‹ Prequel: Hopeless Hearts

After Everything's Said and Done

Think about it.

After I had calmed down a bit, I asked Frank if he would help get Gerard to agree to leave with me. By the time we found Gerard, he was so wasted he didn’t care where he went. I sat with Gerard outside on the steps that led to the front door while Frank called a taxi.

I hated to admit it, but Frank was starting to win me over. Well, my friendship at least. But I wasn’t going to forgive him for abandoning me with the baby.

I was still upset Gerard had slapped me. He’ll probably forget ever doing it by the time he woke up tomorrow. I heard the door open behind me and turned my head to see Frank coming out of the house. He sat next to me on the stairs.

“The taxi’s on its way,” he said quietly.

I nodded my head. Gerard neither did nor said nothing, seeing as he was leaning on my other side, almost passed out.

“Thank you,” I said.

“Anything for you,” Frank said, smiling at me. “Do you want me to come with you? To help get Gerard to his apartment?”

“If you don’t mind,” I said. I knew I wouldn’t be able to get Gerard up to his apartment on my own.

“I don’t mind,” he said. I gave him a small smile.

I was starting to confuse myself. Earlier I was angry with Frank, and now her I am asking him for help and being nice.

I looked at Gerard while waiting for the taxi to come. Did I have feelings for him?

“Claire,” said Frank, interrupting my thoughts. Startled, I quickly looked at Frank.

“What?” I asked.

“The taxi’s here,” he said.

“Oh,” I said. I looked to the street and saw the taxi waiting for us. Frank got up and offered me his hand before I had the chance to get up. I reluctantly took it and shivered slightly from the tingling feeling that went through my body when my hand touched his. He pulled me up and I stared into his eyes before realizing I still had a hold of his hand. I quickly pulled my hand from his and looked at Gerard. I went to his right side and grabbed his arm. Remembering that he was helping too, Frank did the same on Gerard’s left side. We both hoisted Gerard’s left side. We both hoisted Gerard to his feet. I placed Gerard’s arm around my shoulders and placed my hand on his back. Gerard was still conscious but not much help. Frank and I pretty much had to drag/carry Gerard to the taxi and Gerard was not light.

The taxi driver, seeing us coming towards the taxi, quickly got out of the car and went around to the opposite side to open the door to the back seat for us. The taxi driver was getting back into the driver’s seat when we finally reached the waiting taxi.

“I’ll get in first,” I said. Frank nodded his head and held Gerard up as best he could while I quickly got into the backseat. We finally got Gerard into the back sat, Frank getting in after him and closing the door. I told the driver where to go and before I knew it we were outside Gerard’s apartment building. I payed the driver and Frank and I got Gerard out
of the taxi.

When we had gotten inside the building, Gerard was being a little more helpful, which made it easier to get him to his apartment. As I struggled to unlock the apartment door, while helping hold Gerard up, I felt cold lips touch my warm cheek. When the lips left my cheek, I turned my head to see Gerard looking at me.

“I’m sorry I slapped you,” he slurred.

“It’s ok,” I said quietly. It really wasn’t, but I didn’t think it was best to say so at the moment.

I finally unlocked the door and Frank and I brought Gerard into his room and laid him on the bed. Frank left the room as I pulled off Gerard’s shoes and covered him with the blankets on his bed.

I went back into the living room closing the bedroom door behind me. Frank was standing near me with concern etched on his face.

“Is that why you were crying?” Frank suddenly asked.

“What?” I asked, a little surprised.

“Were you crying because Gerard hit you?” he asked. He was staring intently into my eyes, making it hard to look away. But I did. I looked at my feet, still feeling Frank’s gaze on me.

“Yes,” I said.

“Goddammit. I’m going to kick his ass when he wakes up tomorrow,” said Frank, sounding angry. I looked at him.

“It’s not his fault,” I said, quickly. “He was drunk.”

Frank came closer to me.

“I don’t care if he was drunk,” he said. “He shouldn’t have hurt you.”

Before I could reply, Frank placed his lips on mine quickly. I pulled away just as quickly.

“I told you I can’t do this,” I said, getting angry with him again.

“Why, though?” asked Frank.

“I told you that already,” I said.

“But--,” he started, but I cut him off.

“No, Frank,” I said.

“Can you just think about it?” he asked. I thought for a minute.

“I’ll think about it,” I replied. I wasn’t just doing this for him. I needed to figure out my feelings too.

Frank smiled.

“Thank you,” he said. He started towards the apartment door. “I’ll see you later.”

I just nodded and Frank left. I stared at the apartment door after Frank left, feeling confused and tiered. I brought my hand to my lips and touched them gently with my fingertips. I could still feel the familiar sensation of his lips on mine. I never had that tingling feeling with Gerard. Were Gerard and I better as friends? Did I want to be with Frank?