Sequel: Plummet
Status: Complete with a sequel on the way

Freefall

16

We stayed until it got dark out, but then I finally told Paul that I had to get home. I explained, “I haven’t done my homework yet and Chris must be worried.”

Paul nodded and we said our goodbyes. Standing outside, he wrapped his arms around me and said, “See? That wasn’t so bad.”

“You’re right. They’re great,” I replied honestly.

He beamed at me. “See? What did I tell you?”

I stared at him, enjoying his smile. Rarely was it so open. After a few seconds, I felt that strange, intense energy that seemed to pop up so frequently around him. A strange look crossed his face, and suddenly I was dead certain that he was going to kiss me.

I struggled with myself. The logical part of me said this was bad, that it was too strange, too fast. Everything else was screaming at me to move in closer.

So that’s what I did.

I’d been kissed before, but not like this.

Never with so much behind it. Never in a way that made me feel not only better, but like nothing bad had ever touched me.

Paul pulled away first, and when he did, we were both gasping in air. “I should probably get you home,” he muttered, turning and walking to the car. I was confused.

Maybe he was thinking that this was all a mistake. Maybe he was regretting imprinting.

I got into the passenger side, barely able to keep my hands from shaking. “Is something wrong?” I asked as he backed out of the driveway at a speed that I would normally yell at him for. Just then, though, I had bigger issues.

He glanced at me and his eyes scanned my face. He frowned. “No… Yes. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have done that.”

A laugh escaped my lips. “Are you kidding? That’s it?”

His frown deepened. “I don’t want to pressure you. I know you’re still wary about all of this.”

I started to nod, but then stopped. Was I? Now I was only feeling contentment. I’d accepted the strange twist my life had taken. “Aren’t you?” he asked when I didn’t say anything.

I gulped. This was like jumping off of a ledge, not knowing if the ground would be there to catch me. “Well, actually…” I winced. How to put this? “I think I’m alright.”

Paul hit the brakes and the car skidded to a stop. “What?” He looked at me incredulously, with so much hope that my heart stuttered. I felt horribly guilty for taking so long to come around. If I had been in his position, I don’t know how I could have handled the suspense and the feeling of rejection that must have come up when I took so long to come around.

“I… I think that I’m alright with the whole ‘imprinting’ thing. Actually, I think I might like it.” Suddenly, I was being crushed against him. His arms were wound tightly around me and his cheek was pressing against my hair. I hugged him back. This feeling, this comfort, was beginning to feel like something I couldn’t live without.