Stairway To Heaven

Discovery

Next Day 9:00am

I took the day off work today, since my hours would collide with the prep before the gig tonight. A poster that advertised the band hung outside of this punk bar/club for about a month now. We were hoping for a good size crowd. I woke up groggily and I checked on my tattoo, pleased that it was healing nicely. I did my morning ritual and entered the kitchen. I looked around noticing that it was vacant. I spotted a note on the counter as I went to make some coffee. It was in Natalie’s curly writing. It said that she went to pick up some groceries and will be back in an hour. I placed myself into one of the wooden chairs and relaxed for about 10 minutes as I sipped my coffee. Deciding that it was way to quiet in the house at this time I got up and made my way to our collection of cds. I popped in my beloved Smashing Pumpkins disk and blasted it.

When Natalie came home she made me turn off the music and get in the car because she was dragging me to look at the house and eventually pick out paint for it. When we arrived at the house,

Natalie started to squeal. “It’s so nice, Amii look at it.” I stepped out of the car and onto the paved driveway.

I nodded my head in the house’s direction. “It’s nice Nat,” I agreed.

“Let’s go look inside.” Natalie grabbed my be my wrist and pulled me effortlessly to the front door. She pushed open the front door and stepped onto the hard, wood floor. The front door led to a nice big kitchen/eating area with counter tops lined on the back was with a fridge, stove, dishwasher, and a garbage disposal. To my left was a closet to but coats and a cleaning supplies, you know stuff like that. Natalie took a left and entered a living room with a set of stairs in it. She led me up the stairs into a hallway. There were 5 small bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms.

“One could be for us and the other one could be for the boys.” Natalie explained. She acted as if she has already been to the house and thought everything out. We went down the stairs and made a ‘U’ turn to come face to face with another door.

Natalie started to wring her hands. “That’s the study,” she said flatly, as I opened the door.

It was a small room with a half bathroom connected to it. “That sucks,” I offered.

She nodded her head. I exited the small study and noticed something on the stairs. It looked like the outline of a door that my have led to a closet maybe, under the stairs. I started to pick at the gross, crusty wallpaper, in hopes to peel it off to see what lies behind it. I took off a long strip and found a hole were the doorknob must have been. I pulled at it and the door swung open, destroying the wallpaper on top of it. It smelled like dust and it was very dark. By now, Natalie came to observe my discovery too.
“Go get a flashlight, Nat. I will look for a light switch or something.” I took one-step into the pitch dark and stumbled. My foot landed on another piece of creaky wood. This must be stairs leading to a basement, but why was the door wallpapered over? Natalie returned with a flashlight and we walked down the stairs together. When we reached the bottom, Natalie found a string that led to a light. She pulled at it and the basement was illuminated. It was easily big enough to fit all of our music equipment down here. It was a big concrete room with a couple outlets, and a heater.

“It’s perfect,” Natalie agreed with me. “Hey I’m hungry want to grab some food?”

I shrugged, “Okay.” We left the house and went to subway. I got a call from Mike saying that he needed us to pick him up.

“Looks like we have a helper until 6:00” I announced when I hung up the phone.

“Who and why only until 6? It’s 4:00 right now.” Natalie look pretty confused.

“Well we have to be at the gig at 6, and Mike is off work so we are picking him up and holding him hostage while we pick out paints for the house.” I smiled at her as I finished my sandwich.

After lunch, we picked Mikey up and headed off to the ‘wonderful world of paints.’ We settled on a soft green for the living room, an off-white color that we were going to stencil on top of it, for the kitchen. My room was going to be painted dark purple and Natalie’s room was going to be a pink and black paint splatter room. Mike picked out a navy blue and we decided to leave the other two bedrooms a plain white. I checked the time, “Shit, it’s 5:45, we have to get home and grab our stuff.” We raced home and grabbed our equipment for the show. We were supposed to meet the guys there, so we loaded the stuff into the back of my trunk and drove to our destination.
♠ ♠ ♠
i like those colors =)