The Matchmaker

It's All Over

I ran in knowing I was late holding onto a bag with my uniform. "Late," Gabe said without looking up from whatever he was doing.

I was running over to the bathroom and yelled back, "I have an excuse." I quickly put the uniform on and then ran to the back and threw my bag in the corner. I walked over to Chanel and Danicka, "do either of you want t take my tables."

"What's in it for us," Chanel said putting her hand on her hip in a cliche form of attitude.

I rolled my eyes at her, "umm ten dollars and you get extra tips."

"Okay," Danicka said excited.

"Wait lets split her tables," Chanel said.

"Okay well if you split it, then only five dollars for each of you," I said extending my hand that held two fives in it. They took it and smiled and I just found a place in the back to sit and listen to my ipod. I had the old outdated first edition Ipod and I also didn't have the little headphones that always fall out of my ears. Instead I had big clunky head phones, you know the ones that go around your head like earmuffs. I also enjoyed to play my music at the highest volume, to tune out everything around me.

After about an hour, someone started tapping on my shoulder. I looked up and Gabe was saying something, but I couldn't for the life of me make out what it was. I turned down the volume and looked up, "what?"

"Why aren't you working," he said.

"Oh I got it covered boss," I said gesturing to Chanel running my station at the moment.

"So you gave Chanel double work," he said giving me an expression of sheer disappointment, but I don't know what he expects from me.

"No," I said with a slight giggle, "Gabe I am much smarter than that, I split the extra work between Chanel and Danicka."

He rolled his eyes and mumbled, "you're hopeless." I smiled because ruining his life is something I take pride in. I just shrugged as he continued to stand right in front of me without saying a word. I was about to turn my volume up when Danicka came over to me.

"You need to go to table number 6," she said.

"What am I paying you for." I said with my hands up in a what pose.

"The same thing I'm supposed to be paying you for," Gabe said angrily. I rolled my eyes and looked toward Danicka for an explanation.

"He specifically asked for the girl who is brutally honest and ," she said. I just shrugged and she continued, "he might as well have said the annoying one." I gave her an angry look and she laughed a little bit.

I looked out over the counter to see who was at the seat, Danicka was right why would anyone ask for me. When I saw who it was I just about dropped to the floor as fast as I could. I crawled over to where they were and said, "you have to tell him I left early."

She shrugged and Gabe shook his head and they walked away to their posts. "I don't get her, he's totally hot," she said as they both walked away. I stuck my tongue out angrily, but no one even saw.

About three minutes later Danicka came back, "the deed is done, now can you help me with something real quick." I nodded and she helped me up real quick. I started walking back to the kitchen area and she said, "now over here." I gave here a questioning look as she grabbed my arm and began pulling me toward the where the customers were.

"Where are we going," I said.

"Sorry Bre, his thirty dollars was more convincing than your five," she said and I pressed my heels to the ground so that I wouldn't move, but I was no use. He knows why else would he be here, why else would he pay to talk to me. Anthony Haines knows that I am the matchmaker and my secret is ruined.

She pushed me out in front of his table, and maybe there was the slightest chance that I could act my way out of this. "Wow thirty dollars to get my friend to trick me out of me break, you must really like me superstar," I said in the same way I normally talked to him.

"Don't play with me I know," Anthony said giving me a look and in return I gave him one of confusion. "I know it's you."

"Yeah I know it's me, I am standing right here who else would I be," I said totally confused.

"Don't play dumb it all makes sense, you gave me advice and you specifically told me to back off, " he said and I still kept confused face. I was trying so hard not to let a smirk out. "I just never thought it would be you," he said. This hit me, but I can't let that show. Of course he didn't think, because I'm not some spectacular girl, I'm certainly not the perfection he thought I was and let's face it I'm just normal.

"I'm not playing dumb," I said, " you really lost me."

"You are Breanna Fletcher, period 3 AP Chemistry, Allison's best friend and you're also the matchmaker," he said.

I began laughing really hard and then said, "yes, yes, yes and definitely no." I stopped my laughter looked at his serious face and just let it out again, "you're serious, you're actually serious." I was lying through my teeth, I was lying like I have never lied before.

Unfortunately though he was not in anyway buying it. He rose his eyebrow and reached his hand in my apron pocket and found what he was looking for almost instantaneously. He held the phone in his hand, why did I have that phone on me, I am so dumb. "Excuse me," I said, "ever heard of privacy."

"I knew it," he said holding it open, "this is when I called you today and Allison completely gave you away."

I grabbed the phone and sighed angrily, "this is what I get for trying to help people." I stormed off angrily and walked behind the counter to grab my bag. I started to walk out and stopped where Gabe was, "if you like me at all you will make sure that ass doesn't follow me out."

I wanted to punch something so bad, I needed to yell, I didn't even know where I was going. I was supposed to get a ride home with Chanel, but our shift isn't even close to over. I was just mad and I needed to get away from this place, Karly only lived about six bocks away. I could walk, but it was dark, oh who cares.

"Breanna wait up," I heard a voice behind me.

"Don't follow me, I will run, I don't want to talk," I said angrily. I was so furious, a small part of me wanted to cry. I hate him, I hate him so much. I just began to take off running why would I stay there and wait to see if he would follow. I'm just giving him absolutely no chance to catch up.