Status: Complete

Eleanor & Fred

News & Conversations

Keeping an eye on Mockridge proved to be quite boring and I found myself almost wishing that something more dangerous had needed doing. As each day passed I found nothing out of the ordinary with Mockridge and found myself with plenty of time to let my mind wander over other topics.

It had been two weeks since I’d sent my last letter to Fred, but he had yet to reply. George hadn’t sent any letters either. I wished I could write to Alice or Jay, but I had been told that it would be too risky sending so many letters from Headquarters. I was lucky that they were letting me write to the twins.

Ivan was growing larger everyday, it seemed. He’d taken quite a liking to Sirius and I didn’t mind sharing him; Sirius could use another friend. He had become quite like a father to me-Sirius, not Ivan-since I’d met him. I felt guilty when I thought of Harry and how Sirius was his only caring relative as well, but I knew that Harry would always have a special place in Sirius’ heart and I could never change that.

At times I wondered what my parents were up to, and if I’d ever see Elijah again. At other times, I nearly forgot they existed. It was fairly easy to do.

About two weeks after I began following Mockridge, the Order decided that I needn’t follow him anymore. He seemed to be doing nothing out-of-the-ordinary. I found myself seated at the dark, musty house once more with nothing to do. That only lasted, however, until about March 26th.

I entered the kitchen after supper to find Mrs. Weasley, red-faced, a letter in her hand. “Is everything alright,” I asked gently.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do with those two!” She stated, looking up as Mr. Weasley entered the room. “Those sons of yours have really done it this time!”

“What have they done?” Mr. Weasley asked, knowing she meant Fred and George. I thought that it would have been polite to leave, but since it concerned my boyfriend I decided I could be a little impolite just this once.

“They’ve written me, but it isn’t from Hogwarts,” She fumed. “They’ve left the school on their brooms! Apparently, they’ve got their own place in Diagon Alley, for a joke shop of all things! I knew this day would come, but I didn’t know they’d go about it like this! They just left Hogwarts, on their own!”

“Now, calm down,” Mr. Weasley stated, while my mind began racing. “Where did they get the money for this place anyway?”

“Harry,” I stated without thinking. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley both turned to look at me, their expressions inquisitive. “Well…Fred might have mentioned this idea to me before, but I had no idea it would happen so soon. I didn’t know they would leave school! But…Harry gave them his Triwizard winnings.”

Mrs. Weasley sighed and sat down in a chair. “Well,” she sighed, “I guess what’s been done has been done.” A small smile found its way upon her face, and I realized that she had finally given up. Fred and George were now on their own and she knew she couldn’t change it. “They’ve invited us to come and visit at the end of the summer, once they have the place up and running. Of course, they’ve mentioned that they’re going to come see us before then.”

“Does it say when?” I asked, trying to take in everything that I had just learned while trying to contain my excitement at seeing Fred again.

“No,” she sighed, “but I expect they’ll pop in whenever they fell like, as usual.”

Sirius entered the room, Ivan on his heels, and I retold everything that had happened while Mrs. Weasley made some tea. I had to admit that I was slightly annoyed that Fred hadn’t written to me about his and George’s plans, but I imagined that they’d been quite busy and knew that their mum would tell everyone else.

I looked up as two more people entered the room; Remus and Tonks. “Hello,” Tonks grinned cheerfully. “We just thought we’d drop by.” She gestured with her hand and as soon as I saw the sparkle on her ring finger I knew that the gesture had other purposes.

“Let me see,” I squealed, standing from my seat and walking toward her. Mrs. Weasley came over as well while Sirius, Remus, and Mr. Weasley chatted. “It’s beautiful,” I commented.

“Thank you,” Tonks stated, glowing. “Remus gave it to me last night.”

“Congratulations,” Mrs. Weasley beamed, pulling Tonks into a motherly hug. “Would you like some tea?”

“Yes, please.” Tonks took a seat beside me and we giggled like school girls over the excitement of the engagement. It was nice having Tonks around, since she was the only other female besides Molly Weasley that ever came into the house.

We all spoke for a while until Remus and Tonks bid us adieu. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley retired to their room, leaving Sirius, Ivan, and I to sit together in the kitchen. It was a comfortable silence, Ivan with his front two paws on Sirius’ lap while I gazed thoughtfully at the patterns in the wooden table.

“Ellie,” Sirius began, “I know this might sound a bit strange, but I’ve made the same offer to Harry. If you need someplace to stay, you know, for as long as you must you can stay here.”

“Thank you,” I smiled gratefully, I little surprised. “I really, really appreciate it, but…Fred’s already offered me a room with them.”

“Oh.” I watched as his smile faltered for just a moment, and I knew that he had been hoping more for the company than anything else.

“But,” I continued, “I’m sure I can come and visit often.”

“Yes, you should,” He nodded, his smile returning, “And of course Harry will be here as well. Not for a couple more years, of course, once he’s finished with school.”

I nodded, a sudden yawn escaping me. “Perhaps you should be off to bed,” Sirius stated. “You too,” he added to Ivan, who yawned as well.

“Come on,” I called to him, as I stood up. “Goodnight Sirius.”

“Goodnight Ellie.” He smiled warmly. Ivan followed me up to bed and we both passed out within minutes, comfortably warm beneath the covers.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is SO uneventful, but I needed to change the direction of the story. I was getting sidetracked and I had to get it going the way it needed to for the ending to happen how I wanted it to. Only a few more chapters and it will be over. If you've read this far, I am glad that I've kept your interest. Comments? Feedback? :)