Status: Hiatus

Lips of an Angel

Dinner at Ape's

Michelle stood in font of Ape and Phil's house, knocking on the door, while trying to convince her mom that Ape wouldn't mind if she joined them for supper. Michelle herself was looking forward to being with Ape and Phil again and she had to admit that Ape made the best food she had ever tasted, but on the other hand, and although she knew Bam was out of town, she felt somewhat awkward being there. It wasn't often that ex's had supper with their ex's parents but, Ape and Michelle had always been close. Ape and Phil were like her second parents - she adored them.

The door opened suddenly, and Ape stuck her head out, grinning. ''Sorry,'' she said and giggled. ''I'm still cautious of opening the door, after all these years.''

''That's fine,'' Michelle said though a laugh. Michelle knew what hell Bam and the boys had put Ape though all years. ''I hope you don't mind but I brought my mom along...I think she needed to get out and have a good time.''

Michelle's mom gave her a light nudge in the ribs as she laughed sheepishly. Ape laughed and shook her head vigorously and gently pulled Michelle's mom into the house, as if she longed for some female company herself. ''You are always welcome here,'' Ape said warmly and then gave Diane a hug. She then turned to Michelle and gave her a hug too - one that made Michelle wish she had never left, but in the old end, it was necessary that she left West Chester.

The smell of Ape's meatball's wafting from the kitchen made Michelle's mouth water and it seemed that Phil could smell it too because he appeared from around the corner, licking his lips. Michelle couldn't help but smile - she always wished her own father was more like Phil. The hug he gave Michelle only re-affirmed that. He had such a warm, giving, kind and funny nature to him. Diane and Ape had already disappeared to the kitchen and they could hear them chatting a mile a minute and Michelle was happy she brought her mother along; they probably had a lot of catching up to do.

''You look good!'' Phil exclaimed and gave her one last cuddle around the shoulders before trotting off to the kitchen, rubbing his tummy. Michelle's attention was drawn to some photo's hanging on the wall in elegant frames that only Ape could have chosen. Michelle stepped closer and smiled to herself when all the memories from years passed flooded back to her. She then moved to photo's that were more recent - Jess, Bam's brother, was now married with three beautiful children and Michelle, although happy for Jess, felt her heart sink and she had an empty pit in her stomach. As she looked at Jess' children, she felt her eye's well up with tears but she quickly will them away, blinked till they were no more. Moving on, she came to photos of Bam and, although she wanted to look away she couldn't. Mixed emotions filled ever fiber of her being and before she could grip onto which emotion was tugging hard at her, Ape called her to the dining room table.

Diane smiled at Michelle as she took a seat. Knowing her daughter well, she saw how pensive Michelle had become and knew old memories must have come back to haunt her. ''I thought the boys were going to join us,'' Phil asked as he dished up the spaghetti and meatballs.

''I forgot,'' Ape said, throwing her hands up into the air. ''Ryan phoned and said he and the boys would meet you at The Note, Michelle,'' Ape said and Michelle nodded but had no idea that the reason they didn't apprear at the supper was that they were at Bam's house. Little did she know that Bam was back in town, earlier than anyone expected.

''I know you went through a lot with those mischievous boys,'' Diane said with a giggle as Ape gave a hearty nod, '' but I have missed all of Michelle's old friends. Are they all still living around here?''

Ape gave a smile, ''They do, but unfortunately and sadly some of the boys don't talk to each other much anymore.''

Michelle lifted her brows in surprise as Diane dropped her fork onto her plate, as much in disbelief as Michelle. ''Really? That's unbelievable, they were all so close!'' Dine exclaimed

''Raab and Bam stopped taking after Bam got with Missy and then they got married...'' Phil said and trailed off, then took the last bite of his food.

Michelle frowned, her perfect brows pulling together - Bam and Missy were married? She knew she lost touch with everyone and didn't keep up with them in media because it hurt too much but married? Bam? Bam and Missy? It was almost too much comprehend but her curiosity piqued when Ape mentioned that Bam and Missy had gotten a divorce. Before Ape could say more or she could ask any questions the phone rang and Ape excused herself from the table and went to answer the phone.

A few seconds later Ape was back, smiling widely at Michelle. ''Dunn says he and Dico are leaving for The Note right now and Rake is following with some other friends.''

''Thanks Ape,'' Michelle said, wiped her mouth with the napkin and then got up. ''That was delicious and I'm off to see some jackasses.''

Ape gave little laugh, knowing how right Michelle was and although she was worried about what might happen at the bar, she always wished Michelle and Bam had stayed a couple, no matter what. She knew Bam had loved Michelle and she was sure he never really got over her but they were both hurt, so much so that she was sure nobody would ever understand how much except for Michelle and Bam.

''Do you want me to drop you off at home mom?'' Michelle asked as she hugged Phil goodbye and then Ape.

''I'll take Diane home, honey, and I'll send some desert home for you,'' Ape said and gently pushed Michelle to the door. ''Have fun and be good.''

'I will,' Michelle answered with a giggle, confused as to why Ape was in such a rush to get rid of her all of a sudden.

''See you later cupcake,'' Diane hollered as Michelle stepped out of the door and then made her way to her car.

Michelle hopped into her car and started it up, then put her mp player on. Music filled the car and she drove off singing along to the music she loved. 'Familiar Realm' came on and she put the sound up even further, thinking how appropriate the song was. She really was in familiar realm - her old home town, her old friends that she loved so much and family that were dear to her, whether they were her real family or her second family. So much more of the song was in relation to her - more than most people would ever understand. No-one understand just how deeply except for her and Bam and even so, both experienced the same situation in a very different way.

Although it was a small town and she and Bam had the same friends, Michelle was still hoping that she wouldn't bump into Bam but besides that, she was happy. She was starting a new job and she was intent on making her mom happy again too. Her heart sank for a moment - so maybe she wasn't complete or even completely happy because try as she might she could never really forget Bam. He was apart of her life at one time. Now though, she felt like she had to move on, more than before because Bam was close in the same town....closer than she thought.

Michelle pulled into a parking and took a deep breath as she switched the car off and got out. It was a good opportunity for her to be at The Note with her friends tonight so she could see the on-goings and it would only help her when she did start working there. It was going to be a fun night!
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm just getting back into writing after a year, and I thank my best, dearest friend Jen for standing by me and helping me so I can get onto the right track again. Thank you for being so patient to Jen and the readers and comments are most welcome :)