‹ Prequel: Fearing Death

Never Look Back

08

“Traded?” Jordyn asked, looking up at her Dad with worried, confused eyes. Jon knew this day was coming unfortunately, and while he tried to shelter Jordyn from the details of his professional life, there were some things that he couldn’t keep from her. “What do you mean traded?” She asked, feeling her chest tighten. “What does that mean? Are you going away? When will you be back? Who will I stay with?” She asked, eyes wide and unblinking as he sat her down on the sofa.

“The trade deadline is next week and I was told today that I had in fact been traded.” Jon rubbed the back of his neck. “I’ve spent many years with the Blackhawks and while I love my team and I wanted to stay here for my career, it’s time for the both of us to… expand.” He recited the same lines that his agent had relayed to him. Code for, even if Jon was a veteran, they wanted to bring in younger, less expensive players.

“But… you’re talking like you’re leaving… where are you going?” She asked, still worried. Well, of course she was worried.

“That’s the thing, sweetheart. We’re going to Washington.” He tried to form a smile with his lips but it seemed as if they had forgotten how.

“Washington… like… the state?” She asked, eyebrows shooting into her hairline.

“No, D.C.” Jon shook his head.

“Wait, wait… you said we.” Jordyn said, standing up and staring down her father. “You mean, I got traded, too?” She asked, eyes wide and unforgiving.

“Wherever we go, we go as a family.” Jon tried to explain to his daughter because the worst news was yet to come, he needed to start skating with the Caps by the end of the week, which meant they needed to pack and get to DC to find somewhere to live as soon as possible. Not to mention finding a school, getting Prince Max settled, and of course, the separation between Jordyn and Dylan who were still going strong.

“No, I don’t want to go.” Jordyn shook her head. “What about my team? And my friends? And what about Dylan?” She asked, beginning to panic. “It’s not fair! I didn’t do anything wrong!” She shook her head. “Don’t make me go!” She began to heave sharp breaths in and out.

“You can join a new team.” Jon insisted, “and your friends can visit, and so can Dylan.” Jon added. “Please, baby girl, I didn’t chose for this to happen and I know it’s hard, but this is my job.” He felt absolutely terrible.

“But what about Patty and Sara and Gabe and – and.” She began to sob uncontrollably. “I don’t want to leave my life here!” She cried. “Everyone we love is here!

“Baby, I don’t want to leave just as much as you don’t want to, but we have no choice.” He tried to settle her down. “I need you with me.” He hugged her tightly. “That’s what family does, Jo, they stick together when things get rough.” He said quietly. He held her for a long time, letting her cry out her frustrations, and soon, she had stopped crying and hiccupping enough to be understood.

“I don’t like the Capitals. I’m going to wear your Blackhawks jerseys to your games.” She said quietly. “And… how could they send you there? Don’t they know that one of their players almost killed you?” She searched his eyes. That was a time the little Toews family would never forget.

“I know, but… think of this as an opportunity.” Jon began pulling at straws. “We could meet a lot of good, new people in Washington.” He insisted. “We will never forget our friends here, and we will always keep in touch with our friends who have become our family. But as people, we need to find the good in this move, alright?” He asked, gently wiping at her tears. Jordyn simply nodded.

“What about Amy?” She asked uncertainly.

“Amy’s going to stick around here for a while,” Jon replied. “She has a lot of issues she needs to work out with her job. I know this is tough, but we need to get out there as soon as possible.” He sighed. “We need to start packing right away, enough stuff to get us through the first few days, and then the rest of our stuff can get shipped to us.” He finished, to which Jordyn nodded. “Why don’t you go call Terri and Dylan, I’ll call school.” He insisted, kissing the top of his daughter’s head.

It was a shame; Jon was actually starting to really like Dylan.

It wasn’t for a few more minutes that Jon could hear Jordyn crying from upstairs and even then the thought of leaving her here with Patrick and Sara had crossed his mind again. As much as he wanted his little girl to be happy, he knew that as family, they needed to stick together, even if he was being selfish. He would have enough to deal with in Washington, and he needed Jordyn there with him.

The rest of the day had gone by impossibly quick, and it felt unfair on a cruel level that he only had enough to say most of his goodbyes to his good buddies over the phone. If possible, he and Jordyn needed to catch a flight out the next day. They would be going over to Patrick and Sara’s the next day to say goodbye to their closest friends, and Jordyn, no doubt, would want to see Dylan in person again before they left.

When Jon emerged upstairs, he placed his hand on the wall, looking down the hallway that was littered with photos of he and Jordyn’s adventures together. He was going to miss this place. Sure, they’d keep the apartment – that’s where everything started, but, this was their home for so long, their first home as a family. But life moves on.

Amy was a different story, Jon thought that maybe since she had made the commitment to marry him, she could try and accommodate the move, but when he had broken the news to her earlier in the day, she seemed unsure about her stance on the situation.

”I just started my dream job, Jon.” She sighed. “God, how does this happen?” She asked, clearly very frustrated. “I need to think this over, alright? I just need… time.” Was the last thing she said before hanging up.

She needed time? Jon didn’t have time to give.

•••

“I don’t like it.” Jordyn shook her head, not caring if she was sounding like a brat in front of the realtor who was desperately trying to find Jon an apartment they liked.

The past day and a half had been an absolute blur of tears, hugs, and promises to stay in touch. Jordyn was sure that Dylan would want to break up now that she would be living twelve hours away, but he reassured her that they could make it work for as long as possible. She also felt like there was something that maybe he was keeping from her.

Saying goodbye to Patrick and Sara was the hardest. They were the closest thing to family Jordyn had in Chicago and for as long as Jon had adopted her. Sara was the closest thing Jordyn ever had to a real Mother. But Patrick made a promise to the Toews family that they would see each other often by any means and talk as often as possible.

“I… I only have one more on the list, but if you don’t like that one, I can search for some more listings and we can regroup tomorrow.” She insisted. “And as a matter of fact, another Capitals player lives in the next building, so, maybe that will make things a bit easier.” She offered Jon an uneasy smile and he returned it, knowing that Jordyn was tired, cranky, upset, and in desperate need of some actual sleep.

“Whose that?” Jon asked, taking Jordyn’s hand in his own as they stepped out onto the streets of DC.

“Mike Green, I sold him the apartment.” The realtor replied as they walked towards their cars.

Go home, Toews!” The two looked around their shoulder to see two men in Capitals shirts walking the other direction on the opposite side of the street. Jon didn’t give them a second look, but Jordyn had half a mind to stick a certain finger in the air before Jon could open up her car door for her.

The next apartment wasn’t a few blocks away and Jordyn actually liked the look of the building as they pulled up. This building was also just a few moments drive from the Verizon Center as well.

“This particular model is three bedrooms, three bathrooms, living room and family room – which is somewhat rare in this area, a fireplace, a terrace with great views, whirl tubs in all the bathrooms. The kitchen is updated, all stainless steel and marble countertops. Um, what else…” The realtor looked downright nervous. “Oh, walk-in closets for all the bedrooms, and the amenities are just wonderful. There’s a rooftop pool, a bar and lounge on the main floor. Gym, full concierge service…” She trailed.

“Let’s take a look around, huh, JT? Jon asked, clasping a hand on Jordyn’s shoulder and leading her down the hall. “This would be my room.” Jon spoke gently, not wanting to imply anything until Jordyn put in her two cents.

Jordyn wouldn’t argue that it was a very nice apartment, very modern and sleek, but it didn’t feel like home – at least, not yet.

“This would be your room, ma petite fille.” He pushed open the door to reveal a big bedroom where the south wall was almost pure window, overlooking the beautiful city.

“I don’t hate this.” Jordyn said quietly, wishing she could close her eyes, click her heels and end up back in Chicago in her bedroom, curled up in bed with Prince Max at her feet.

“What do you say, huh? Should we take a chance on this place?” He asked, wrapping his arm tightly around her shoulder.

“Why not.” She sighed, resting her head against his chest.

“We’ll take it.” Jon said quietly, meeting with the realtor back in the kitchen. Jordyn wandered about their new abode as Jon worked out details with Jon, seeing as he wanted the whole thing updated as soon as possible, then started talking with the realtor about surrounding schools and how soon he could get Jordyn enrolled.

Before Jordyn knew it, they were heading across town in their rental car back to their hotel. Jordyn followed Jon up to their floor wordlessly and Prince Maxie greeted them at the door.

“I’m sorry Maxie, no more backyard for you.” Jordyn frowned.

“Hey, we’ll make it work. Depending on how long we’re here, we can find a real place for us, or maybe we won’t have to.” Jon sighed, leaning in the doorway of their suite.

“What do you mean? Like either we’ll be here for five years or one?” Jordyn asked.

“I don’t really know what my contract will look like till tomorrow.” Jon replied. “I could be here until further notice or for more than five years.” He finished. Jordyn simply nodded before turning on her heel, Prince Maxie following her obediently. She curled up in the bed by the window, looking out to the city with a soft exhale. She was just about to take her phone out to text Dylan when it vibrated with a message.

From: Dylan :)
Hope house hunting went well today. Talk to you tomorrow. Night. Love you.


Jordyn replied with something short and sweet, telling him that they found a place and that she would call him in the morning. Prince Maxie had crawled up the bed to snuggle against Jordyn’s chest as they both looked out to the city.

“Knock knock.” Jon rapped softly on her door.

“Come in.” Jordyn replied quietly.

“Heading to bed?” Jon asked, sitting on the edge of the mattress.

“Something like that.” She nodded. “Maxie’s tired.” She added, running her hand over Max’s head, smoothing out his wrinkes as he leaned into her touch.

“Things are gonna be okay.” Jon insisted. “I know right now this kind of sucks, and I promise, if I could make this any easier for you, I would.” He began. “But this is the best I can do right now.” He insisted. “I hate to see you sad, Jord.” He brushed her hair back from her face, playing with the blonde waves that had grown so long. She definitely wasn’t the little eleven-year-old girl he had adopted years ago. She was growing up into a beautiful young woman. “I just need you to try. That’s all I’ll ask of you.” He finished. Jordyn turned to face her Dad.

“I can do that.” She nodded. “I can try.”
♠ ♠ ♠
so so short and SO full of action
Did anyone see this coming?
I would be genuinely surprised!
Hopefully this chapter doesn't deter you all from the story!
What do you think is going on with Amy? Will Jordyn and Dylan last?
I'd love to hear your comments/predictions!
Also, if you have the time, please check out the poll linked on my homepage to have a say in who i write about next!
thank you all so much!
<3