Love, the Hardest Way

7

The next few months were manic, we were constantly filming, even occasionally going to places in Europe to film. It was amazing. It was more than anything Bambi, Fish and I could have ever dreamed of. We were constantly being stopped in the street, people asking for our autographs, photos, anything. It was all so surreal, but amazing. But something still felt it was missing.
And unbeknownst to us, things were about to get a lot more interesting.
It had just started to snow in London. It was one week till Christmas and we were in the middle of filming our Christmas special and finale to the first season of Scar Counts. It was going to be an hour long and Edy was keeping the final plans secret from us. We were starting to get suspicious, how on earth were we meant to do anything if we didn’t even know what was going on.
On the morning of the 20th of December, we were due to start filming, so the three of us got ready and gathered all the stuff we would need for the part of the filming that we actually knew about. After having a rushed breakfast I grabbed Vex’s lead.
“Vex! Walkies!” I called through the apartment, knowing he would come running at the magic word. But he was nowhere in sight.
“Come on Vex! Time to go walkies!” I tried again. No response.
“That’s weird. Hey Bambi, Fish, do you guys know where Vex is?” I called, starting to look through the living room to see if he was hiding.
“No, I’ve not seen him since he went to bed last night.” I heard in response from Fish.
After checking the whole apartment twice we started to get worried.
“There’s no way he could have left the building, maybe one of our neighbours has found him.” Bambi said, trying to reassure us.
Just as we were about to go door to door checking to see if anyone found him, Edy called us, saying we were needed immediately. Even after explaining the situation to him, he said we really had to get moving if we were going to keep to schedule. We’d have to wait till the evening to continue our search. It was only made more stressful that Joe was there filming the whole thing.
The whole day I was completely distracted, worrying about Vex, hoping that he was ok. I don’t know what any of us would do if he was completely lost, we loved that dog. As soon as we got home we went to all of our neighbours searching for Vex; none of them had seen him. By now we were completely frantic. If he got out of the building, there was no way to tell where he’d gone.
“Maybe we should put up posters around town. Maybe someone has seen him.” Suggested Bambi.
“Good idea, come on, let’s go do that now.” Fish said, running back up to our apartment.
By the time we had the posters made and printed out, it was 1am. We were all so tired there was no way we could put the posters up yet. We’d have to wait till the morning. Over the course of the next few days we put flyers up everywhere, asked everyone we saw, but no one knew anything about where Vex could be. A lot of the people we talked to knew Vex from seeing him on our show, but no one had seen him. By now we were distraught, Vex meant everything to us, he was like our baby. To lose him was the worst thing to happen right before Christmas.
Christmas Eve came around and none of us were in a particularly celebratory mood, we just wanted Vex back, that was the only thing that would make a good Christmas. Midnight rolled around and we all wished each other a Merry Christmas and went to our rooms downhearted.
At 8am the next morning there was an almighty raucous at the front door. It sounded as if someone was trying to break the door down.
“What the fuck is that?” Fish yawned as we all ran out of rooms throwing on our dressing gowns.
“I got no idea. Get something to hit them with in case it’s a burglar.” I said, creeping into the kitchen and grabbing a frying pan.
“If it was a burglar, I highly doubt they’d knock.” Bambi mumbled her eyes still half shut.
We slowly crept up to the door, the banging still at full volume. Whoever was on the other side wasn’t going to give up easily. With my best friends behind me with makeshift weapons, I yanked the door open to the last sight I ever expected to see.