Strength of the World

Chapter 24

You know a person's right for you when you can't help but think you want to be with them forever. This is how I feel about you in hopes that you get the same feelings. My emotions are constantly running haywire for you. You are my heart throb and I love you. Forever you will be in my heart and love is the hardest thing to write about. It's even harder to show. I'm getting butterflies in my stomach just copying these very words and thoughts to paper. Please be with me. Never leave me until the end. Wehn I take my very last breath. I'll love you for all eternity Brian, I promise.
Love,
Katie

I sat in the kitchen to write him this note. I'm deathly scared of planes and maybe this way I can get a little more relaxed and get comfort. I had to get out before we left on our trip. Hopefully I'm back soon. I'm sure I will be. It's 3:25 am...obviously I couldn't sleep. Not even in the embrace of Brian. I always told him I had a harder time when I had nightmares. God, planes suck ass. I always felt something bad would happen. I decided to call Jimmy, one of my best friends ever.
"Jimmy?"
"Katie what's wrong? Are you okay!?"
"Yeah, I'm fine. Just wanted to go out before we all left. I left Brian a note...didn't wanna wake him. Will you tell him for me if he thinks anything?"
"Sure thing sis. Would you like me to come with you for a while?"
"No, I'd just like to be alone right now."
"Alright then. I'll tell him, love you sis."
"Love you too...bye." I hung up the phone, put the letter upstairs next to Brian on the nightstand, and headed for the door. I walked down to the beach. There was nothing like staring at the water wave towards you, almost like it was calling for you and it wanted you. The stars were just beginning to fade and the morning sun peered in the distance. Thoughts of Brian scampered through my mind. I never realized how much I love him. I've never, ever felt like this. I wish he was here with me, but we'll have our peace soon enough.

::Brian's POV::
I woke up feeling...empty. I never felt like this, ever...and I hated it. I didn't even have to look to know. My arms were cold, where was she? I got up slowly to check the bathroom. Nobody. Okay...maybe she couldn't sleep and needed a snack. I know she hates planes. I called for her. Nobody. Walking downstairs gave me goosebumps. Lonliness. Cold. Silent. And...Nobody, empty. I started to panic. Where did she go? Did something happen to her? I've had enough of these questions taking over my mind. Frantically, I ran to the phone. There was only one person that knew where she'd be. One other person besides me that she'd go to. Jimmy. I called. I don't know what it was, were people TRYING to avoid me? Nobody answered. Time to go with my instict. She loved watching the sunrise, and there's only one place that's perfect to do that. The beach. I arrived there when I grew more worried. I couldn't find her until I heard a faint sound coming from a distance. I walked towards it and saw her. She was so perfect. The glint sun rays rest upon her so beautifully. She sang the song that spoke to me so dearly, the one she sang to me just the other night as I fell asleep. Damn...I sound corny as all hell. Ah who gives a flying fucking banana? I'm in love with her. I was standing right behind Katie as she sat on that bench. I watched her twist her promise ring I gave her around her finger. It frightened me in a way. Was she having thoughts?...second thoughts?

::Normal::
I knew he'd come after me eventually.
"Morning Brian." I stated emotionless, twisting my promise ring around.
"Morning baby, are you...alright?" He asked concerned.
"Yup, just peachy. You know I hate planes though." He sat next to me on the bench and layed a kiss upon my cheek. I smiled and blushed. He was too cute for his own good. Brian noticed me fooling with the ring.
"Are you having second thoughts?" He immediatly asked. Mine as well get it out right?
"Brian, you know I love you with all of my being...until my last breath," I began facing towards him, recalling my note. He turned away from me and faced the ocean. I saw his eye glisten while shedding a single tear. He tried to hide it, but saw no point. He came to his own conclusion on this one.
"And I'd love to go to Jamaica," I tried to finish until he freaked.
"Katie, why didn't you just fucking tell me instead of tearing my soul into two? I know you don't feel for me anymore, what did I do wrong?"
"Brian, I didn't-" He cut me off.
"You know what, fucking save it princess. I'm done." He threw the promise ring I gave him at me. I watched it fall to the ground, now half-buried beneath the sand. This was becoming one of my least favorite spots now. This is definatly one of those pains that are burned into us from a promise. I'm guessing he didn't understand. At least we weren't engaged.

::Brian's POV::
I can't believe this! I was torn to the bone. I knew I loved her. I change that...I KNOW I LOVE her...why wouldn't she feel the same? It broke my soul throwing that ring at her. I didn't want to. I prayed that would be one of the things I'd never dream of doing to her...and me. I can't take this anymore. I drove home, leaving Katie behind harshly. The one person to go to was the person that knew her best, Jimmy.
"Jimmy!?" I yelled into the phone.
"Sheesh, people like greeting me this way. Calm down Brian, what's up?"
"Katie doesn't love me anymore, she broke the promise and I threw her my ring!" I started confessing, and crying.
"What the hell are you talking about? She just told me this morning-wait, did she actually SAY that?" I thought for a second.
"Well, no. I guess I just...jumped to a fucking conclusion! Damnit...I'm such a fuck up."
"Oh my god Brian, you idiot. Did you read the note she left you?"
"A note? How do you know she left one?"
"She called this morning. Sorry I didn't get to your call earlier, I was across the street getting a coffee." I immediatly hung up in search of that note. Knowing Katie, she'd leave it in a spot I usually look first thing in the morning. The nightstand. But I look there every morning and there's NEVER anything there. Sure as fuck, the one morning I decide not to look there, something's there. That fucking note. Shit. I froze in silence as I read it. I swear I could hear my heart beat faster then slow down, like it was dying. I had to catch her before she left me for good. Damnit.

::Normal::
Tears stained my natural, pale complextion. Hypnotized by the ocean, I lost myself in thoughts and stared straight ahead, not even blinking once. I found myself slowly taking each step to the water, sinking deeper into the sand as it grew more moist the closer I got to it. The water crashed upon my feet as I entered it. It became knee-high and I ignored how cold it was. The sun was half up now and it was the prettiest sight I've ever seen. It looked better as it fell asleep at night though. I always told Brian that it wouldn't be worth living and breathing without him in my life. It was true, so why try and fight it out now without him?

::Brian's POV::
I slammed the car door and practically attacked my way to the beach in front of me. It felt so eerie, so evil. I shuttered in response to it. Finally, my eyes searched the spot she sat in not even fifteen minutes ago. But to my dismay, the bench was empty and both promise rings lay nect to each other. Almost intertwined. The worst hit my gut, death hit. I could've sworn to god. I looked towards the ocean and there she was. Nearly engulfing herself, Katie was already up to her collarbones in cold water. What could I do but stare? Holy fuck Brian! Wake the hell up! Your life is being shattered and you CAN stop it. There's just enough time. SAVE HER!
"KATIE!!" I screamed as loud as I could to reach out to her. But, she didn't bother. She was in one of those strong dazes like she was walking to something she couldn't grasp. I flung myself into the devil water and swam faster than a damn shark to save her life...and mine too. Right as I had her in my midst, she vanished beneath the vast waves. She escaped my hold. Did she want to live? She wasn't underneath for more than a second when I dove under to bring her up.
"Katie!?" She started wiggling, trying to get away screaming. I tried to be as brave and calm as I could get.
"Baby it's me!" Her eyes popped open just like she's been resurrected.
"What the hell are we in the ocean for?" She asked like she didn't know what the hell was going on.
"That's what I was just about to ask you." I swam us closer to the shore and picked her up when I could reach the bottom, before we were both swept away from the surface. I layed her upon the blanket of sand. She stared at me like I was a ghost and none of this crazy shit happened. She wasn't even breathing hard.
"Katie, baby...what were you doing?"
"I told you I couldn't live without you, and I know you don't love me anymore. You threw your promise ring away." I took her to my chest and held her there, crying silently.
"Babe, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean that. Jimmy even knows that. I didn't listen to you before and I mistook the situation and jumped to conclusions. I got your note, and I realized how much we mean to each other. Please forgive me." I said, the last sentence in a hoarse whisper. I felt her back hop, like it was hiccuping and knew she was crying.
"Brian, how could you think something like that? You're like my dream come true for about three years...almost four. And yes, I will forgive you." She sobbed, slipping my promise ring I held in my palm, onto my ring finger. I could feel the burn from the candle that we held it over that one romantic night. Passion. Love. Promise. I wanted her to feel the same sensation as I did. I slipped hers on her finger.
"This is my sorry, my last mistake. I promise Katie." She smiled at me with heart. I imagine she felt it. I love her so much.
"I'm STILL and always will be IN love with you." I whispered once more, pulling her into a tight squeeze.

::Normal::
"I'm in love with you too." I managed to squeak between sobs in his shoulder.
"I promise as much as before, maybe even more baby. I suppose you called the trip off?" I added, lifting my head to show him my salty, tear stained face.
"I wouldn't do that. We need this trip, to be alone. I need to be alone with you, even though the others will still be along." He explained to me.
"Kay, I just hope you don't think of this incident as a suicidal act." She told me worried.
"No, if I were you, I would've done the same thing. It shows me how much you really...care. And nobody's ever cared for me like this before. My parents were always too 'rich' to notice me." He tried to hide his tears by turning away from him. I took my hand and place it on his cheek that was farthest away from me and pulled him to me.
"Look at me, it's okay to cry baby. And nobody is going to care for you like I do. I get the same feelings in return. And I love you." I kissed him and engulfed him in my arms. I rubbed his back shushing and comforting him as he cried.
"We need this trip. Your sensative side is great, but we need to get away. We better get home for a rest before we head to the airport." He sniffled as he raised his head.
"Please just hold me for a little while longer." He said. We sat watching the sun peek over the ocean in each other's loving presense. Brian found it more comfortable with his head in my lap and I stroked his hair, allowing him to drift off into a small sleep. We went to the car after two hours of rest and I decided to drive home. He needed his rest for today and he'd be driving to the airport. We arrived home as I pulled into the driveway. I helped him change his clothes into something clean. He was just so tired. I kissed him innocently on the lips before Brian snuggled up to me and we clung tight to each other right beneath the covers of our bed. As usual, he slept right below my chest and right above my stomach. So cute. Sleep took over the both of us after I sang to Brian silently, my original song. Who knows what the hell it's called. I made it up. Another hour and we were off to Jamaica with the rest of the gang.