Status: I'm back! Hopefully regular updates will happen...but no promises.

Broken Brain

Three.

There he was. It was my chance.

I rounded the corner and slowly inched towards the bathroom, trying to time myself so I would walk by right as or very soon before No Name came out so he would see me. (No way I was making the first move.)

I walked by. He did not. I slowly moseyed my way down the hallway, walking in odd, zigzagged, whimsical lines.

“Don’t look back, don’t look back…” I said to myself under my breath. Suddenly, I heard footsteps. “Please let them be his…” I mumbled.

“Hey.”

Oh my gosh. I turned around, pretending to be caught off guard. It was him! Talking to me!

“Oh. Hello.” I was trying way to hard to be cute.

“It’s Kat, right?” he asked. I nodded. “Yeah, you’re that girl who freaked out.” You don’t know how badly I wished that wasn’t how he remembered me. “What was up with that?”

Did he really expect me to explain? “It’s a, um…it’s a long story.”

“Oh,” he said, sounding…disappointed? There was an awkward pause. I wanted to make conversation so badly, but what would I say? I hoped he was thinking the same thing. “Well, I’ve gotta get back to class. See you later.”

“Uh huh,” I said, still slightly in shock that HE had decided to talk to ME.

He walked down the hallway towards the history classroom. I think he glanced back once. I like to think that he did.

Our first conversation. I took a moment to remember those fantastic 45 seconds. I continued down the hallway, setting all the locks on the lockers perfectly to 0. That was when I realized I still didn’t know his name. Sigh. I guess I would have to keep referring to him as No Name Hawthorn. All I could do was hope our paths would cross again. Soon.

Lunch and Math passed by without anything notable happening. I was too distracted, just praying that I would see him again. I told Mina about it during Science. It was the only class I had with her all day.

“Wait, what’s his name?” she asked quietly, without looking over and still taking notes.
“I don’t know!” I exclaimed, perhaps a bit too loudly. I waited a few moments before continuing, to see if anyone had noticed me, but everyone was too wrapped up in the lecture to notice. “I know his last name is Hawthorn, and he’s in my History class third period. And he’s attractive, and he noticed me.”

“No offense, Kat,” Mina said, “but it’s kind of hard NOT to notice you. I mean…” She didn’t bother continuing. I knew what she meant.

“But you don’t get it Mina! HE initiated conversation with ME!” I exclaimed, watching my volume. “HE didn’t even have to!”

“I don’t know…” she said, turning a page. “ …I mean, don’t get your hopes up. Maybe you’re misinterpreting things…”

“Way to crush my hopes and dreams,” I said, only half joking as I fiddled with the rings on my notebook.

The bell rang. I agreed to text Mina after school, and headed on my way to my Writing class, still hoping I would see Hawthorn again.

I walked into class and sat down. Writing was my favorite class. I got to express myself, which was great, and the teacher usually kept everything orderly.

As I was setting all my supplies in their places, my favorite class got better as No Name walked into the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you guys liked it! Comments are appriciated. Thanks.