The Label-Less Girl

It’s going to be a long night

I was drifting to sleep when the sound of “Helena” by the Misfits started to play; I looked for my cellphone and looked at the ID: Mom. Oh great! This is going to be wonderful.

“Hello,” I said, answering the phone.

“Helena Annabelle Rain Baker, you better be in your house in at least 15 minutes or you will be sleeping outside!” my mom yelled, making me put the phone away from my ear.

“You’re folks are mad?” Frank asked.

“Totally, I have to go,” I said while I was climbing down.

“Let me walk you home,” he offered.

“No offense, Frank, but my parents hate you,” I said.

“What? They don’t even know me!” he said.

“It’s not you, it’s them,” I said and started to run to my house.

When I entered my house, I went to my room and took off my clothes, hid them in the back of my closet and went to take a shower. When I got out, I found my sister throwing my clothes around the room.

“Stop throwing my clothes!” I yelled at her.

“Mom told me to grab one of your dresses for the party tonight,” she said, still throwing my clothes.

“You have a lot of dresses; get the hell out of here!” I said to her, trying to push her out of my room without making my towel fall.

When I finished picking up my clothes, I tried to find a dress for the dance tonight, my family always threw parties for no reason in particular, and the last to know about these things was me. I was to busy trying to find a dress I hadn't worn more than twice when someone knocked at the door, without permission, the door flew open and my mom appeared.

“Here, I bought you a new dress,” she said putting the dress on my bed.

“Mom, it’s… bubblegum pink!” I said with eyes wide open.

“I know! Isn't it beautiful?” she asked with sparkles in her eyes.

“No?” I said.

“You are going to wear it and like it, young lady. I expect you to be downstairs in two hours and take your pills!” She yelled, closing the door.

“Yes, sir,” I said.

Once I was finished with the dress, the makeup and the hair, I still had one hour left until the party. I was bored and looked like a giant piece of bubblegum; hopefully someone interesting would be at the party.

“Annabelle! Time to go downstairs!” my sister yelled from the other side of the door.

“I still have one hour left!” I yelled.

“Mom wants us downstairs now,” she said opening the door.

I sighed and followed my sister downstairs. My mom was dressed in a dress that matched mine, my dad was in a tuxedo giving me a smile; he was the only one who loved me for who I was.

“Annabelle, I expect you on your best behavior, this party is for you to find your future husband,” she said.

My mom believes that girls shouldn't be studying; they should be trophy wives for rich men. Every year since I had turned 15, my mom would organize one of these parties, inviting every single future rich guy, hoping I would fall madly in love with one of them.

My mom opened the doors to the ballroom and my first reaction was a mouth hanged open and wide eyes, a lot of boys were in the room, they looked like Abercrombie models, my hormones were dying to get out.

“Annabella, close your mouth,” my mom said giving me a glare.

“Yes, mom,” I said rolling my eyes.

Note to self: It’s going to be a long night.