‹ Prequel: Hopeless Hearts

After Everything's Said and Done

Talk

I awoke the next morning to someone knocking on the apartment door. I looked at Gerard who was still asleep.

“Gerard?” I said.

“Hm?” he replied, just barely awake now.

“Someone’s knocking on the door,” I said.

“Can you get it?” he mumbled.

“Yeah,” I said. I slipped out of bed, realizing I was still very naked. Before throwing on some clothes though, I went to the bedroom door and yelled, much to Gerard’s displeasure, “I’ll be right there!”

The knocking ceased and I heard Gerard grumble about my yelling. I just rolled my eyes and opened a random drawer in Gerard’s dresser. I found some boxers and quickly pulled a pair out of the drawer and slipped them on. I opened another drawer with shirts and slipped one on. I quickly opened the bedroom door and ran to the apartment door. I pulled it open to see Frank waiting somewhat patiently to open the door.

“What do you want?” I asked. I folded my arms and stared at him.

“Is Gerard here?” he asked.

“Yeah,” I said. “But he’s still in bed.”

Not seeming to care that his friend was trying to sleep or the fact he hadn’t been invited in, Frank walked past me, quickly heading to Gerard’s bedroom. I quickly closed the apartment door and followed him.

“Gerard!” said Frank, walking into the bedroom. I stayed in the doorway to the room.

“Ugh, what?” mumbled Gerard, sitting up and yawning. But Frank didn’t hear Gerard. He was looking at the clothes that had been thrown randomly on the floor. They were Gerard’s and my clothes from last night. Frank then looked at me and then at Gerard.

“Did you two…?” he started. He didn’t finish what he started to say. “I can’t believe this. My best friend had sex with my ex.”

When either Gerard or I did nothing to deny this statement, he just shook his head.

“Unbelievable,” he said. He turned to leave, but I was in his way. “Get out of my way,” he said coldly.

“Frank,” I said. “We need to talk.”

“Whatever,” he said. I stepped out of the way and he left the bedroom.

“Stay in here while I talk to him,” I said to Gerard before closing the bedroom door. It was kind of pointless to have said that because Gerard had laid back down and did not look like he was about to get up. After closing the door, I headed to the living room where Frank was waiting for me.

“What do we need to talk about?” asked Frank, sounding a little angry.

“I want to know why you’re getting mad over what’s going on between me and Gerard,” I said. “I can sleep with and be with whoever I want. Why are you getting mad at Gerard?”

“Because,” said Frank, looking me straight in the eye. “I still love you.”