Land of a Million Stars

and maybe then you'll hear the words i been singing

I slept at the lake that night, one the last I’d ever be on this wonderful planet I called home. Quinn was there when I woke, sitting a few feet away. He’d draped a blanket over my sleeping form, which I thought funny since I couldn’t feel anything anyway.

Still, I pulled the blanket around my shoulders and moved so I sat next to him. There was a swan on the lake, swimming aimlessly. It ruffled its feathers.

“Swans were my favorite type of bird,” I said.

“Really?”

“Yeah. They were so elegant and pure. Like beautiful geese.”

“I always liked peacocks. They were so flashy and pretty, always putting on a show. It always seemed like they were hiding behind masks, just like people.”

We were quiet again.

“It’s time, Quinn,” I whispered. Quinn nodded. We didn’t look at each other. I, for fear I’d start crying. I didn’t know his motives. Quinn took my hand and squeezed.

“I love you,” he said softly. I started to cry. I moved and flung my arms around his neck, knocking us both over. I cried into his chest and he held me.

“I don’t want to go,” I said, “I don’t want to leave you.”

“I don’t want you to go,” he said into my hair. I lifted my head and looked into his green eyes. They held so much emotion that it was a wonder they didn’t explode.

“One more time,” I said. Quinn knew what I meant. We made love for the second and last time and when it was over, we dressed again and he walked me out into the water. Since we were holding hands, the lake soaked and chilled me to the bone. I knew Quinn felt the same.

Quinn turned to me and took my face in his hands. “Ella,” he whispered. “I love you. I love you more than I’ll ever love anyone. There will never be another girl like you and no one can ever replace you. I’ll try to move on El, I will. I’ll meet more girls but they will never, not ever, mean as much to me as you do and as you will always.” He took my hand and placed it over his heart. “This heart, it belongs to you, forever and always. You’ll always be there.” He pulled me close and kissed me. It was a kiss to end all kisses.

“I’m going to miss you,” I whispered. I kissed him lightly and walked farther out into the water. Victoria appeared.

“Hello Ella,” she said.

“I’m ready. I’ve accepted everything, Victoria. My death, my journey to the other side, and leaving everyone. I’ve accepted it and I’m ready.”

Victoria smiled. “You are ready. Come,” she said, holding out her hand. “You’re eagerly awaited in heaven.”

I grasped her hand and with one last look at Quinn, who waved, I vanished.
♠ ♠ ♠
one. more. chapter.
D: