Believe Me I'm Lying

34

“So you’re from the band she’s working with?” Max asked.

“Yeah, she’s in charge of us.”

“Has she been behaving?” asked Max.

“Yeah, she’s one of the best behaved. She barely ever goes out and she’s always doing her work” Jonathan replied.

“That’s what I like to hear!” shouted Max so I could hear him in the kitchen.

“Has dad rung since I’ve been away?” I asked as I walked in and sat down between them.

“No, Megan I wish you wouldn’t get your hopes up on him ringing you know he never does” Max stated and i nodded.

“I don’t get my hopes up, it’s just nice to know he’s still alive sometimes” I replied as he rolled his eyes.

“You’ll have to go see gran and pappy while you’re here, they miss you and they’ll want to meet Jonathan too” Max informed and I nodded.

“I was thinking we could go tomorrow?” I asked and he nodded. I got up to go check on dinner.

I heard Max talking quietly and crept towards the door so I could hear him.

“Look I’m not going to get much of a chance to really get to know you, but she doesn’t bring just anyone home with her. She’s a young girl and she’s had a tough time so if you think you can mess her around you’ve got another thing coming. She’s my little sister and she means the world to me so if you hurt her I will actually make your life hell like you can’t imagine. She’ll kick up a fuss about you staying in her room tonight and that’s okay but we have a strictly no sex policy in this household so you better respect that and her otherwise your sleeping in the yard. Are we clear?” I heard Max whisper.

“Yeah completely. I respect her and I’d never hurt her” Jonathan replied and i recognized a tone of fear in his voice.

“Good. Now a few questions. Have you or do you drink?” Max asked.

“Yes.”

“Have you or do you smoke?” he asked again.

“I tried it once when I was 18 and never again” Jonathan admitted.

“Good and have you or do you take drugs?”

“No never.”

“Well that’s good, one more. Have you or do you listen to country music?” asked Max and I tried not to laugh as Jonathan replied.

“Yes on a regular basis” Jonathan said and I smiled.

“Well Jonathan it looks like we’re going to get on just fine” my brother stated.

I tried not to laugh as I walked in to the lounge with pizzas “I’ve not been back a day and I’m already making your dinner” I joked putting them down.