A Cherry Sunset

Messages + Plans

I slept for thirteen hours straight. Oliver called me a few times but I was too passed out to even hear my phone ring. After finally dragging myself out of bed, I took a steaming hot, hour long shower and dutifully got dressed to go into work.

On the cab ride to Skeleanimals Headquarters, I texted Oliver back. He didn’t respond and I wondered what time it was over in London. It surprisingly only took a few moments to get through traffic. I paid the cabbie and entered the tall building with my shoulders hunched.

The front desk clerk greeted me and I waved to her politely as I headed straight for the elevators. Three flights up and two minutes later, I was sitting at my desk tapping a pen on it.

“The Halestorm is back!” I smiled and swiveled my chair around. “We missed you.” The shaggy brown haired boy grinned as he leaned over the wall of my cubicle.

“Hey Jason.” I greeted and stood up to hug him. Jason was another close co-worker I enjoyed touring with. “How has work been?”

“Eh, I had a few photo shoots, but otherwise it’s been pretty boring. How was Warped?” He smirked and I guessed Victoria had already blurted out my personal information.

I shrugged nonchalantly. “Uneventful.” Jason chuckled as I averted my eyes to my computer screen.

“Really?” His tone was smug as I sat back down. “So all of these personal messages from a Mr. Oliver Sykes are mistakenly lying on your desk?”

“Oliver called?” My eyes widened as I turned back to him. He laughed as I snatched the small stack of post-it notes from him.

“Does that mean it’s really happened? Oliver’s a human and you’ve fallen in love with him? Jesus, it feels like the whole worlds on a tilt.” Jason put his hands out as if he’d lost balance.

I rolled my eyes. “Stop being dramatic. I’m not in love with him.”

“Riiight.” He sarcastically stretched out the vowel as he sat down on top of my desk. “Is that goofy smile just stuck on your face or does he make you feel funny inside too?” I glared but didn’t get to respond. My boss was calling my name and gesturing for me to come into his office. Jason started singing that ridiculous childish rhyme I was getting used to as I walked off so I shot a bird at him behind my back.

“Emily! It’s so great to see you.” My boss sat behind his big desk and grinned wide as I closed the door behind me.

“It’s great to be back, Mr. Harmon.” I smiled back as I took a seat.

“I suspect everything went as planned?” He raised his eyebrows and I swallowed.

“It went great.” I nodded. “We sold more than last year.” I know because I checked the books. Twice.

“So I noticed. You and Victoria make a very good team.” He shuffled through papers on his desk.

“Yes, we do.” I agreed and sighed with relief. It was quiet for a few minutes as he read something.

“Alright then. It looks like you’re all clear.” He looked up and smiled. “You’ll get the next six weeks off to recuperate, like usual. Any questions?”

“Nope.” I stood up and leaned over to shake his hand.

“Great, Cheryl will call you a couple days before you’re supposed to come in, just to remind you. Get some rest.” He added as I left his office.

I ran a hand over my face and wondered just how ragged I looked from tour. Jason was still sitting on my desk when I got back. I sat back in my chair and then realized why he was so quiet.

“Give me those!” I reached for the papers but he pulled them from my reach at the last second. “The name says Emily Hale not Jason Richards!”

“Emily I miss you. Em, call me back. This one I can’t read. Is that … Emmeh? What the hell is Emmeh?”

“It’s Emmy, douche.” He raised an eyebrow and I rolled my eyes. “He has an accent. Jackie was probably picking on it when she wrote that.” I reached for the messages again and this time he let me have them.

“So you scored a man with an accent. Nice going.” He winked and made a clicking noise with his mouth.

“Alright, I’m going home. Do try going back to work.” I playfully glared and pushed him off my desk.

“Drinks? Tomorrow night? Before you run off to Cali for a month.”

“Text me details and maybe I’ll show up.” I smirked as I picked up my bag and coat.

“You know you can’t resist!” Jason yelled as I walked away. I blushed and kept my back to him. “Bye Emmeh!”

I clutched the papers in my hand and bit my bottom lip.

I missed Oliver. I didn’t want to admit it out loud, but I missed him more than I was letting on. I waited, though it was excruciating, until I got in a cab ride again for the ride home to call. He didn’t answer and I sighed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Emmy.
so updates should start coming regularly now. hopefully. maybe like once a week? I dunno still ... this chapter is booorrrring, but Emmy's outfit is cute. I need some Oliver action : ) I mean, look at that smile! it's just too adorable!
xooxEmber