‹ Prequel: Roaring Thunder
Status: Complete; Comments, please?; Fifquel?

Rain Gently Tapping Against My Skin

Chapter Twenty-Five: No!

I could hear Scarlett screaming. I began thrashing violently against the chains that held me, desperate to break free and save her from the monster that had locked me down here, had tortured me.

His red eyes were obvious against the darkness of the cave. His savage features only halfway revealed. There was scarcely any light at all, making me strain my eyes to the point where I just gave up on trying to unmask my kidnapper. He soon appeared, chaining poor defenseless Scarlett.

I struggled with all my strength, only to feel his fist colliding with the side of my face. I didn’t let myself give into the sudden pain inflected on me, unwilling to give him the satisfaction. He continues on his assault on me. Scarlett’s horrified screams were the only thing that made me keep my head up high.

He was eventually happy with the work he had done on me, leaving through one of the millions of cold tunnels surrounding us. I couldn’t take the agony of his torture anymore, and dangled there limply against the dirt wall, feeling myself slowly drifting closer to unconsciousness. I could hear his diabolical laughing as he left, knowing he had succeeded in defeating me.

I knew I was probably going to die here. The bruises were all along my body, blacker than the tunnels themselves. The wounds he had managed to cut were bleeding madly, making me feel dizzy and lightheaded. I was sure that some of my bones were broken — I recognized that kind of pain from all the times I had broken one when playing sports. Breathing was becoming too much to bear, and so many times I had wished I would just stop. My heart was pounding so hard that it made my chains rattle — probably the only thing that made me look even the slightest bit alive. Parts of my clothes were shredded from all of my struggles.

I scarcely noticed the echo of footsteps. I only prayed that they wouldn’t hurt Scarlett. I could take all the torture and die like this, never opening my eyes again in another life. But Scarlett was so young. She was only a year old. She still had so much ahead of her. What was she doing here anyway?

Gosh, if I got a final wish it would be to say goodbye. Just one goodbye. To someday. Anyone!

“Just keep your head down,” a voice whispers quietly, scarcely audible. “They’re friends.”

“Melody …” I hear a familiar voice breathe. Right then I wanted so badly to lift my head up, to open my eyes. I just wanted to see his silvery-golden eyes, that I’ve seen so many times before.

I could hear Scarlett’s chains rattling as she suddenly began struggling. I wanted to tell her that she should save her strength. That the Monster would come back sooner once he heard. But my worries were put to rest as I heard the sounds of metal breaking — surely that meant Scar was free, right? I could only hope. I had lost so much blood that I wasn’t entirely sure this was real. What if this was all a hallucination? I mean, what would Kevin and Scarlett be doing here?

“It’s real,” the voice whispers. “They’ve come to save you.”

I think I’ve gone crazy. I’m hearing voices now? Isn’t that a symptom of insanity?

I didn’t focus on that long, though. Suddenly the Monster’s voice growls, “Get you and your sister out of here, Jesse Theodore Andrews.”

Jesse?! How many people are here?!! I think, drifting for only a second before coming back miserably. Oh, get Jesse and Scarlett out of here! I think worriedly.

“No,” Scarlett says, sounding just like Alison at her most stubborn. “YOU HURT HER!!!!!:

I could feel the heat as fire erupted, suddenly wondering if Alison was here also. A fierce wind filled my ears with its screeching. It stung me with unimaginably agony as it hit my tenderly bruised and cut skin. My eyes shot open from the shock of the sudden pain, as I fought the automatic impulse to scream. I take this excruciating moment and sudden awareness to good use, studying my surroundings.

I first met Kevin’s familiar silvery-golden eyes. That’s when I knew it was real. This wasn’t a dream. I wasn’t insane. Kevin, Jesse, and even Scarlett were here! But, I wasn’t able to enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

I studied the Monster — I was never able to get a good look at him, which is why, if you have not already noticed, I called him the “Monster.” But, now I got a good look at him, as Scarlett continued throwing balls of fire crazily at him — remind me to tell Alison that her daughter is a fire-elemental. The reorganization was a shocking discovery. It-it couldn’t be … I think, my gasp getting stuck in my throat.

Suddenly the metal chains that had been holding me captive broke, setting me free as I fell to the ground. Kevin was by my side in an instant helping me keep my head above the water that was filling up the decent-sized space there was in this cavern at an alarming rate. “Are you okay?” My raw throat forbids me to answer that question. But, I knew he already knew what I would’ve said, “What do you think?”

“I’m gonna end this once and for all,” Kevin growls, pulling out a wooden stake. I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to scream as much as I had right then. I tried to, time and time again, but not even the faintest whisper or moving of breath came out as he ran toward the Monster.

Then it felt like everything was in slow motion. Kevin’s stake went through the Monster’s heart. A scream pierced the air, shattering whatever quietness was left. The water was suddenly set ablaze. A cry of agony that I had no idea I could make came, mingling with the yell of rage.

“Spread your wings and fly,” the voice whispers. I don’t know why I outstretched my wings, slowly and painfully standing. I grabbed Jesse and Scarlett — they’re half vampire, and I’m sure that even Scarlett would burn otherwise — before I began speeding through the dark and fiery tunnels. I kept hearing the same whispering voice, guiding me through the tunnels. I couldn’t help but look behind myself, to be sure that Kevin had made it. He was right behind me, holding an infuriated Alison who struggled without mercy.

“YOU KILLED MY DAD!!!!!” She growls furiously. Suddenly I broke through the thick rock that had held me there for too long a time, the light blinding me as I collapse, finally unconscious.