‹ Prequel: Hopeless Hearts

After Everything's Said and Done

Friends Are Too Kind

“So where are you staying?” asked Gerard.

I had finally stopped crying and Gerard and I were doing some catching up. We were also drinking some coffee Gerard had gotten us. After I had stopped crying he had run back down to Starbucks and had gotten us each a drink.

“I’m staying at a cheap motel outside of the city,” I said before taking a careful sip of the hot beverage Gerard had given me.

“What?!” exclaimed Gerard. “You should stay here with me!”

“I don’t know..” I said.

“Oh, come on!” he said. “I’m lonely! I need someone to keep me company.”

“What about the guys?” I asked.

“They’re always busy,” said Gerard. “I’m amazed we still get together for band practice.”

“You guys still play together?” I asked, interested. I had enjoyed watching their practices when I could in New Jersey.

“Yeah,” said Gerard. “We even get gigs sometimes.”

“That’s great Gee!” I exclaimed. “You have to tell me the next time you get a gig so I can come watch.”

“Well, in that case,” said Gerard. “We have a gig on the sixth.”

“That’s the day after my birthday,” I said. “I’ll make sure to come.”

“Your birthday’s on the fifth?” asked Gerard.

I nodded.

“Well, I’ll have to plan something,” he said. “Now, let’s go get your stuff because you’re staying with me.”

“Gerard!” I said. “I can’t stay with you!”

“Why not?” asked Gerard, standing up and staring at me.

“Well,” I started, “Because..because..I don’t know.”

“Then it’s settled!” he exclaimed, smiling. “You’re staying with me.”

It was now nighttime. Gerard and I had gotten my stuff from the motel I had stayed in for one night and checked out. After bringing my bags back to Gerard’s apartment we had gone out to lunch, and then later, out for dinner. Gerard told me he needed to get food and that was the reason we went out for both meals.

Gerard and I were now watching TV.

“Gerard?” I said, yawning.

“Yeah?” he said.

“I’m tired,” I said. “Where am I sleeping?”

“In my bed,” he said. “I’ll be sleeping on the couch.”

“No,” I said. “You take your bed. I’ll take the couch.”

Gerard pushed me gently off the couch we were sitting on and quickly lay down.

“You can have the couch if you can get me off of it,” he said, smiling at me.

“Gerard!” I said. “Just go sleep in your bed!”

Gerard didn’t say anything. He just smiled some more and closed his eyes. Getting frustrated, I grabbed his arm and pulled, with no results.

“Fine!” I yelled, in frustration. I stomped angrily to Gerard’s room and slammed the door behind me. I quickly changed into some pajamas and got into Gerard’s large bed, which happened to be very comfortable.

I lay on my back for a while, staring at the ceiling. Just as I was beginning to fall asleep, there was a light knock on the bedroom door.

“What?” I called.

“Can I come in?” asked Gerard’s voice from the other side of the door.

“It’s your room,” I replied.

I continued to stare at the ceiling. I heard the door open then close. Then I felt the bed move as Gerard got in. I looked over and saw him laying next to me and looking at me.

“Are you mad at me?” he asked.

“No,” I said.

“Ok then,” he said. “Good night.”

He moved forward to kiss me on the forehead, and then started to get out of the bed.

“You don’t have to go,” I said.

“Huh?” he said, looking back at me.

“You can sleep here,” I said. “Just don’t try anything funny.”

“Ok,” he said, smiling. He got under the covers next and lay down next to me. “Good night, Claire.”

“Good night, Gerard,” I replied. I closed my eyes and fell asleep quickly.
♠ ♠ ♠
I kind of like this chapter.
~Sally