Drop Dead.

Shouldn't.

Waking up to Gel jumping wildly on top of me definitely isn’t the greatest way to start the day. My crusted eyes force themselves open and with a growl I kick Gel off the bed. She lands on the floor and giggles, “Jinx, come on!”

“No.” I throw the covers over my head and refuse to get up.

“Come on,” she whines, tugging at my arm. “It’s time for school!”

There isn’t one part of me that wants to go to school or even thinks it’s a good idea to go. I haven’t gone to school in so long that I’m not really sure what to do. I’ve never been the greatest with people either and school…that’s all it is. People. Socializing. It’s like my worst nightmare.

There’s going to be girls annoying the shit out of me. There’s going to be boys talking shit. There will be a bunch of drama and useless learning. It’s going to be hell. I just know it. Why Gel is so excited, I have no idea but I’m not going to crush her dreams.

Sighing, I finally get up, which has Gel smiling and leaving me alone to get ready. Grabbing a random set of clothes, I throw them on and go into the bathroom to do nature’s call and brush my hair. After that is all done I head downstairs, ready to complain about how I really don’t want to go but the moment I step into the kitchen all the words get stuck in my throat.

Sitting on the kitchen counter is the one kid I do not want to see: Laker. It’s like he knows how angry it makes me to see him because he smirks and says, “Good morning, Jinx.”

Mimi giggles at the glare I’m sending the boy. I don’t think she realizes that this glare is real and the hatred is there. It’s definitely there. She probably thinks we’re just playin’. We definitely are not.

“What are you doing here?” I snarl once I’m next to him.

“I’m your ride,” Laker replies, taking a bite from the apple he stole off the counter. My lip twitches with annoyance and anger. “Why? Aren’t you happy to see me?”

Laker leans in so close that we begin to breathe in each others exhales. My body shivers and I blame it on the disgust running through my veinsthere isn’t any disgust. But I don’t pull away or tear my eyes from his because it feels like a competition, no it is one, to see who will cave first and turn away. Perhaps Laker doesn’t care about his pride as much as me because he easily looks away from me and shrugs. “I’ll take your silence as a yes then.”

I scoff and brush past the boy to find me something for breakfast. While eating my Lucky Charms, Ken comes into the kitchen and greets us all with smiles and hugs. With his arm still wrapped around my neck, he chuckles and pulls me against him. “Excited buddy?”

“No,” I grunt, desperately trying to pull away from his grasp with a slight smile etched across my face. Ken smirks and ruffles my hair affectionately. Something in my chest burns with joy and I bite my lip to keep myself from showing how much I appreciate the touch. I don’t know why I did, I just did.

“I’m sure everything will be fine. You’ll see.” He winks and walks over to Mimi to hold her in his arms. The two stand there as Ken hums and rocks them from side to side. Gel begins to giggle and Laker rolls his eyes while I stare.

Were mybiological parents ever like that? Did they ever hold one another like they were the most important things to one another? Did they ever just kiss each other because they felt like it or held hands or went out to eat just because they wanted to be alone? Were they ever happy together…before they had me…

I don’t even realize I’m still staring until Mimi clears her throat, breaking me from my trance. Suddenly my ears feel extremely wet and I reach up to stroke just below them. Nothing is there. I must have held it all in but Mimi noticed the build up.

She looks at me with concern and makes her way to my side. With her hand rubbing my back, she asks, “Jinx, are you ok sweetheart? Maybe we should wait another day before you go to school…”

“No.” I shake my head and get up from the table. After putting my dishes in the sink I sigh. “I’m fine.”I was just thinking about things I shouldn’t.

“We better get going or we’ll be late,” Laker cuts in and in seconds Gel has her things and is out the door. Both Laker and I stare wide-eyed at the entry way. She’s already in the car before either of us can do a thing. Chuckling, Laker shakes his head. “Somebody sure is excited. She’ll be disappointed.”

Mimi laughs, “You never know. Have a good day you two. Jinx, if you or Gel need anything or want to come home you know you can call.”

“We’ll be fine.” I wave good-bye to the two of them and follow Laker out the door and to his car. He gets into the drivers side and me the passenger seat, although I really don’t want to. Being this close to Laker makes me extremely uncomfortable and I begin squirming in my seat.

Behind us Gel is talking loudly and I would be listening if I wasn’t panicking.

School. There are so many rules, so many regulations. There’s too many and I can easily break any of them, on accident of course. It’s just been so long that I hardly remember it. I can hardly remember what it feels like to be in there for 7 hours a day, the homework, the teachers, the lectures, it’s all hazy to me.

And to add onto that, it’s high school. I didn’t even make it to the end of middle school. I’ve heard stories about high school and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a bit frightened. Teenagers are bitches. I’m not scared of them. I’m just scared of what I might do to them.

Just because I’m in school doesn’t mean I won’t knock a bitch out cold if they talk shit about me. I know they will. I’m adopted. I’ve lived on the streets. I’m a perfect target for teasing and bullying. I know this and you bet that they know it too. Kids are assholes. That’s just how it is.

“We’re here,” Laker suddenly says, snapping me from my thoughts.

Biting my lip, I look out the car window to seehell school. Gel seems thrilled about it and I am thankful that the middle school, which is where Gel is, is on the same campus as the high school. Stepping out of the car, I stare up at the building. Suddenly I feel very, very sick.

A hand places itself on my shoulder and gives it a slight squeeze, I look back. Standing behind me is Laker with a reassuring grin on his face. Part of me is relieved to see it while another just wants to rip it off and smack him repeatedly with it.

“Things will be ok,” he tells me, wrapping an arm around my shoulder and pulling me into him. My cheeks feel extremely hot all of a sudden. Laker grins. “You’re hot, the girls will love you.”

My eye twitches and I shove Laker away. “Fuck you.”

I really hate that kid.
♠ ♠ ♠
Laker and Jinx make me happy
Just sayin'
;D

Comment&Subscribe?