‹ Prequel: Twist of a Bounty

The Saints Are Coming

Trust

Both Connor and Murphy had a beer in hand, Roisin, a cigarette. Over the past couple of months, Roisin had become a good friend of theirs. They saw her for her beauty, inside and out, her smarts and everything in between. Which was why it was so hard to lie to her about what they’ve been doing.

Roisin was a smart woman – she was catching on quickly. If they told her she could be okay, or she could never want to see them again. They had to hide their bags, make excuses for the excessive amounts of cash they received. Little did Roisin know that the boys lost their jobs as Bounty Hunters.

“Are ya boys okay?”Roisin broke the silence after a few minutes.

“Us? ‘Course.”Connor put on a smile.

“What makes ya ask?”Murphy asked.

“Yer just,”She sighed in frustration and stomped her cigarette out in the ashtray.”Yer just different. When was the last time we went out and had nothin’ to say? And don’t think I’ve forgotten about yer arm, Connor.”

What was there to say? Roisin, we’re the so called Saints? Connor and Murphy laughed nervously. They didn’t know how to confront the subject.

“Alright,”Connor rolled back his sleeve, revealing a slightly bloody ace bandage.

Roisin’s face fell at the sight. She didn’t like blood in person. She didn’t even care for violence if she could avoid it.

“Our last bounty was rough,”Murphy put his head down – another lie.”Tony Ramirez. We weren’t expectin’ it –“

Murphy stood, cutting Connor off unexpectedly. He had had enough. He stomped his beer down on the table and stated, “It’s not true.”

“What?”Connor laughed.”’Course it’s –“

“No.”He growled.”It’s not true. I’m done lyin’ to her.”

“What’s goin’ on, boys?”She seemed startled by the sudden outburst.

Connor stood and let an apprehensive smile come to his lips. They knew this was it, but was it the right time? She had enough on her plate already.

“We’ll be right back, Rose.”Murphy smiled.

“Ya gotta trust us.”Connor stated softly.

It was the wrong time. They could feel it.

Connor and Murphy slipped to a closet and dug around for a few seconds. Maybe it was something simple. I was nervous for one and slightly fearful. Please, just let the big secret be something easy. I wouldn’t be able to handle anything big. Not now. Connor and Murphy pulled away from the gaping closet, large black duffle bags hanging from their hands.

A ski mask was gently held in the other. Okay, so maybe they rob banks for a living. So what? They threw down the masks and plopped their bags up on the table. UI looked up at them with widened eyes. What did I get myself into?

“Do ya trust us, Rose?”Connor’s voice held nothing but a serious tone.

“I –I,”I took in a deep breath and nodded.”Yer just scarin’ me to hell.”

“Rose, would we ever hurt ya?”Murphy voice softened.

I swallowed hard and bit my bottom lip. If it came down to it, would they?

“Of, course not.”I choked.

Connor and Murphy looked to eachother and nodded. They each grabbed the zippers to their bag and slowly, opened them.