Status: Active and updates will be regular

Aerobics

Ruby confess

I hurried after Ruby to find her around the corner of the school sobbing. I looked at her, almost staring at what she held in her hand. I snapped to realization at another sob and grabbed it out of her hand before she raised it to her mouth.
“What are you doing?” I yelled at her.
“I… I… I don’t know… it’s just when my mum left… I started… it calms me… why?” Ruby said between snuffles. She took out a lighter and a cigarette packet from behind her. I snatched them away.
“We’ve got to go back inside and see if we’ve won… anything. Then we have to talk, with Julia.” I said sternly, but as the same time I wiped away her tears and the dribbled mascara. When we looked present able we entered again.
“Third place, Louize and Mara!” the headmaster yelled. Louize jumped onstage and grabbed the trophy. While Mara, with tears in her eyes refused to move. She wasn’t pleased with what they won.

“Second place mark and Tommy.” They received the silver trophy.
“And at first place…” the headmaster started. Julia glanced at us. I was crossing my fingers but I basically I already guessed we had won. Ruby had that knowing glint in her eye, apart from what had happened outside. ‘Jane and Ruby!” the headmaster cried.

We were on stage in a split second, beaming. I promise when we stood still I could fell a slight wind, but then it disappeared. Ruby grabbed the golden trophy screaming with joy. II did the same as I grabbed the two scholarships. But I couldn’t cover up all the worry. Ruby didn’t seem to think that smoking was such a bad thing. She had been totally against it before, but now…

We drove home glowing with happiness. Julia was quiet.
“Your okay with us going… right?” I asked gently, but curious. Ruby stopped laughing.
“I’m happy for you. It’s just… the bills and money. It’s all too much and still I don’t have a job, except for the cleaning job I do twice a week. I may have to sell the house, find an apartment somewhere…” Julia went on.
“NO!” Ruby and I chorused, making her jump.
“Quieten down you lot, I’m driving.” She announced.
“Well… could get a job…” Ruby suggested.
“Me too” I added. “It would be hard working and school. But I can juggle. We should all chip in, but not Ruby, we have to solve her problem first…”
“What problem?” Julia asked.
“I confess!” Ruby said, starting tears again. “After my mum left I was so stressed. I cried myself to sleep every night. I remembered people smoke to forget things and…”
“You didn’t…” Julia said, looking worried now.
“I’m sorry, so sorry.” Ruby wailed into my shoulder.
“Well that settles it then, you’re not going to aerobics school. You can stay here until you sort yourself out; give your scholarship up for an anti-smoking school.” Julia said.
“How can you do this?” I started to say through my silent tears. “How can you do this to us, to me?”
“Easily,” Julia replied stonily, with a blank face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments or criticism???