Status: i hope you like :)

Secrets Will Kill You

Dead Silence

“Hey” a voice called. I looked up to see Dean walking back over to me. “Ready to go?” he asked. “Yea” I said, subtly.

We rode to Kurt’s house and hung out there for a bit. “Look…about before…I wasn’t trying to imply anything about the money…” he started.

“I know…sorry. It’s all just something I don’t like talking about” I said and he nodded.

“What was your step mom like?” he asked. I looked up and gave him a weird look. “Just making conversation” he shrugged.

"She was…a mom…but…she was different from other moms. She knew the boundaries of my life and my dad’s life…she knew we had a job to do…she didn’t always approve or agree but she never argued…well she rarely argued…she was there for me my whole life…” I said and then felt sad because here I am talking about my mom.

The woman I got to know and live with for 23 years…while Dean only knew his mom for six years…it wasn’t fair… “Umm…she was really good friends with your mom” I said and he continued to listen but more eager now…I could tell.

“I know she would always talk about your mom…after I guess what happened to you and me, she would always talk about this woman, Mary, and I never quite knew who exactly she was talking about but I kind of knew at the same time…they were best friends…”

“Can you…can you remember anything else she told you about her?”

I stared at him with gentle eyes. “Umm…I remember her saying Mary was always kind to everyone and everything…”

“That’s Sammy” he murmured, smiling to himself.

“Yea” I smiled too. “She was also stubborn though and she took on a lot of responsibility…that’s you” I said and he didn’t respond.

He just looked down at his feet. I laughed a little. “Our moms were popular in school, had all the guys at their feet…you have all the guys at your feet too Dean?” I smirked.

“Yea, well, I…” he started saying, proudly but stopped himself, realizing I led him into a trap.

I laughed and he glared but then just smiled at me, shaking his head. "You get your charm from her and your dad though. That's definitely true" I continued.

He looked up at me and just stared at me for a moment. But then we heard a crash coming from Kurt’s house and we both snapped our heads in its direction. We raced up to the door, hearing glass shatter and this time Dean just kicked the door wide open and we walked in, armed. I could smell iron…and as we approached the room, there was Kurt’s body on the floor with his ribs popping out of his open chest. We saw a figure standing over him but it was a human…the figure spun to face us…it was Madison. But, she had piercing blue eyes, blood on her sharp teeth and she growled at us. Then she lunged at us and I dodged her swing but she threw Dean into the wall and went for him. I wanted to shoot her and I would have easily got her down but I couldn’t take the chance of missing and shooting Dean instead. Then as she pinned him to the wall, he whipped out a silver knife and managed to slice her arm. She hissed and jumped out the balcony window as I raced to it, shooting but she was gone.

“Damn it” I cursed. I walked back into the room and over to Dean who dropped to the floor. “You alright?” I asked, helping him up. “Yea” he grunted.

As the sun started to rise, Dean got on the phone with Sam and apparently Sam just doesn’t believe it was Madison. So, we got back to her apartment and I told Dean to go on inside while I got my bike back onto the truck. Then, I walked inside and Brit came over to me.

“Hey” I said gently.

“It’s just not fair” she said and she didn’t have to say anything else. She certainly wasn’t feeling bad for Madison, that was for sure.

“I know…what’d I miss?” I asked, gesturing toward Sam and Dean.

“Dean thinks it’s Madison but Sam says she blacks out and cant remember anything but Dean thinks she’s lying since it was her boss and ex-boyfriend. Sam thinks she cant control it so Dean thinks it wont change anything but Sam still wont put a bullet through the girls head…you’re caught up”

“Sam, she’s a monster, and you’re feeling sorry for her?” Dean asked. “Maybe I understand her” Sam snapped and it got quiet.

Dean glanced at me. I could see where Sam was coming from…I felt the same way sometimes…but I wish this moron would see that Brittney is here for him when he would need her to be. I mean, really, the two of them! Are they so dense and naïve to not see what could be right in front of them?

“Look, there might be another way we can get the job done without having to waste her"

“Are you thinking what I think you’re thinking?”

Sam started to flip through john’s journal. “Dad’s theory…lycanthropy might have a cure if you kill the werewolf who bit you, severing the bloodline’”

“Might have a cure. Meaning, ‘who the hell knows?’”

“It’s worth a shot”

“We don’t even know where to start looking, all right? I mean, the puppy that bit her could be anyone, anywhere. It could’ve been years ago”

Then, suddenly, Sam seemed to realize something. “No. I don’t think so” he said, walking into the living room. Dean followed.

“I swear, we need pop corn when we watch those too fight” I said and Brit laughed as we followed the boys to see Madison tied to a seat.

“Madison, when were you mugged? Please. It’s important, all right? Just answer the question” Sam said.

“About a month ago”

“Did you see the guy?”

“No. He grabbed me from behind”

“Did he bite you?”

She stared up at him in shock. “How did you know that?”

“Where?”

“On the back of my neck”

We all went behind her as Sam brushed her hair away and we saw a huge bruised lump on her neck. “Oh, that’s just a love bite. Believe me, that could have been a lot worse” Dean commented.

“Where were you at the time?” I asked.

“Walking home from a friend’s loft"

“Let me guess. Not too far from Hunter’s Point?” Brit inquired and she nodded.

We all walked into another room and Sam shut the door. Dean and Sam argued some more. The same place the other murders happened was werewolf’s hunting grounds and we couldn’t just take Madison to the place and risk having her change and eat all the people. Sam told Dean he needed him to go out and try to look for the thing while he agreed to stay and he promised he would shoot if she broke loose…then, Dean suggested Brit should stay as well to shoot if Sam doesn’t. She agreed. I threw her a sad, sympathetic smile before Dean and I were out the door.

We were walking down a very dark and depressing sidewalk. There were so many weird smells around, that I just stopped inhaling through my nose all together. Then we heard some screaming and raced down an alley and saw a werewolf pinning some kind of hooker down to the ground.

“Hey!” Dean shouted and shot at it. It fell over and when we ran to it, the woman ran away. “Hey, don’t mention it!” he yelled at her, sarcastically as I crouched down to the body.

“Dean” I said sadly.

He crouched beside me. “Damn” he sighed.

“It’s Madison’s neighbor”

“What happened? Where am I? Help me. Oh, God. Oh my God” he started to panic.

“All right, easy, Glen. Just take it easy” Dean said gently. Then…we watched him die right in front of us.

~~~

We all stayed up with Madison passed midnight to make sure it was really over…she didn’t change. It was 1:00 in the morning when Brit said she needed some air so I gave her the keys to the truck so she could just drive around for a while…it was a good thing too because then Dean made a very non-smooth excuse for us to leave and give Madison and Sam some privacy. Hey, I’ve grown to really like Sam and I want him to be happy so I wont come in between him and the women he sleeps with…but I just want him to stop being a friggin idiot!

“You wanna go get some food? I’m starving” Dean said as we got to the Impala. “Sounds good to me” I agreed.

We got to a close diner and ordered some food…then…we kind of just talked…a lot. We talked about Sam…Brittney…our families…but then we started talking about ourselves. We talked about music…and about our tapes that we both have…we talked about what life may have been like if we weren’t hunters…what it would’ve been like if we kept our memory of everything…of each other…that just led us to an awkward moment. But, we got passed it.

“What were you doing before you came on your own?” he asked.

I could tell he was avoiding talk about what happened to my family…how it happened…he didn’t even bring up anything relevant to it in that question…and I appreciated it. I looked down slightly at my coffee.

“You cant laugh…but I was going to college at Julliard…I had a full scholarship…”

Really?” he asked, chuckling to himself. “You didn’t peg me as the singing/acting type”

“Well I’m not” I laughed a little too. “I went because my mother was the singing/acting type. I kind of just wanted to make her happy…I wasn’t miserable though so it was okay”

“What did you want to do?”

“Be a journalist…maybe an artist…” I said, timidly. He nodded.

It wasn’t fair how he made me feel timid sometimes…and I resented him for it. We just continued to talk some more and then noon came around and we went back to Madison’s apartment, to make sure everything was okay and to hopefully take Brit and Sam back to the motel.

It was now 3:00 in the morning so it was still pitch black out as rain clouds started to form above us. We got out of the Impala and Dean stopped me from moving. “Sam’s in there” he stated. “We should give him a few more minutes” he said and all I could do was nod.

I still wasn’t happy about any of it. “Do you ever feel like you’ve been robbed?” I asked, suddenly.

“Of opportunities?…possibilities?” he questioned. I nodded. “All the time” he said, sticking his hands into his pockets and he leaned his back against the car. I just stood there.

“I should be dead Mel…my dad…why…” his voice cracked a little and just stopped all together. “You were his son, Dean…” I started but just stopped.

Nothing I could say could help him with what he was feeling. Instead, I turned to face him and gently touched his arm, having him relax a little. Then, he got in front of me to face me.

“Tell me exactly why we cant just celebrate that kiss we had when we had that case with the Croatoan virus” he said, suddenly.

“Dean…that was months ago”

“Not that many months”

“I have issues…”

“And I don’t?”

“I have different kinds of issues…”

Then he pushed me lightly against the Impala. “Melissa…I like you…give me a chance…and help me out a little, I’ve never actually had to try to ask a girl out”

“Well you never came up against me before” I smirked.

It started to down pour. I stared into his green eyes as he placed a hand on my waist and then without any warning…he kissed me. He kissed me hard and passionately. I started to kiss back just as hard. He wrapped both arms around me tightly as my arms were clutched to my body and my finger tips grazed his face. He pulled his face away slightly but kept me close as he put his forehead against mine. I smiled.

“You’re no Orlando Bloom but you’ll do” I joked and he just chuckled, shaking his head.

“Melissa!” I heard someone call.

I turned to see Brit come out of the apartment. Through the rain, I could see tears falling from her eyes. “Brit what’s wrong?” I asked, fully concerned.

My attention wasn’t on Dean now, it was on Brit. She flew into me, crying into my shoulder. “I walked in on them…Sam and Madison…they were having sex and I walked in” she said quietly. Wow, she really loved this guy for her to be crying.

“It’s okay, Brit” I soothed.

I saw Dean was a little concerned too and he gave me a look. I just shook my head. “Come on” I led her to the truck. “I’m going to take her back to the motel” I said to Dean. “I’ll follow you” he nodded.

~~

We got back to the motel and as I sat beside Brit, she pretty much just cried herself to sleep. Then I sighed, standing up and Dean walked in with two soda cans from the vending machine. He handed me one. “Is she alright?” he asked.

“She will be…but your brother’s an idiot” I smiled sarcastically.

“My brother?”

“Yes. Your brother. Don’t get me wrong, I love Sam and he deserves to be happy but with Madison?”

“Who do you suggest then? Because Sam rarely does stuff like this” he gave me a hard look.

“It wouldn’t have to rare, if he would just realize what’s in front of him” I gave him my own hard look and I pointed to Brit. He knew what I was getting at.

“You’re kidding”

“No. I’m not kidding”

“Sammy thought she had no interest in him so he just stopped trying a long time ago”

“Well then he’s just as dense as you are” I folded my arms.

“I am not dense”

“Yeah ya are. All these months of traveling together and I’ve been trying to tell you that I had no interest in you and…”

“Well I cant be that dense because I was obviously right”

I just narrowed my eyes at him. He got me there. I fell into my own trap I set up. “Come on…I don’t want to fight with you…especially after before” he offered a smile.

I sighed, as I lightened up a little. But I didn’t respond, I just went to the bed where Brit was laying and I laid beside her, falling asleep.

~

I woke up to banging…that wasn’t supposed to sound sexual…but Dean shot up to answer the door as I sat up slowly and Sam came rushing in. “She turned” he said, out of breath.

“What?” Dean asked.

“I couldn’t grab her in time”

“We’ll find her, Sammy” Dean promised and then looked at me.

“Go on, I’ll wake Brit and we’ll meet you outside” I said and he nodded. They both left. I sat back down and started to shake Brit. “Hey B…wake up. Come on champ” I said and lifted her to her feet.

“No, you go” she mumbled and tried to fall back onto the bed.

“I wont let you go into some deep depression, now lets go” I said and threw her over my shoulder.

I walked outside with her. “Sammy, I don’t think we’ve got a choice here anymore” Dean said as they were at the Impala.

“What?”

“I hate to say it. She’s a sweet girl, but part of her is…”

“Evil?”

“Yeah”

“Yeah, that’s what they say about me, Brittney…even Melissa, Dean. So, us you won’t kill, but her you’re just gonna blow away?” Sam snapped.

Dean looked over at me and his eyes met mine. I noticed Brit was eyeing Sam as he answered his phone. “All right, hold on, Maddie. We’re coming to get you, just stay where you are” he instructed and hung up. He looked at all of us.

Then his eyes lingered on Brit. “Brittney…are you alright?” he asked.

She just scoffed and walked over to the truck. “Yea, now you care” I snapped, sneering at him.

I got over to the truck and I gave Brit a sad face but she just continued to look forward. I started up the truck and we started driving. “I think I started to love him” she spoke.

“B…I don’t think…” She looked at me with tear streaks on her cheeks. “Okay…okay” I said lightly.

The boys picked up Madison and we all got to her apartment. We were in the living room with Dean’s gun that had the silver bullets in it on the table. “I don’t remember anything. I probably killed someone last night, didn’t I” she assumed and looked up at all of us from her seat.

“There’s no way to know yet” I said, sullenly.

“Is there something else we can try to make it go away?”

“We’ll find something. I mean, there’s gotta be some answer, somewhere” Sam said.

“That’s not entirely true. Madison, you deserve to know. We’ve scoured every source. There’s just no cure” Dean informed her.

“Is he right?” Madison looked up at Sam. But, he just turned away.

“I mean, we could lock you up at night, but…when you bust out, and some night you will, someone else dies. I’m sorry. I am”

Then, Madison started crying. “So, I guess that’s all there is to it, then”

“Stop it. Don’t talk like that" Sam pleaded as he turned back around.

“Sam, I don’t wanna hurt anyone else. I don’t wanna hurt you” she said as she took the gun and stood up.

“Put that down...Madison, no”

“Sam…I’m a monster”

“You don’t have to be. We can find a way, all right? I can. I’m gonna save you”

Madison started to cry…and I felt my stomach get into knots. “You tried. I know you tried. But this is all there is left. Help me, Sam. I want you to do it. I want it to be you”

“I can’t”

“I don’t wanna die. I don’t. But I can’t live like this. This is the way you can save me. Please. I’m asking you to save me”

Sam shook his head and then Brit walked over to Sam and carefully took the gun from Madison and then we all walked into the other room and Sam was now crying. “Sam. I’m sorry” Dean said.

“No, you’re right. She’s right”

“Sammy…one of us can do this one…” I started.

“She asked me to”

“You don’t have to” Dean said.

“Yes, I do…”

Then he looked at Brit and she stared up at him as he stared down at her. It was a long moment between them and then he held out his hand and she slowly placed the gun in his hand. “Just wait here” he said to all of us. He looked at all of us and then disappeared into the other room.

It wasn’t fair for Sam…for Brit…especially not for Madison…none of it was fair. We stood there in the suspenseful silence…none of us saying a word. I saw Brit let a few tears slide and I felt myself start to shake and I let two tears slip down my cheeks but I didn’t even try to wipe them away. Sam shouldn’t have to be put through this…he already feels like everyone he gets close to really does get hurt…and this just isn’t helping anything. Then we all jumped at the sound of the gun shot…I saw Dean let one tear fall…and then…the silence wasn’t suspenseful…it was dead…a dead silence.
♠ ♠ ♠
<<333