Love, the Hardest Way

33

I woke up to sound of shuffling around my room. I slowly opened my eyes to Bam creeping around my room, trying to frantically pack of his shit. Memories of last night came back to me, which caused me to smile like the Cheshire Cat; there was no way that could have been a dream, it was too good, that and my clothes were somewhere on the floor.
“You always do leave your packing to the last minute, don’t you?” I said groggily.
“Shit, sorry, I didn’t mean to wake you.”
“It’s alright; I needed to get up anyways.”
“No you didn’t. Go back to sleep.”
“No, it’s your last day. I want to spend as much time with you as possible.” I said while getting out of bed and locating my clothes which were scattered around the bed.
“I can’t believe I have to fucking leave.”
“I know. But you’ve got responsibilities back home.”
“But you’re here. That’s definitely more of a reason for me to stay than responsibilities are for me to leave.” Bam said, crawling back onto my bed and pulling me into his chest.
“Can’t we just stay like this?” He mumbled into my neck.
“As much as I would love to, you’ve got a plane to catch.”
“I can get a later one.”
“If you do that then you’ll never go.”
“Oh, so now you’re trying to get rid of me? You want me to leave?” He said playfully.
“You know that’s not what I mean. It’s just that a lot of people are counting on you.”
“I know. It fucking sucks.”
We stayed in our position on the bed for a few more moments before I pushed myself off and stood up.
“OK, plan: you finish packing; I’m going to go get breakfast.” I said, and proceeded to get dressed and head out the door.
As usual my friends were sat in the kitchen, how is it that they were always up before me?
“Sooo, how was your night Scar?” Bambi asked, a very knowing smile on her lips.
“Good.” I replied, not giving anything away.
“Oh come on! We know you screwed him! How was it?” Fish asked bluntly. It caused me to burst out laughing.
“Oh I love you Fish. OK, I’ll tell you everything once Bam has left.”
“You promise?” Bambi asked.
“Yes, I promise. But only if you two don’t say anything embarrassing today while Bam still is here.”
“OK, fine. Promise.” They agreed. Somehow, I don’t think they’d be able to resist doing it anyway.
I went out and bought everything we would need for breakfast and a few things for Bam on the plane.
When I got back Bam's bags were by the door and he was sat with Bambi and Fish drinking coffee and laughing.
“What are you guys laughing about?” I asked as I entered the room.
“Oh Bam was just telling us about the time Vito drove his Hummer off a cliff. The story is so much funnier when it’s told than watching it.” Bambi replied, wiping a tear from her eye.
“Awesome. Well I got breakfast for everyone. A goodbye meal for Bam.” I smiled.
We got all of the food out and ready to eat. Croissants, toast, bacon, sausages, crumpets, eggs; basically a full English breakfast. Bam told us more stories from his Viva La Bam days and we in turn told him some of our anecdotes from our pranks we did before the TV show. We were in stitches all day.
Before I knew it, Bam told us it was time for him to get to the airport.
Driving Bam to the airport is when I realised he was actually leaving. I tried not to give it much thought before, but it was hitting me full force now.
“Hey, what’s wrong?” Bam asked, gently placing his hand on my knee.
I quickly looked down at his hand and saw a tear drop on it before returning my attention to the road. I was crying.
“Nothing. I’m fine.” I said, wiping the tears from under my eyes.
I pulled into the short stay car park outside the airport and quickly got out of the car. I already had the bags out of the boot before Bam could even get out of his door.
“Hey, it’s ok. We’ll see each other soon. I promise.” Bam said, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into his chest.
“Absolutely. There’s no way I’m letting you go now that I finally told you how I feel.”
“You know you never really did.”
“Well then I showed you. But if I didn’t tell you then I’ll just have to tell you now.”