Status: On Hold Until I Like It Again

A Tornado Meets A Volcano

Ten

''You were back late.'' Lucy piped up as we gathered our things together for our journey back to North Dakota.

''I know, sorry if I woke you. Was real brave of you to sleep with the door unlocked.'' I replied, commending her.

''Well, you didn't wake me, I couldn't sleep in case someone tried to attack me.'' Lucy replied, chuckling a little. ''Did you manage to meet anyone?'' She asked as she lugged her bag onto her shoulder.

I thought for a minute. Did I want to tell her? Would she believe me? ''Nope, that long wait for nothing.'' I lied, zipping up my bag.

''Not to worry, next time, yeah?'' She grinned.

''Always a next time.'' I replied and we both left the room. I handed the key back into the woman at the front desk and walked out to my car with Lucy. We threw our bags in the trunk and we both climbed in getting ourselves comfy for the long trip back.

***

''I'll call you tomorrow, yeah?'' Lucy said as I dropped her off at her house. I nodded, smiled and she gave a wave as she walked up to her front door, pushing it open and letting herself in.

The drive back from New Jersey was filled with talks about My Chemical Romance and how we thought their new album would turn out. I didn't once mention Frank to her or what had happened. To me, it all seemed surreal, like I'd just imagined the whole thing and Frank wouldn't even know who I was any more.

I pulled up in my own driveway and climbed out of my car, pulling my bag behind me. I pushed open the door to be greeted by nothing but silence.

''Mum, dad?'' I called out, expecting an answer. I lugged my bag to the laundry room promising myself I would get it done at some point. I walked into the kitchen to see a note pinned to my refrigerator door.

'Cleo, I knew you'd forget so I've left this note so you don't need to worry. Your father and I booked a week away in New York so we'll get back on the 23rd. You know where the money is and you have our numbers if you need us. Love you. See you in a few weeks xx'

I sighed in relief, a faint memory of them telling me they'd be gone by the time I'd get back flooding in.

I was far too tired to do my washing so I flopped down onto my sofa, flicking through the TV channels, not looking for anything in particular. I felt my eyes closing and I battled to keep them open. I knew I needed sleep so I couldn't fight much longer and let sleep take over me.

Even my sofa was better than that awful bed and my car seat.

***

I woke from what I thought was an hour nap to the sound of some annoying woman's voice trying to sell a vacuum cleaner to who ever was watching that particular shopping channel. My eyes glanced towards the clock on the wall that read one thirty am.

Sitting up I rubbed my neck, trying to stretch it out and wake myself up. I knew being awake at half past one and not going back to sleep was a bad idea but I decided to do my washing just so it was out of the way.

I turned off the TV and walked to the laundry room and flopped down beside my bag, pulling out my clothes I'd taken on my short trip and began to load them into the machine. I was about to scrunch up my jeans and throw them in also when I noticed a piece of paper sticking out the back pocket.

I pulled it out and my eyes scanned the writing over and over in case I was just seeing things and my half sleepy state was fooling me.

'I couldn't just let you leave. I'd like to get to know you. Call or something, Frank x'

He'd written his...or what I believed to be his cell phone number at the bottom. I quickly shoved my clothes into the machine and turned it on. I walked slowly up to my bedroom and pulled out my cell phone as I sat on my bed.

I stared at the note some more. Did I call? What did I say?

I checked the time which read one forty five. I knew calling him at that time would be a bad idea, plus I didn't know what to say, I couldn't even be sure he'd given me his correct number. I didn't want to wake a sleeping person I didn't know but I couldn't wait until the morning so I decided to text him.

I paused for a few moments trying to decide what to write. Did I burst into conversation or be subtle about it?

After ten minutes of debating I typed my message and clicked send.

Replying to 'Is this you?' couldn't be hard, right?
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to my new subscribers and the comments I've had. Much appreciated =]