Status: Active

Good Riddance

Part 2

Good Riddance, part 2

Frank's bitterness is chased away once again when he sees a concert ticket. Not any concert ticket but his first one.

************

Gerard wasn't as big of a fan of The Bouncing Souls, but he knew they were Frank's favorite band. Frank hadn't even heard of that show yet when his boyfriend arrived with the tickets, so it was a huge surprise. Gerard had even convinced his mom behind his back, promising he'd take care of her son and bring him home safe and sound afterwards.

It was a night Frank would never be able to forget. He could not only hear the music, he felt it with his whole body, it beat together with his heart, it was inside his head. Listening to the CDs, no matter how big or good the stereo, could never compare to the live experience. The power, the lights, the heat, the sweat. So many people jumping, screaming, singing and dancing to the same music, watching those same guys Frank admired so much play.

And then there had been Gerard. Sharing that night with him, that moment that he knew was only the first of many similar ones, made it even more unforgettable.

"I LOVE YOU, GEE!"

"WHAT?"

"I LOVE YOU!"

"WASN'T I THE CHEESY ONE?"

"WHAT?"

"THAT YOU SAY I'M THE CHEESY ONE!"

"FUCK YOU, I'M HAPPY!"

"YOU WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU, FRANKIE!"

"KISS ME!"

"WHAT?"

Frank gave up on communicating with words, the music was too loud and actions spoke better. He managed to turn his small body in the tight space left between the barrier and the rest of the crowd, face Gerard and stand on his tiptoes to kiss him. Gerard made things easier by lifting him, and as Frank wrapped his legs around his waist the kiss deepened. The band cheered for them as 'Hopeless Romantic' was ending, and for weeks after that night Frank kept telling everybody how The Bouncing Souls had dedicated the remaining songs to them. "Greg said we were the bravest kids in the crowd!" he'd repeat.

As if that night had kick started a new phase in their relationship, all their kisses got longer and more passionate after it. For Gerard's next visit, hands were more willing to roam, shy caresses turned into needy strokes and cuddling would often end up in heated make out sessions and sticky underwear. To Frank, all those changes were a little bit awkward and wholly breathtaking, but overall awesome. His hormones were all over the place and he was afraid he'd explode before he could see Gerard again.

Gerard's letters had showed him that he felt the same way. There was still a lot of humor and cheesiness in them, but a few lustful remarks and sexual promises had been added to their usual mailing. Their phone calls weren't what they used to be either.

************

Frank can't help but blush now at said letters. He doesn't think this is the best moment to bring back those kind of memories, but it's all part of the past he needs to relive one last time before he leaves it all behind; just as 'Thingy'.

Thingy is a plushie but, as its named indicates, an undefined one. It's purple, with big eyes and smile, no ears and five appendices that don't exactly resemble those of any being you could think of.

************

Gerard won Thingy on his second spring visit, knocking down cans with a little rubber ball at an amusement park. Frank said it was a monster from outer space, Gerard argued that it was just a happy amoeba. It was definitely ugly, that was something they agreed on. However, as it happens with all objects attached to very special memories, it would later become beautiful to Frank.

Both boys were eager to try all the rides -the more challenging and frightening the better. To be honest, none of them had ever ridden roller-coasters that big before, or been on those giant free-falling simulators and other torture-device looking machines; but they weren't afraid in the slightest. They had sworn to try them all.

Frank's weak stomach, however, had other plans. By their second ride he started to feel awful. He regretted having eaten lunch earlier and even the ice cream he'd had fifteen minutes before, as he felt it all rise up to his throat. He was thankful that he could hold it until the end and didn't make a mess all over himself and Gerard. He felt better after that, though, and insisted that they should continue with their original plan.

They did so for while -Frank even managing to enjoy the rides; their hands grasping metal bars together as they screamed, scared but thrilled and wanting more. Some races to the trash cans -when he'd make it- did the trick temporarily. It was when Gerard mentioned that Frank looked as green as the Yoshi on his t-shirt that he admitted defeat and they decided it had been enough of defying gravity.

They spent the rest of the night playing carnival games -mostly laughing at their bad luck and aim, and later eating candy and kissing on the ferris wheel once Frank's stomach had settled.

Frank's house was dark when Gerard escorted him there like he had promised Mrs. Iero. He kissed him good night and was about to leave, but Frank suddenly said he had something he wanted him to see in his room. They tiptoed through the first floor, up the stairs and into the bedroom, where the door quickly closed behind them.

In reality, Frank had nothing to show his boyfriend, and Gerard seemed to forget his reason to be there as soon as Frank fell back on the bed dragging him on top.

"Stay tonight," Frank said in between kisses.

"Frankie I...I don't think I should..."

"Oh come on, my parents know about us by now, they're obviously ok with it..."

"Still, I don't think they'd be happy with me sleeping with you under the same roof..."

"Their room is downstairs on the other side of the house, they won't hear us.."

"That's not the p..."

"Please?"

"Okay, okay..."

"Yay!"

"Uh...Frankie?"

"Mmm?"

"Can you turn Thingy around? It's like it's watching us..."

"Nope, it likes watching, it told me, Thingy's a pervy little monster from outer space."

"Amoeba. A pervy amoeba."

That night was Frank's first time -and also Gerard's, at least going by his word. They hadn't planned it, they'd never really talked about it seriously or discussed how they wanted it to be. But they were too euphoric, they'd had too much sugar, it was so hot in Frank's room and just knowing they shouldn't do it there only made them want it more.

It was far from perfect and magical. Frank had been too scared, both had been too nervous and tense. It was messy, clumsy and rather uncomfortable. Most of all it had hurt quite a lot, since they weren't even prepared for it and had to go with what they found. The last seconds made it all worth it nevertheless, when all pain and tenseness was pushed aside by ecstasy.

Afterwards Frank felt sore and exhausted, but definitely loved. Gerard strove to make him comfy, cleaning him up with a cool wet cloth and kissing, caressing and cuddling him to sleep.

************

More than three years later and on the same bed, Frank wipes the sweat out of his forehead and runs a hand through his dark pink fauxhawk -newly cut and dyed. Tears have gathered in his eyes, threatening to fall; but he blinks rapidly, takes a deep breath and gulps down a generous amount of beer.

"Come on, Frank, let's do this till the end..."

There's something small but bulkier than paper inside of an envelope that reads 'Last Summer'. Frank knows what it is and smiles fondly -with only a trace of sadness- as he fishes a wine stopper out of it and smells it. Yes, surprisingly the aroma still lingers on.

************

Frank's parents had gone out that night, and Gerard convinced his of doing the same. He hadn't told them he just wanted the house for Frank and himself, but suspected his mom had probably guessed it. Only that could explain the smirk and the "Behave, I don't think we'll be back until morning..." she'd given him as she crossed the door.

It was too hot to stay inside, so the two boys ate something not too heavy and spent all the time by the pool. They weren't exactly innovative when it came to thinking of what to do with their free time alone, but they figured no couple their age was, so they just enjoyed themselves.

When it was almost ten, Gerard told Frank to wait while he went into the house. Distracted as he was by the light reflecting on the water that he agitated with his bare feet, the sudden lips on his neck startled Frank. Gerard was quick to jump back and prevent the flailing arms from spilling the two glasses of wine he was holding.

"Aww, sorry, Gee! You just scared the shit out of me..."

"It's okay, baby, no damage done! Shouldn't have sneaked up on you like that, anyway, so I'm the one who's sorry."

"Is that wine I see? Haven't you always said you don't want to initiate me into alcohol drinking and then leave?"

"Well yeah...but this is a special occasion, just 'cause I say so. And even if you liked this wine a lot and wanted to find more when I'm gone...you wouldn't be able to."

"Why's that?"

"My grandpa makes it, I stole this bottle from his basement last time I was there."

"Oh...! So...what are we celebrating?"

"Mmm...let me think...uh...oh I know! We're celebrating that you have only one year left of high school! Then you'll be all mine."

"Are you planning to kidnap me, Mister Way?"

"Maybe...maybe..."

Honestly, Frank didn't like the wine. Gerard had said he shouldn't feel obliged to drink it, that he could have Coke instead, but Frank wasn't going to act like a little baby. He finished the first glass before Gerard did, although only because the other boy was too busy laughing at his wrinkled face. By the second glass, he began to enjoy the warm feeling and the light-headness the wine gave him, and the flavor became something unimportant. He didn't know at which moment Gerard had turned on the music, but they ended up dancing very close to each other. Frank prayed that Gerard wouldn't notice that his hyper-clinginess was in part due to him being afraid of falling down. His equilibrium was messed up.

They made love again that night -on a mattress near the pool, and it was so much better than their first time. Frank was slightly drunk and giddy, Gerard not that much since he was more used to drinking and they'd only had one bottle. The two were lucid enough to know they wanted it, and Gerard had brought what was needed to make it pleasurable for them both. When it was over, they moved to the pool steps for some calm hugging and kissing, the cool water cleaning and refreshing them.

************

The can of beer is nearly empty, and Frank places the stopper back into its envelope, still smiling. For two years that memory had been a difficult one, since it was the second but also last time they made love. Today, for once, he's been able to bring it back and only think of it as what it'd really been: a beautiful, perfect night. No matter what came later, no matter how their story ended.

Not much is left inside the box, and Frank reaches to the bottom of it to retrieve a round, flat snail shell. He turns it upside down and reads the "F + G" written with red permanent marker.

************

Fall break was short, and Gerard's grandparents had asked to see him. He paid them a visit and stayed with them for a couple of days before going home, which left him and Frank with less time together. They had been studying hard and didn't get to think of something really special to do those few days, so they basically just hung out.

They didn't make love because their moments alone felt rushed and they didn't like it that way, but their bodies still called for each other. There were new kinds of first times involved during their escapades to the beach, right before the sunset. It was after the last one, while sitting on the cold sand watching the stars take the pinkish sky, that Frank had picked up the shell. It was the most eye-catching, having ochre and black patterns instead of being plain white like the ones surrounding it. Gerard observed it from over Frank's shoulder before taking it and scrabbling something on it with the marker he'd always carry in a pocket of his jacket.

"Here you are, I improved it."

"Oh my, Gerard, you're the biggest cliché! You know that, right?"

"Yeah, yeah, whatever, but you love me. Want it more cliché?"

"...I'm not sure..."

"Your eyes tell me you do..."

"Traitors. Ok, bring it on."

"This shell is beautiful but tough, like our love. Most people would think it's just like any other love, but that's only because they're not looking close enough."

"You definitely have a talent for cheesiness...and I love you."

"And I love you, little one. Want more?"

"Maybe later, now kiss me."

"No problem, that's another one of my talents...although I must admit you're good competence."

"I try."
♠ ♠ ♠
Last part tomorrow!