‹ Prequel: Hopeless Hearts

After Everything's Said and Done

Love?

I was standing in the kitchen of Ray’s friend’s house feeling alone. Sure, there were a lot of people here, but Gerard had gone off somewhere almost as soon as we had arrived. Why I had agreed to go, I’ll never know.

Slightly bored and feeling odd just standing in the kitchen, I got a drink. I went towards the living room and leaned against the large entry way to the room, watching everyone dance.

I sensed someone stop and stand next to me. I turned to see who it was and immediately glared at the person. I started to head into the living room but was stopped when the person grabbed my wrist, pulling me back.

“Claire,” said Frank. I pulled my wrist out of his hand.

“I thought I told you I didn’t want to see you ever again,” I said angrily.

“Please, Claire!” Can we just talk?” said Frank, sounding desperate.

“What is there to talk about, Frank?” I asked.

“Just come with me,” said Frank. He grabbed my hand tightly so I couldn’t get away and unwillingly led me down a hallway. He opened doors in the hallway, looking for an empty one. He found an empty room and pulled me inside, closing the door behind us.

Frank let go of my hand and I quickly went to the opposite side of the bedroom we were in.

“What do we need to talk about?” I said angrily, folding my arms over my chest and glaring at Frank.

“I need to know something,” said Frank. He came closer to me and I tried to back up but the wall was in my way. Frank was string into my eyes and I turned my head, tearing my eyes from his. He was right in front of me.

“Get away from me,” I said. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him shake his head.

“Claire, I need to know.. Do you still love me?” he asked.

I didn’t expect that. I didn’t know what to say, but did the first thing that came to mind. Still not looking at Frank, I shook my head. I could feel the tears building.

I felt a hand on my chin, turning my head to meet its owner’s eyes.

“Do you still love me?” Frank asked again. A single tear escaped my eye. I couldn’t look away from his eyes. I missed looking into them, the comforting feeling they would give me.

“Yes,” I whispered. He brought his hand to my face and wiped the tear from my face. He started to bring his lips closer to mine but I turned my head.

“Don’t,” I said.

“Why?” he asked.

“You can’t just tell me you love me and expect everything to be fine,” I said.

“But you said you still love me,” he said.

“Yes I did. I do still love you,” I replied. “But you broke my heart. Plus I have Gerard now and you have Missy.”

“I broke up with Missy,” Frank said. I turned my head back to look at him.

“Why?” I questioned.

“She wasn’t you,” he said. I stared at him for a moment.

“That doesn’t change anything,” I said. Before Frank could say any more, I quickly stepped around him and left the room to look for Gerard.