Believe Me I'm Lying

31

“Don’t worry she’ll like you” he reassured me as we were sat in the café he'd agreed to meet his mom in.

“Jonathan sweetie. I’ve missed you” he cringed as his mom walked over to us.

Her hair was dark brown and naturally wavy, her eyes were bright blue, she wore blue jeans with a plain red tee and I could instantly see the fact he looked a lot like her.

“Mom quiet I don’t want everyone to hear” he replied standing up and kissing her cheek as he hugged her.

“Mom this is Tally” he said and I stood up and she pulled me into a hug and I heard Jonathan laugh.

“Mom you should warn people your hugging them not everyone likes that” Jonathan said and she looked at me worried she might have offended me.

“It’s fine” I laughed as we sat down.

“I’ve heard a lot about you dear. Jonathan talks about you all the time” she smiled and I looked at him before smiling.

“Well I’ve heard a lot about you too” I replied as we ordered food.

“So your only 19, such a young girl. I hope my sons not teaching you bad habits” she said as she laughed and Jonathan shook his head.

“You’re the tour managers assistant aren’t you?” she asked and I nodded, “How did you get such a good job at your age?” she asked.

“I just got lucky” I replied smiling not wanting to tell her how I exactly got my job because I didn't want her to think badly of me.

“Whatever Tal! She snuck on a bus with Metro Station and had to help them out when they broke down and they hired her after that” Jonathan cut in and I looked at him shocked.

“Trust me dear that’s nothing compared to what he used to get up to at your age. At least you got a job out of it he just normally got in trouble” she replied as we started to eat.

She was really nice and Jonathan was a lot like her. He was embarrassed by how close he was with his mom but I thought it was really cute, I wish I was that close with my mom.

The last time I spoke to her she was throwing me out the house, my dad moved to California when I was 5 and my brother was 10 and we grew up in Texas so we never saw him.

He occasionally rang to see how I was but my brother gave up on him. Mom was okay until about 3 years ago when her boyfriend moved in, he used to beat Max my brother up.

I would come home to find Max hurt and I’d have to get him to hospital when mom found out she took her boyfriends side and Max left.

He tried to get me to go with him but I stayed scared he’d hit mom if no one was around.

They argued all the time and I came home one day to find mom on the floor passed out covered in bruises, the paramedics came round and said she’d been knocked out and she told them she fell.

By the time they left her boyfriend was home and he got angry, she told me I was stupid to call them and that I should of left her.

When I told her I was worried that it wasn’t right for him to hit her she threw me out the house, that was 2 years ago and I’ve not spoken to her since.

We’ve tried but they moved and she changed numbers, the last thing she said to me was ‘I’m not your mom your mistaken, I’ve never had children. I don’t even know you’.

Max said she didn’t mean it but she did, we tried everything but as he said sometimes people don’t want help. I moved in with Max and we still live together.

I owe him so much he’s been my big brother and like a dad, he jokes that he’s a single parent to me.

The only other family we have are gran and pappy but they’re too old to look after us so we manage on our own.

We sat talking and I was off as usual in a dream world half the time but Jonathan was used to me by now and he knew what I was like.

Jonathan walked off to pay “I hope you don’t think I’m strange asking to meet you but he’s never had many girl friends” his mom said.

“I’m not his girlfriend” I corrected her smiling, I was but we'd both agreed not to tell anyone yet.

“No I meant girls as friends. Don’t let that attitude fool you he’s a very sensitive boy underneath” she smiled touching my hand.

I nodded “I know, there’s not many people like him. He’s very nice, you obviously did a great job with him” I said an she beamed at me.

“Thank you. He cares about you an awful lot” she replied.

“I know I’m a lucky girl” I smiled as he walked back over and we left.

“Well it was nice to see you mom, I’ll talk to you later. I’ll see you in a couple of weeks when I’m home for a few days. Look after yourself and tell everyone I say hi” he said kissing her cheek and hugging her.

“Will do, it was really nice to meet you Tally and he’ll have to bring you home with him when he comes” she said hugging me.

“You too and I guess I’ll see you soon then” I laughed as we all left, she walked off towards her car and we both walked back down the street to where the buses were.

“See I told you she’d like you” he whispered as he put his arm round my shoulders.