Status: Hiatus... sorry guys. :/

Mythology

New York Style Cheesecake.

“Quinn,” I said with annoyance. “We don’t have any money. We can’t go into a restaurant and eat with no money, because then we wouldn’t be able to pay them for the food.”

My sister and I have been traveling for about five days, taking about eight hours of each day to sleep. We came from the lovely Wyoming and entered Washington about seven hours ago. We usually had amazing stamina, but after running for five days, living off the land as wolves (yes, just like wolves—eating animals and pooping in plain sight), and getting not so much sleep every night, things have been getting a bit slower.

It was dark out. Very dark. I didn’t know the time, but I knew that it was past midnight; I didn’t know if it was five, or three, or what.

Quinn looked over her shoulder at me with a smirk on her face.

“Remember when dad told us to put aside some clothes in case of an emergency?” she asked me, her tangled hair high in a ponytail.

I nodded; it didn’t seem like that long ago.

Our dad approached about fourteen months ago and told us to put some small necessities in a place we could take them from easily. At the time, Quinn and I had no idea why he wanted us to do it, but we did it anyways. Thank god we did.

Quinn grabbed my hand and pulled me into a little café. There was maybe one waitress, one cook, and two people hanging around and talking.

“Sit wherever you like, ladies,” the girl called out. “I’ll be with you in just a moment.”

Quinn pulled us to a secluded booth near the back of the small café. There were some rips and writing on the cushions, along with gum under the table, but there was no one near us so I didn’t really mind.

I glanced at the clock on the wall. It was two thirty in the morning. No wonder I was so tired.

“I put about three thousand dollars in that emergency pack,” Quinn told me in a hushed whisper. My jaw dropped.

“Then why the hell have we been eating fucking rabbits for the past five days?” I whisper-yelled.

Quinn rolled her eyes. “What if we can’t find this Sam guy? Then what will we do?” she pointed out.

I pouted, crossing my arms over my chest. I hated it when she was right.

“I hate you.” I said.

She smiled and beamed at me. “I love you too!” I snorted and looked away. Just think: a week ago, we were both at home, laughing and watching movies with her mom and our dad. Why couldn’t it still be like that?

The waitress came over. She had dark bags under her eyes and her black hair was fixed up in a messy bun, which reminded me of my hair. I ran a hand through my brown hair and decided to put it up into a ponytail.

“What can I get for you ladies?”

I bit my lip. “Um, can I get a water and a slice of cheesecake? New York style cheesecake, please.”

She nodded before looking at Quinn who ordered just a glass of water and a chocolate chip cookie. If anything, we needed to spike our blood sugar. Living off of raw meat for a few days does horrible things to our appetite.

We sat there, talking about the good times, when the café was rudely interrupted by a group of three boys.

The rowdy boys all looked the same—from the back, they looked like brothers. They had the same tanned skin and dark, long hair. They were all dressed the same too: jean shorts, plain T-shirt, and sneakers. But when they turned, you could distinctly tell they weren’t related because of their facial features.

Almost instantly, they looked our way. I started at my sister but saw them walking towards us out of the corner of my eye.

The boys looked at each other before glancing our way. I tried my best to not notice them. They weren’t exactly my type, but hey, when life gives you cute guys, you’d better fuckin’ flirt!

“Here you are, ladies, one cheesecake, two waters, and a chocolate chip cookie.” The waitress suddenly put the plates and glasses on our table. Either she appeared out of nowhere or I was staring at those guys. Damn.

I picked up my fork and picked a piece of the cheesecake to stuff into my mouth when I heard Quinn laugh.

“Man, you were staring,” she said quietly. I set my fork down, piece of cheesecake on it, and glanced at the guys out of the corner of my eye, who started walking—slowly, might I add—towards us again.

I rolled my eyes. “Shut up, Quinn, and eat your fucking cookie.” She laughed and I made a face. I picked up my fork and was about to bring it to my lips.

And then, someone was sitting next to me.

“Well hello there.”

I turned my head to see one of the boys sitting next to me. I have to admit, he was cute.

“Damn. I just can’t fucking eat in peace, can I?” I said jokingly, setting my fork down, looking at my sister. She held back her laughter the best she could (which wasn’t so great).

The boy’s smirk fell off his face. “Oh, I’m sorry—”

“God, Quil, what a kiss-ass!”

“Quil” looked over at the two boys who were standing. “What the hell, man? I was just being nice.”

I shook my head and rolled my eyes. Here we go again. Quinn and I had gotten lots of attention from boys in Wyoming, but none were as cute or good-natured as these ones.

Quinn slid down her seat. She moved her cookie and water over, then patted next to her. “Come join us. Don’t worry about her. She can be a bitch and have a temper sometimes, but she’s usually pretty nice. Just let her eat her cheesecake and she’ll be social.”

“Fuck you,” I muttered, finally taking a bite of my cheesecake. Yes. Deliciousness.

The one of the boys slid in next to Quinn. I have to say, he was probably the cutest out of all the boys.

“Hey.” He gave a half nod, a smirk on his lips. “I’m Jacob.”

I ignored him, eating my cheesecake.

“Embry, trade me spots.” Quil said.

“Am I that scary?” I said with a mouthful of cheesecake. I glared at Quinn. “I’m not as big of a bitch as my sister says I am. I promise.”

“See-food!” Quinn announced, pointing at me. I took my half-chewed cheesecake, stuck it on the tip of my tongue, and pointed my tongue out at Quinn.

“Ew,” she squealed.

Quil got up and Embry sat down in his spot.

“I’m Quil, as you probably already know,” he said, looking at me before glancing at my sister.

“And I’m Embry.” He looked at me before looking at Quinn. When Quinn and he locked eyes, I set my fork down.

I blinked a few times.

“Fuck.” I muttered quietly. I put my hand on my head. This could seriously not be happening. Not to my sister, and not right now.

I looked at Quinn through my fingers, shielding my face from the boys. Her eyes broke away from Embry’s to look into mine, but I could see her leaning over the table and slightly
towards him.

“You okay?” one of the boys said cautiously. I couldn’t tell who it was.

I just nodded. “Yeah. Just a little headache from the sudden sugar spike. No big deal.” Lying came easily to me. It was a bad habit my dad tried to get me to break, but that never happened.

What? What’s wrong? Quinn asked. I saw her pupils dilate slightly.

I shook my head. Oh, something I forgot to mention—we can talk to each other in our heads. Yeah, weird, strange, whatever, but we were born with it. When we talk to each other telepathically, our pupils dilate.

He’s a wolf. That Embry kid. I told her. I could see the exclamation in her eyes. He’s one of them. Er… not yet, I hesitated. How should I word this? I continued. He hasn’t phased yet. But he has the gene. Oh, and when he does become a wolf, he’s going to imprint on you. Just so you know.

Well, shit. I don’t know if I should be flattered or creeped out.


“All right,” I said, bringing my hand away from my eyes. “That was slightly awkward. But I’ve had my cheesecake and I will now be a super social butterfly.” I smiled widely, showing off my white teeth.

Quinn burst out laughing, one hand holding her stomach and the other covering her mouth.

The boys looked extremely confused.

“Sorry. It’s an inside joke,” I explained. “I’m Rayne.”

“Raynier—”

“Shut up.” I cut my sister off. “As I was saying, my name is Rayne and—”

“It’s Raynier.”

“Shut. Up.” I glared at her. “My name is Rayne,” I paused, looking at my sister who started
laughing again, “and this is my sister, Quinn.”

“Raynier.”

“Goddammit! Shut up!”

The boys started laughing at our argument, calling us weird and strange girls. Hey, we couldn’t help it if we were a bit different than the people here.

“So you girls new? We haven’t seen you around.” Jacob asked.

Quinn nodded, taking a sip of her water. “Yeah, we just came from Wyoming.”

Quinn, I think we should tell them who we’re looking for.

Quinn’s pupils dilated for half a second when I sent her the message. The boys didn’t seem to notice, though.

“Long ass drive,” I muttered when Quinn didn’t respond. I leaned against the booth’s backing, putting stretching my arms over my head before folding them in my lap, just for emphasis. Jacob snorted a laugh. Embry wouldn’t stop staring at Quinn.

So we sat there, just talking. Jacob was the coolest; Quil was kinda shy and Embry couldn’t take his eyes off my sister. I started to feel protective of her. I tapped into his head and was instantly disgusted.

I stared at Quinn.

He’s having sex with you. And he hasn’t even fucking imprinted yet. Disgusting.

What the hell?!

That boy. Embry. In his mind, he’s having sex with you. Oh, and it’s hot, steamy, kinky sex. With lots of ropes and chains and—

Fuck! Raynier, I don’t need a mental picture!

Oh! What a good idea!
I was about to tap into Embry’s mind and pull a piece of his imagination and send it to Quinn, but I was interrupted.

“Hello?” I heard Jacob say. He waved his hand in front of my face and the connection with my sister stopped.

“Quinn,” I whined, looking at her and ignoring Jacob.

“Raynier.” She whined back.

We should just freaking ask them. They’re bound to know Sam!

“All right. Um, this is getting a bit… strange.” Quil said, staring at us. I looked over at them. “Are you guys… okay?”

“Rayne, don’t—”

I had to change the subject. We weren't careful enough, and they were suspecting something. I sucked in a deep breath before speaking.

“Do any of you know Sam Uley?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oooooh, what's gonna happen next?! Tell me what you think!
Raynier can reach into peoples' minds?! Whaaaa?! Tell me what you think about it!
Quinn and Raynier can communicate telepathically without being wolves?! Whaaa?! Tell me what you think about it!!

Thanks to who commented!! Much appreciated! (: