Status: UNDERGOING REWRITE. SAME STORY

Shattered By Broken Dreams

Chapter 5

Image

As soon as I got back to the tent, Deb came up to me and started rambling on about the dozen or so dehydrations and heat exhaustions that she had to deal with in my absence. After I was caught up to speed on that, she asked, “So do you know who you want to hitch your car to and ride to Dallas with?”

I blinked rapidly, not fully comprehending what she was asking. “Huh? What are you talking about? Why do I need to find someone to hitch a ride with? Don’t we have a mini-bus or something?”

“No… What gave you that idea?” Deb acted like I was supposed to have gotten full briefing on this before I came on tour. Obviously, someone decided that I could skip that lesson.

“I dunno. How are we getting the equipment from city to city?” I asked, still confused.

“Easy. We have a trailer that we load everything into and hook it up to whichever bus is closest. Did you not know that we didn’t have our own transportation?”

“No. I didn’t. Well this sucks. Who do you normally ride with?”

“I usually ride with the band that drinks the most, just to make sure that they don’t stop breathing over night.” She chuckled.

I’m quickly learning why Deb loved doing Warped! Tour. She’s almost as crazy as the bands and fans. While Deb is in her late 40’s, she’s still so full of the joy of life and thrives off of the energies of everyone around her. She reminds me so much of my mom, it’s uncanny. It’s part of the reason I’m loving working with Deb.

I gave the whole situation a little more thought, then I had a light bulb moment. “I think I know who’s gonna let me ride on their bus.” I smiled.

At around 8 when all the shows were over, I decided that I should probably go ask they guys if they could spare (or share) a bunk or a couch for the “hot nurse” that – according to Brian – had “saved the lead guitarist’s life today.” I rolled my eyes at the memory of how ridiculous he was. Luck was on my side as I found the A7X bus quickly; mostly because Brian and Zacky were outside smoking.

“Evenin’ boys!” I smiled through the Southern accent that has a tendency to pop up when I flirt.

“Hellooooooooo nurse!” Zack smirked, eyeing me up and down. I chuckled at that as I hugged him.

“What? No hug for me? I thought we were tight after you saved my life. But whatever. I didn’t want a hug from you anyway.” Brian fake pouted.

“Awww. I’m sorry sweetie. Come ‘ere.” I pouted right back at him as I stood in front of him with my arms open for a hug.

Brian smiled as he stepped into the embrace. “Ha! I knew you loved me!” He smirked triumphantly as I pulled away.

“Of course I do, Brian! I love all of you. So much so that I was wondering if ya’ll had an extra bunk or a couch that I could sleep on while we’re heading to Dallas…” I ended kind of quietly. I hated asking people for anything, but my car won’t last the tour around half the country. So it was either suck it up now or beg my dad to help me out with a new car after spending two additional months away from him.

“Hmmm. What do we get out of this deal?” Zacky asked me playfully with an inquisitive eyebrow raised.

“Ummm… The pleasure of my company?” I asked more than stated. “Also, there are only 3 things I’ll ever brag about myself; one of them is the fact that I give amazing massages. I know how guitarist’s hands cramp up and kill after a show. I’m pretty great at getting rid of that.” I smiled.

Both men’s eyes widened fractionally, wheels in their heads could be seen turning.
After about 10 seconds, Brian spoke. “Soooo… Basically, you’re good with your hands?” He smirked, wiggling his eyebrows at me.

“Kinda, sorta, vaguely, in a way.” I said quickly, not really thinking of the dirty thoughts that could be going through their heads. Then I saw the glint in both guitarists’ eyes. “No! Bad, nasty, dirty thoughts out!” I said firmly with a blush creeping up on my face.

“Why are there nasty, dirty thoughts in their heads and not in mine?” Jimmy asked as he came up behind me.

“Dude, she just admitted that she was good with her hands.” Brian smirked.

“Not my fault your minds go straight to the gutter when a girl says she’s a good masseuse. I meant that I was willing to give massages—with no happy endings—to the band that was willing to let me ride with them to Dallas. But if you guys don’t want it, I guess I can find some cuter bands that’ll let me go with them.” I heaved a heavy sigh through my obvious sarcasm.

“Hold up. We didn’t say we didn’t want massages. We just got really dirty thoughts that probably go along the same lines. But you do promise to actually do it, right?” Zacky asked.

“Yup.” I smiled.

“Then where’s your stuff and do you have a car we need to hitch to the back of the bus? And it’d be easier for everyone if you just moved onto the bus with us so we didn’t have to help you move all your stuff back on every night.” Matt asked from behind me, making me jump.

“Oh my Jesus Christ! Don’t sneak up on me!” I laughed. “And I want all five of you to be sure before you say yes, especially to me moving onto the bus. I don’t want to be a hassle.” I replied earnestly.

“Guys, I like her. Can we keep her? Please, please, please?” Jimmy asked as he hugged me from behind.

I heard a series of “yes” that made me smile like there was no tomorrow. “Ya’ll have no idea how much I love you right now.” I beamed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Rath, thank you for being a supportive commenter. I'm sorry that it's taken me so long to thank you, but I'm doing so now. =)