Sequel: A Truth Untold
Status: Active

Look at Me Through Those Golden Eyes

Chapter 26

Leah’s POV

It was hours since Seth jumped out of my car. I groaned internally and hit my head against the kitchen door frame.

“Leah? What’s wrong dear? Where’s Seth?” Mum asked, seeing my somnolent expression. She was drying dishes by hand. I knew I should go help her, but I was not in the mood after Seth’s outbreak.

“Nothing! Nothing’s wrong.” I said quickly. I cursed myself silently, wondering why I had to be so damn obvious. Mum would know I was lying. I knew I should have continued drama class through high school…

“Leah.” Mum cautioned, her wise face drawn in a serious expression.

“He went to find Eliza.” I sighed, giving in to her. I could be such a push over. Thanks Jet. Thanks a lot, for making me go all soft.

“What? Leah how could you let him? Don’t you know what the elders and Tyra will say?” Mum screeched. She dropped a fork she had been drying, on the ground, making a loud clatter against the tiles and turned to looked at me with startled eyes.

“Mum,” I said, grabbing her arm gently and dragging her to a seat, “It’s not like I could have stopped him. He picked up the scent and jumped out of the car. And besides, I don’t care what Tyra and the elders think, and neither will Seth.” Mum sighed, dropping her head into her hands. I let her stay in that position for a while, and I was rewarded. Slowly she lifted her head up, blinking her eyes open and shut a few times before looking back at me.

“Go find them. Bring them here. You’re right. We don’t have to listen to Tyra, and the elders have got this all wrong. They don’t have a problem with Eliza herself, their egos are to blame. I smiled a broad grin. I knew I could trust my mum to pull through, we weren’t Clearwaters for nothing.

I bolted through the front door, but before shifted, I picked up scent. No, two scents. Seth’s scent, and… Eliza’s? Seth found her? They’re together?

“Seth?” I called, standing at the edge of the forest.

“Leah!” But it wasn’t Seth who replied, it was Eliza. My favourite vampire.

“Eli!” I felt stone cold arms wrap around my torso, lifting me off the ground in a crushing hug.

“Thank you for sticking up for me.” She whispered. I pulled back from the hug and smiled at her. I could have this girl in the family. I would be happy. Ecstatic, even, if she became my sister in law, not that I didn’t already think of her as my sister anyway. She was perfect for Seth, my little brother. I could see them together forever. I tried to imagine what they would look like in, maybe, the 22nd century, all in high tech space suits… Enough of the day dreaming Leah, focus. There are more pressing issues to deal with. I smiled at Eliza again, before she was pulled off me by none other than my dear little brother. Seth looked happier than he had in a long time. I noticed the look in his eyes when he held Eliza. I smirked.

“So, what were you two up to?”

Eliza’s POV

We all walked back into their house. Sue sat on one of the kitchen chairs, her eyes shut.

“Sue,” I said softly, “Thank you.” She opened her eyes and looked at me, grinning, before standing and pulling me into a tight, motherly hug.

“Any time, dear. I make sure my family is looked after, and I already consider you as my daughter.” I hugged her tighter, careful not to crush her human figure. It was nice to be accepted, to be loved, not in the way Seth loved me, but by someone I could think of as a mother. Not the fiery, binding, passionate, undying love, as with Seth, but the warm, compassionate love of a parent.

“Do you really? You don’t care that I am different? That I am not human?” I said quietly. Sue looked up at me, for I was a fair bit taller, and smiled gently.

“Of course Eliza. It would be hypocritical for me to say that I couldn’t care for you if you were different. My own children aren’t human, yet I still love them, as I love you.” I hugged her again.

Leah and Seth joined in, adding their warm bodies to the group hug. The family group hug.

Leah and Sue pulled away, leaving Seth and I in a tender embrace. I lifted my head from his searing chest and looked into his eyes. I felt, as I imagined it to feel, as if I was imprinting. I felt like I could understand Seth’s love for me, for it was reflected in his eyes.

“I’m glad you’re back, Eli.” He said tucking a strand of my golden hair behind my ear.

“I’m glad to be back.” I said back, before gently pecking his lips, reviving the sparks between us from the clearing.

I couldn’t tell you how long we held that position, not caring about anything other than the shape shifter boy in my arms. Suddenly, I heard a cough, from behind me, jerking me back to reality. Leah.

“I’m glad you’re back too, Eli, Seth here has been an absolute pain in the a-“

“Language Leah.” Sue cut in. We all laughed, enjoying our family camaraderie.

“What the hell is going on here?” We all turned, startled by the sound of an angry voice. Standing in a tall, hostile position in the open doorway was Tyra. Behind her, Billy Black, Old Quil Ateara, and the rest of the wolf pack.

None of them looking too happy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment? Subscribe? Check out my new original? Mansions to Maths Class