there that wasn't there before.

Inside, we grabbed our seats and got ready for warm-ups. I grabbed a beer from the first vendor I saw and we discussed our chances for the playoffs. Then we discussed our men. I heard the girls behind us gasp. I ignored it. Ads turned around. "What?"

A blonde, stupid-looking one replied, "You're dating one of the players?"

Ads rolled her eyes. "I don't see how that's any of your business."

Another, this one with dark brown hair and too much makeup said, "If I give you my number, will you give it to Sid?"

I turned around before Ads could say anything and interjected, "If you give me your number, I'll give it to Brodeur and then punch you in the face."

"Bitch."

"Yeah, I know." I turned around to face the ice while Ads laughed hysterically.

Still laughing, she said, "This is why I just let you handle things."

We made fun of the morons behind us the entire game. They had no idea what was going on. Halfway through the third, we heard, "The Penguins - and especially Brooks Orpik - would like to wish a very happy birthday to Adisyn!" I pointed to the scoreboard so that she could see the message there:

Happy Birthday, Ads. I love you more than anything! - Brooks

A collective "awww" went up from the sell-out crowd and I saw Brooks point up to Ads. She blew him a kiss and I gave her a hug. She seemed to think this was all she was in for.

--

After whipping the Stars 4-1, we went downstairs. Once the guys were rounded up, we headed out. But not before Brooks blindfolded Ads. I rode with Craig and he held my hand the entire way to Carson. As well climbed out of the car, he said, "Hold on a second." I saw him pull something out of a bag and he walked over to me. "I want you to have this."

I was handed one of Craig's home jerseys. "Craig, I love it." I pulled my Francis jersey off to reveal my black tank top. The jersey was huge, just the way I loved them.

He smiled, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me close. "It suits you." He kissed me. As I returned the kiss, I realized there was no where else I wanted to be. In his arms, wearing his jersey, kissing him back...it was perfect.

"OW OW!"

"GET 'IM, TIGER!"

"GOOO ADSYYY!"

I didn't even break the kiss as I flipped them all off. Craig picked me up and spun me around before setting me down and pulling away. "Jamie...would you..." He smiled nervously. "Would you want to be my girlfriend?"

I didn't hesitate. "Yes."

The guys cheered and Craig kissed me once more for good measure. We walked inside to get ready for the surprise. Thanks to everyone at work, Excuses had closed that night for a private party. The entire team was there with their various wives and girlfriends. The bar was staffed with friends of Ads and I, and there was food, booze and cake for all. A table in the back was covered in presents from the team. I couldn't wait until Brooks get Ads here.