Status: On Hold Until I Like It Again

A Tornado Meets A Volcano

Four

‘‘Wake up, Lucy!’’ I groaned not wanting to be in the rotten room I’d almost managed to sleep in any longer.

‘‘Just a few more minutes please.’’ She grumbled, rolling onto her side. I wasn’t even sure how she managed to sleep all night; the smell alone kept me awake.

‘‘I’m going to find breakfast, I’ll be back later.’’ I huffed and walked out of the room, locking it behind me so she couldn't leave.

I walked out of the hotel and breathed in the fresh air, letting it take over and making me slightly light headed. I left my car in the car park and decided to walk a few blocks to see if I would come across a store or café.

It was nice out and I let the sun hit my fairly tanned skin. I had thrown on my dark grey vest top and some old black skinny jeans that were torn at the knee. I’d slipped my black and white vans on for ease and slung my backpack over my shoulders, holding a jacket just in case the weather turned bad on me.

I wasn’t entirely sure where I was going; I had been walking for twenty minutes and came across no place of eatery. I rounded a few more corners, walked a few more blocks then realised I was never going to make it back without getting lost. I shrugged looking forward to the adventure and continued to walk.

‘‘Finally, somewhere to eat!’’ I called aloud, gaining a few stares from passers-by. I ignored them and walked towards the small café called ‘Jim's Place’. It wasn’t the most eye catching of buildings, it was dark, with no colour, but once I was inside, I noticed the retro theme this Jim had clearly tried to create.

There were red booths, a jukebox, the floor was made up of black and white squares and the table counter was a bright white. The music playing wasn’t what I expected to hear though; it was quite heavy and loud. I liked it.

I pulled up a seat at the counter, there was very few people in. A small group at one booth and the odd couple dotted around. It was only about nine in the morning on a Saturday, I didn’t expect to see many people anywhere.

‘‘What can I get you ma’am?’’ I heard a gruff voice from behind me ask. I whipped my head around to face the balding man wearing a bright blue shirt. He was clean shaven but the bags under his eyes showed he’d probably been up early to get himself looking so presentable.

‘‘Um, just the waffles and berries please.’’ I replied, scanning my eyes over the menu, ‘‘and a small glass of milk.’’ I finished.

‘‘No bother,’’ he replied, ‘‘two waffles and berries and a cup of the weak stuff!’’ He turned and yelled into the kitchen. He then hit the bell and walked off to see to another two customers that had just entered.

I sat looking around the café...well it was more of a diner, and waited for my breakfast. I swung my legs lightly and tapped my fingers in no particular tune on the counter top.
‘‘Here you go; waffles, berries and milk. Enjoy.’’ A girl said as she put my plate down in front of me, then walked off without so much as a smile.

I thanked her anyway and proceeded to eat. I shoved a mouthful of waffle into my mouth, I could hardly chew I’d put that much in but they were delicious I couldn’t help myself.

‘‘Cleo,’’ I heard someone state rather than ask my name. I turned to see who it was and almost died at the sight of him. Frank was stood behind me, hands shoved into the pockets of a pair of black, lose fitting jeans, a black misfits t-shirt was clinging to his torso and a pair of beat up converse sat on his feet. His hair was messy, as if he’d just woken up and rolled out of bed.

I tried so hard to swallow my mouthful of waffle but it was too hard, it was almost stuck as a lump in my throat. I could feel my cheeks burning and my temper rise since I was annoyed at myself for looking a fool.

‘‘Hungry?’’ He asked, taking a seat next to me.

I chewed my food and swallowed, taking a sip of milk to wash it away. ‘‘Quite.’’ I replied bluntly.

Frank took my fork from my hand and cut a piece for himself. It was as if he’d known me for years, taking my fork, eating my food.

‘‘Do you mind?’’ I asked; shocked at what he’d just done.

‘‘Do you mind?’’ He repeated my question, but held a different meaning to it.

I ignored his question and scowled at the side of his head as he continued to pick at my food. He took a gulp of my milk and turned to face me.

‘‘You here for the show tonight?’’ He asked me, resting the side of his head on his hand, gazing at me, his eyes roaming my body just like the first time we’d met.

‘‘I might be, I might just be here for a trip.’’ I stated, taking the fork from his other hand and continued to eat my waffles. ‘‘You know, it’s very uncomfortable having someone stare at you while you try to eat.’’ I commented through bites.

‘‘Maybe you shouldn’t eat when I’m talking to you.’’ Frank stated, still staring.

‘‘How come you noticed me? I thought I was too plain to be noticed.’’ I asked him, bringing up what he’d said to me at the last show I was at.

‘‘You are plain. Look at you, all in black, your hair scraped back into a plain bobble, plain shoes.’’ Frank said, pointing out everything that was ‘plain’ about me.

‘‘So how did you know it was me?’’ I asked, ‘‘anyone could look this plain.’’ I took another bite of my food.

‘‘No one can be like you. It’s why I like you.’’ Frank whispered as he leaned forward.

I almost choked on my food as he said it. I turned to look at him and he got down from his seat and walked towards the door.

‘‘See you at the show tonight.’’ Was the last thing he said before leaving me alone, sitting stunned and confused at what had just been said.
♠ ♠ ♠
I do hope you lot like this