Status: In progress! :)

One in a Million

"Watch out for that girl. One day, she may change the world."

It must have been the lack of things to do or sheer boredom that made Aalia suddenly so angry. The more she stared at the phone in her hands, the more she felt like throwing it across the room. She couldn’t stand it when people hung up on her. The man had been so rude, yelling for no reason at a complete stranger who made a tiny mistake. She would have shrugged it off had he just told her politely that she had the wrong number. She didn’t know why she was getting so worked up about it – maybe the Caroline-free silence was finally making her insane. But she made up her mind and went out on a limb, pressing “redial” and waiting.

“Hello?” said the voice from before, this time much more soft-spoken and calm, as if he was trying to keep his voice as quiet as possible.

“Listen, jerk,” Aalia spat out, “It was just a fucking wrong number and you don’t need to go berserk like you’re some crazy important person who can never be called. I mean, jeez! Who in their right mind—“

His voice was quick to transform into scorn as he interrupted her.

“I told you not to call here again,” he said through gritted teeth.

“I don’t have to listen to you! You don’t even know me or even have the common courtesy to—“

“Look, if you’re some reporter, just ask your question and get it over with before I hang up.”

That sent Aalia over the edge.

“Reporter!? Excuse me? What the f—I am not a reporter! Who do you think you are? I just called for someone I thought I could find at this number and I get you – some pushy, ignorant, conceited, rude guy who –“

“Wait, so you don’t know whose number this is?”

She sighed impatiently. “No. Look, I just want to talk to Caroline, okay?”

There was a long pause before he spoke again. His voice morphed into something much more gentle compared to the angry tone he’d been using the entire time.

“Well then in that case, I apologize. I was just…freaked.”

Aalia rolled her eyes, not really concerned with anything he had to say.

He chuckled without humor. “Let’s just say I don’t like too many people getting my number.”

“Alright then. Whatever floats your boat,” she sighed, “So is Caroline there or not?”

“Sorry, there’s no Caroline here that I know of.”

She groaned, realizing the past ten minutes had been a complete waste of her time.

“Okay. Bye then,” she said, pulling the phone away from her ear.

“No, wait!” she heard the guy yell.

“What?”

“Can’t I at least know your name?” he said quietly.

She scoffed loudly. “First, you order me to never call your number again. Then, you want to try to flirt with me? Not gonna work, mister.”

He laughed. “Had to give it a shot.”

“You don’t even know me. For all you know, I could be some fat, creepy, old pedophile guy using a voice changer.”

“Well, are you?”

She paused. “No.”

“Okay, then. Problem solved.”

“You’re just going to trust me?”

He sounded like he was smiling. “Yup.”

“You’re odd.”

“I’ve been told that a lot,” he said softly.

There was a long, awkward pause.

“I guess I feel like talking to someone new,” he mumbled, barely audible.

“I know the feeling,” she sighed, “But I should probably go.”

His voice was disappointed. “Your friend will want to hear from you.”

“Yeah, Caroline will have a fit if I don’t call her.”

“Okay. It was nice talking to you.”

She smiled for no reason. “Um, you too,” she stuttered.

She waited for him to say something, but there was silence.

“I’m going to hang up now,” she laughed.

He chuckled with her. “Right. See ya.”

“And my name is Aalia.”

“Aalia,” he repeated, “That’s really pretty.”

She felt stupid for blushing. “Thanks. Bye.”

“Bye.”

She stayed on the line until he hung up, and set the phone down on the carpet, turning her attention back to the sandwich. She didn’t know why she was so intrigued by their conversation, but something about him fascinated her. It had been no ordinary wrong number.

But like everything else, she shrugged it off. She stopped making up an imaginary life for the Mystery Boy in her mind and finished her dinner. After all, he was just a nobody and she was just a dreamer.

-----------------------------------

The next morning, Aalia was in dire need of a shopping trip. Without Caroline, she was out of luck. Dylan wouldn’t go even if Aalia paid her for it. So she went alone.

“I told you I hate shopping. How many times do I have to repeat myself?” Dylan spat over the phone as Aalia stood in front of a dressing room mirror at the mall, torn between to bathing suits.

“I know, I know. But I can’t decide and I need your help.”

“Remind me again how I’m supposed to help.”

“Just pick for me. There’s a silver metallic kind of one and a hot pink one with rainbow straps.”

Dylan groaned. “I don’t know! I’m the last person to ask about bikinis. Call Caroline.”

Aalia bit down on her lip, remembering the Mystery Boy. “I don’t want to bother her,” she lied.

“Dude, it’s Caroline. She skipped out on her midterm paper to go with you to Pacsun. She’d be thrilled. Just call her and get off my back, even though I love you dearly.”

She thought of telling Dylan about what had happened the last time she’d tried to call Caroline, but she knew she’d get a lecture about overreacting, talking to strangers, and failing to call the best friend who’s in an entirely different state, most likely feeling homesick without talking to her.

“I think she emailed me the wrong number, Dyl,” she said as calmly as she could, “I called it and got some random guy.”

“Oh, maybe she found some LA bait,” Dylan laughed, “Aw, well. Tell her in your next email.”

“Right,” said Aalia.

“And I’d go with the silver one. It’ll bring out your eyes and contrast the epic tan you’re going to get at the beach with me next week.”

“Whoa,” Aalia was taken aback, “I didn’t even think of that. Where’d that come from, Dyl?”

Dylan chuckled. “Google works wonders for the fashion challenged.”

“You’re the best,” Aalia smiled, using her free hand to put the silver bikini back on its hanger set, “Call me later?”

“Yeah, after my workout. Peace.”

“Later, skater.”

Aalia hung up the phone and changed back into her denim skirt and blue top. After paying for the bathing suit, she made her way back to her car and rolled down the windows. The steering wheel was scorching from the hot Arizona sun. As she reached to put the air conditioning on, her phone rang. She was beginning to think she talked on her cell way too much.

“Hello?” she said as she threw the shopping bag onto the backseat.

“Is this Aalia?” said a familiar voice.

“Um, yeah.”

There was a short, awkward pause.

“We talked last night. Do you remember?”

If it had been anyone else, she would have found it extremely creepy. But surprisingly, she didn’t.

“Yeah, I remember,” she said softly.

“I’m sorry. You probably think I’m a stalker with no life.”

She waited for him to continue. She could care less about his excuses. In the back of her mind, she knew what she was doing was crazy, but she had nothing else to go with. Something in her heart told her to listen.

His voice was soft when he spoke again.

“But I had to hear your voice again.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Updates are slow on this story and another one of mine mainly because of school.
I'm really sorry! But I'm trying my best.

Thanks to:
My heart slows down;
XoLillyAnnXo
white.crayon
C'est Moi C:
For all your comments. :)

Comment, tell me what you think, and let me know if you want me to keep going with this!
xoxo