‹ Prequel: Twist of a Bounty

The Saints Are Coming

Do Ya Like Coffee?

Smecker stepped through the shattered glass and growled lowly. His hands were pressed to his hips, an angered look tight in his face.

“It’s all connected. But why?!”He turned toward Dolly, Duffy and Greenly and stomped towards them.”This is ridiculous!”

They flinched at his outburst, unsure of what to say.

“Well, we know they’re in the Italian mob.”Dolly stated.

“They’re all Lorenzo’s men.”He huffed.”A few months ago a young man named James D’Amato is shot dead. We suspect Lorenzo because of their association with eachother. Two people write on the case, get closer than us, Boston’s supposed finest, and one is dead. The other almost killed. Now his men are dropping dead and there’s no evidence as to why!”

He breathed in deep, trying to calm himself.

“The same slugs are used each time. It’s always ritualistic. QWhy are they making a chase?! I hate cold cases!”He slammed open the door and stepped out.”Call me when we get a lead!”

I opened my eyes quickly, finding Connor and Murphy nowhere in sight. I sat upin Murphy’s bed and searched down the one room apartment. Where were they? I got out of bed and rolled to my feet. I walked over to the table and grabbed at a cigarette pack. There was one left. I searched the table and found one of their scratchy handwriting on an old pizza box. After lighting the last cigarette, I tried, to the best of my ability, to read their messy writing.

Rose-

Went out for coffee, so don’t worry. We’ll bring you back one. The last cigarette is yours –


I rolled my eyes as smoke crawled out of my nose. I planned on taking it anyway, obviously. I was going to buy us all a pack later.

- but I’m sure your smoking it as you read. See you in a bit lass. :)

- Connor & Murphy


A smile crawled onto my face at the smiley at the end. Minutes went by and as my cigarette burned down to the filter I pushed it out in the ashtray.

“Where are ya boys?”I needed to go home and stop in at work.

With the new information I had on Lorenzo, I knew it would be like a tack in the ass to him. I needed to get in contact with Detective Smecker and let him in on the news. I just need to make sure the boys are safe and don’t plan on going back out to relieve the city of peons. I sat back on Murphy’s bed and yawned. I just wanted five more minutes of sleep.

Connor and Murphy walked down the street, coffee in their hands. It was getting cooler out to the point where sweatshirts were needed. They kept silent for a few moments, enjoying the calmness of the quiet streets. They knew they needed to go out again and rid Lorenzo of some more men – they just needed to pinpoint an exact location.

“Maybe we should get in touch with that Rocco fella again.”Connor said.

“Aye.”Murphy agreed.”Maybe he can find out a location fer us. We’ll get rid of more of his guys.”

“Rose has his number. But Murph,”Connor sighed.

Murphy looked up at him as they approached their apartment. He knew exactly what his brother meant. They couldn’t tell Roisin where they were going. It would only make her worry.

“I know.”He moaned.”But how are we supposed to get the number without her findin’ out?”

“I’ve got me an idea.”Connor stated.

I awoke to the creamy smell of coffee. I slowly opened my eyes, finding the large cup next to the mattress. Slowly, a tired smile came to my face and I stretched. What time was it? Soft, whispering voices came from the table and I looked over, finding the boys. They were hunched over the table, talking almost secretively. I sat up in bed Indian style and gripped my steaming cup. I listened in as best as I could to their conversation.

“Can find anythin’. . .”Connor whispered.

“Be at . . . 11 o’ clock . . .”Who was that?

“To find . . .”That was Murphy.

I sipped from my drink and tried to peek over Connor to see who else was here. But yet, I saw no one.

“Thanks Roc . . .”I leaned forward, but it was no use.

“What are ya doin’?”I must have startled them, because they looked over quickly.

“How long have ya been up?”Murphy’s hand moved over the table slowly, as if he didn’t want me to notice.

“Fer ‘bout two minutes. What are ya boys schemin’ over there?”I stood and made my way to the table.

“Jus’ talkin’.”Connor smiled.

“Was Rocco here?”I asked.

“Rocco?”I think the boys caught on to the disbelief in my face.

“I think yer coffee was spiked.”Murphy smirked.

“Alright. Well, I’m gonna head home and shower. I’m goin’ to stop in at work and figure things out. The information we got puts it all in the bag.”I smiled.”Oh, and I’m gonna call Smecker and let him know ‘bout Lorenzo.”

Connor opened his mouth to speak, but shut it quickly. I grabbed my cell and smiled.

“I’ll be seein’ ya boys.”I waved.”Thanks fer the coffee.”

I stepped to the door but stopped at the mention of my name. I turned and watched as Connor reached into his pocket.

“Cigarettes!”I caught them in mid air and smiled.

“Thanks lad.”I stepped out the door and started my way home.

Smecker leaned over his desk, going over the little evidence he had gotten from hyis cases. He was growing frustrated and cigarettes didn’t help anymore.

“How can amateurs,”He sighed.

Amateurs or not, they were scaving away from the police no problem. But that was the problem. They kept getting away without a trace. Or was it that he just believed in what they were doing? These men weren’t killing innocent bystanders – they were killing what Boston feared the most. Smecker brushed back his hair and sat back in his chair.

He knew who these two men were, but he didn’t think they deserved to be locked up. No, he believed in what they were doing, that’s why he couldn’t find them. He couldn’t live with himself for turning them in. Detetcive Smecker was pulled from his thoughts as his phone rang. He picjked up, almost annoyed at the fact that this person was interrupting his convincing thoughts.

“Hello?”He took a pull from his dying cigarette.

“Detective Smecker? It’s Roisin O’Garen.”She stated.

“The target.”He smirked.

“Yeah.”She huffed.”We need to talk. Do ya like coffee?”

The corners of his lips pulled up into a smirk. It was like Roisin was a godsend.

“I love coffee.”He said.