Dancing To A Song With No Lyrics

Chapter Twenty.

I woke up the next morning with an awful headache and my hair felt gross. I reached next to me hoping to find Patrick in the same place he was last night. All I felt was where someone had been the night before. No one was next to me. I sat up and looked around for any sign that he was still here. My flip flops in the corner, jeans next to the bed, Blackhawks shirt on the chair. All those were mine. Black coat, no, that was not mine. I got up quickly and went and grabbed it. I was excited for a split second until I remembered, he left it here several nights ago. I went into the living room hoping that maybe he was in my kitchen making breakfast like he had done so many mornings before. But it was empty, all the lights were off except for one I always kept on. I sat on the couch with the jacket and started to cry. How could you just leave someone like that? Not to mention he used me the night before. I loved Patrick, I honestly saw myself having a life with this man. I laid down on the couch and held his coat next to me. I stopped crying for a bit but just felt empty. He was my best friend and all I really had some days. He was my family. I looked at the clock and I realized I had been laying here for almost two hours. I sat up and looked around my apartment. There were pictures of me and Patrick hanging up on the walls and sitting on the mantle. There was a vase of lilacs that he got me last week when he got back from a road trip. Everything in my apartment reminded me of him. He had things left here, his coat, books, even some shirts when I did laundry for him. Two weeks ago, he brought up the idea of me moving in with him and now we aren't even together. What happened? I got up and put the coat on a chair by my kitchen table. I turned over the picture of Patrick and I at dinner with his friends and I went to take a shower. I thought about crying in the shower but I couldn't. I felt empty, I didn't know what to do now. I needed to get my head straight so after I got dressed, I went downstairs and went to go get Starbucks. I had to take a deep breath because that's where I met Patrick. That's where my mistake began. I looked across the street and saw a car parked. I was about to go inside when I noticed who was in the car. It was Patrick with his head leaning on the steering wheel.