These Lines Were Never Established

Chapter Thrity-Five

Hayley looked around the large Stadium as she hugged to Travis’s leg. There were dirt jumps everywhere and large yellow and orange machines pushing more dirt around. She could smell the water in the dirt and dust of the ground. She smiled at the smell. It was one she was used to, it reminded her of when Travis used to always take her on her flying machine before everyone else showed up with theirs.

“Hey Trav.” Travis turned at the voice. Smiling at Brian Deegan walking up to him Travis waved lightly at the man. “Well, well, well so the rumors are true. Papa Pastrana.”

Hayley turned her head hearing ‘Pastrana’. She glanced around having heard ‘Pop Pop’ instead of ‘Papa’ so she was looking for Pop Pop. He was supposed to be at home, not here.

“You make is sound like it’s a bad thing. You’ve got two of them.” Travis laughed. His eye line dipped down to Hayley looking around wildly.

“Yeah, but I’m used to mine.” Brian laughed as he walked up.

Hayley stopped as a man kneeled in front of her. As he smiled at her she hid her face in Travis’s leg nervously. She glanced at him as he smiled at her with a wave. Giggling she tucked herself back into Travis’s leg.

“Hi there, I’m Brian.” Brian smiled at her. Hayley gave a small wave as she kept herself tucked in Travis’s leg.

Travis bent down picking her up and holding her to his chest as Brian stood up. With a laugh, Travis bounced her a bit. Brian laughed as Hayley kept her head down, hands tucked up by her chin.

“You don’t want to say hi to Brian.” Hayley turned her head to look at him with her little hazel green eyes. Brian smiled at her and waved again.

“Hi.” Hayley whispered. Pressing her face back into Travis’s chest she giggled. Travis and Brian laughed.

“What’s so funny?” They both asked confused. Hayley looked at them both before hiding again with another giggle. Both men looked at each other confused. Neither one of them had said anything fun, had they?

“Cause…” She giggled. Clutching Travis’s shirt tighter she giggled, hiding her face into the nook of his neck.

“Cause why, huh?” Travis bounced her about, enjoying that she was smiling and giggling. He hadn’t seen this side of her in weeks. It was good to finally see it again.

“What’s so funny?” Brian began poking at her sides, causing more giggles. “Huh? Huh? Tell us!” He laughed still prodding at her.

“Cause I wik yer smile!” She laughed swatting at his hands, her face bright red. Travis’s eyes bugged as Brian’s smile grew at her little words.

“Nooooo.” Travis whined, tipping his head back. “You can’t like boys yet! I’m just getting used to the genius part! No boys, especially older ones!” He laughed. Having Hayley like boys was terrifying but the smiles and giggles was worth it to him

“Aw!” Brian cooed, plucking her from Travis’s grasp. “I like your smile too!” He ooed hugging her close.

“Hey!” Travis laughed, taking her back. “Back of weirdo.” He teased. Brian rolled his eyes and waved his hand at Travis.

“You don’t know anything. This.” Brian took her back at Hayley laughed and squirmed in his grip. “This is love right here!” He teased as Hayley flailed wildly.

“Pfftt, you wish creeper!” Travis took her back and turned around so Brian couldn’t get her. “Leave my little bird alone freak.” He laughed as Hayley clapped as she laughed wildly. She was enjoying this situation and she wasn’t sure why.

“Travis!” Hayley looked up as both Travis and Brian stopped fighting. Brian leaned over Travis’s extended leg to hold him back. “What are you two doing?” Jolene laughed eyeing the two men in awkward positions, Travis balancing on one leg holding Hayley out away from Brian as Brian pushed against Travis’s lifted foot and leg trying to get to Hayley. Both of which had been yelling at each other playfully as Jolene walked up.

Hayley’s eyes went wide seeing her standing there, eyeing the two confused and slightly embarrassed men.

“He started it!” Travis stated quickly.

“What?!” Brian yelled surprised. “No! Way you did!”

“What are you two, five?” Jolene laughed. Both looked at each other and shrugged.

“Six actually.” They both stated. Jolene clicked her tongue nodding as Hayley watched her.

“Right, I forgot you both just had a birthday.” She teased with a roll of her eyes. Both nodded wildly as Brian slapped Travis’s foot away. Jolene smiled and laughed and that was all it took.

“Mommy!” Hayley cheered making grabby hands at Jolene. She remembered the blonde hair, the blue eyes, and the big pretty smile. She the biggest smile on her face in weeks she wiggled towards Jolene as Travis and Jolene stared at her stunned. She’d never called Jolene mom once, and Travis had even had the death and dead talk with Hayley. He’d assumed she understood when she cried for three-days straight and thrashed about most of that time when someone tried to even touch her.

“Whoa, wait, what?” Brian asked confused. “You two…had a kid?” He asked, pointing.

“No.” Travis whispered, pulling the smiling happy girl into him.

“Mommy!” she whined, bouncing up and down. Still making grabby hands she tried to lean out of Travis’s arms and closer to Jolene. Why wouldn’t mommy hold her? Sniffling she whined softly trying to reach Jolene.

Jolene let out a deep breath and moved to Travis taking Hayley with a weak smile. Hayley smiled hugging her tightly and snuggling into her chest. Jolene looked up at Travis confused.

“Didn’t you…” Travis simply nodded just as confused. “Then why…?” He gave a dramatic shrug.

“I’m still confused!” Brian declared, hand raised as if he was asking a question in class.

“Um…” Travis turned to him, head down. “Hayley’s mom’s dead.” Brian frowned sadly. “We had that talk a while back and I thought she understood with the way she reacted.”

“How’d she react?”

“Cried for three days and threw herself around when anyone but me tried to hold her or even go near her.”

“Well there’s your problem.” Brian sighed. “She’s a kid Trav. She understood and then her brain blocked it out. It’s human nature to block out the truly traumatic things in life and now she’d replacing that empty place in her with Jolene. A woman she clearly knows and loves.” Jolene and Travis looked at each other. Hayley was beside herself with giddiness and happiness that Travis couldn’t bring himself to tell her Jolene wasn’t her mother.

“Uh. Parenthood just became that much more difficult.” Travis ran a hand through her hair as he removed his hat, knowing the ‘Jolene is not your mom and your mom died when you were little’ talk who have to come in a few years when she was older.

“Yup. All in one day find out she repressed something and she likes boys.” Brian nodded. Jolene looked up from Hayley confused.

“Wait, what about boys?” She gasped.

“She like Brian.” Brian patted his chest proudly. Jolene grimaced. “Yeah. Welcome to the club mommy.” Travis laughed dryly

“Why little bird?” Hayley looked up at Jolene confused by the question. “Why Brian of all boys? He’s not that cute.” Brian frowned as Travis laughed loudly. “When you get older I’ll show you cute boys.” Hayley giggled, hiding her face once more.