Misery Loves It's Company

The Band

Yup, Peter was right. I broke my wrist. Damn wall at the dead end. No damn girls for chasing me just to get Peter’s autograph even though they could have chased after him. But no, and now I’m wearing a cast around my wrist almost up to my elbow. The one thing I hate the most is that the cast is pink. It’s the only color they had. Damn the hospital for only having pink. I think the reason I am so mad at everything is because I’m hyped up on pain killers. Fun stuff by the way.

“How ya feeling?” Pat asked sitting next to me on the couch. I would have preferred Peter sitting next to me asking this question but he was at the pharmacy.

“Helleish.”

“Helleish?” he asked laughing slightly. I could tell he was still so sad, and I could understand but he was trying to not think about it. I knew he didn’t want to go into a deep depression and he was just trying to stay on top.

“It’s a new word I just made up.”

“Why not just say hellish?”

“Because helleish sounds cooler, I guess. I don’t know. I’m so out of it right now.”

He smiled and took a drink of his water. There was a knock at the door and I stood up.

“No I’ll get it,” Pat said and walked two feet. The couch was literally right next to the door.

“Hey Pat! Whatcha doing here?” I smiled as I heard the voice I would know anywhere.

“Joe!” I shouted jumping off the couch. He ran past Pat and hugged me.

“Hey Bells!”

“What the hell happened to your hand?” Andy asked after giving Pat a hug. Andy was also pretty close to Hillary. It was more of a good friend’s thing though. Joe on the other hand never really knew Hillary; I had never really been able to get along with her so I rarely ever saw her. Sometimes Pete would spend a day or two with her while I would go shopping or clean the apartment. Joe and I really had no idea what Pete, Pat, and Andy were going through. I just knew that I wanted to try and make them feel better.

“Oh you know those fan girls. Can’t get enough of me,” I said. Andy smiled and it made me warm up inside. Pete walked through the door coming into the conversation a little late.

“Girls can’t get enough of you?” he asked closing the door and dropping the bag of drugs on the counter, then turned to me and gave me a confused look.

“Sorry, Pete, your girlfriend has switched teams. She’s gay now,” Joe said putting his arm around my shoulder and squeezing me tightly to his side.

“God I hope not. I love her too much to let her leave me for another woman.”

“Don’t worry Wentz; I’m not going to leave you,” I said and gave him a kiss and a hug.

“I’ll be right back, I’m gonna get some air,” Pat said and walked out the door. A weird feeling came into my stomach and I felt really bad.

“I didn’t mean to upset him,” I whispered to Peter.

“It’s okay Bella. It’s just really hard. I’m going to go out and talk to him,” Pete said hugging me tighter and then letting me go. He walked out the door and Andy followed.

“So…I guess, it’s just the two of us, we can make it on our own, just the two of us!” Joe sang.

“And that is why you play the guitar,” I said sitting on the couch. Joe sat next to me making the couch move up and down a little.

“So what really happened to your arm?” he asked grabbing the cast and examining it. “And why is it in a pink cast?”

“I didn’t want it to be pink! It’s the only freakin color they had. But as for my arm, these three girls wanted Peter’s autograph and instead of chasing him they chased me so that I would make him give them their autographs. I ran into an alley and ended up at a dead end but I realized it too late and smacked my hand into a wall.”

“Were the three girls hot?” he asked.

I punched him in the arm with my left hand. “So, I’m really worried about Pete. I don’t know how he’s taking his sister’s death. I mean I feel really sad but I don’t even know what it is like to be him. I mean he has known her all his life.”

“Peter’s a strong guy, he’ll be fine. It’s Patrick that I’m worried about.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. They were madly in love. Andy’s taking it pretty hard too. He and Hillary were good friends. I don’t think that Pat, Andy, and Pete will be coming in here any time soon.”

“Well I hope they do. It’s freezing outside,” I said standing up and going over to the stove.

“I’ll make them some coffee for when they come back in," I added.

“Ah, such a good girlfriend,” Joe said coming over to help me.

“I try,” I said smiling.

Patrick, Pete, and Andy came back in about 20 or so minutes later and they accepted the coffee. We all drank in silence, Joe didn’t try to crack any jokes. There was an awkward feeling in the air and I knew they had talked a lot outside.

“Hey, so I’m kind of tired, I think I’m just gonna head out,” Pat said.

“Yeah me too. I’ll walk you to your car,” Andy offered. Pat nodded and they both stood up.

“See ya later Pete,” they said. They nodded at me and I waved bye.

“Well, I guess that means I have to go too, because Andy is my ride home,” Joe said.

“Ok, see you later,” I said giving him a hug goodbye. As soon as the apartment was empty and it was just Pete and I, I gave him another hug.

“How are you feeling?” I asked.

“I still can’t believe that she is gone,” he said his voice cracking a little. I had no idea what to say to comfort him so I just held him tighter.

“I think I’m just gonna go to bed early,” he said kissing the top of my head.

“Okay,” I said barely above a whisper. He let go of me and walked into the bedroom. He left the door open but just by a crack. I put on my coat since it was so cold outside and some comfortable shoes. I opened the door and shut it quietly behind me. I pulled out my cell phone and hit 2 on speed dial.

“Hello?”