Status: Working on slowly

Let Me In

Nine

Putting her car into park in the empty space behind Guitar Guy, Beth closed her eyes as she leant back on the headrest, taking a moment to gather herself before making her way inside. Sleep had not been her friend the past two nights ever since Colby’s appearance, and she was certain that maybe taking Mr. Haner’s offer of having Monday off would have been the more sensible idea, but if she was honest, she needed to be at work to keep her mind occupied before the appointment she had later that day. Her father had wasted no time on Sunday morning calling an old family friend, a divorce attorney, and arranging a meeting.

Sunday had been fraught with tension and upset, with Beth baring the marks of how much Colby’s visit had upset and affected her son. The expression Colby had worn the entire time Nate had lashed out during his frustrated tantrum proved even further to Beth that he clearly had no idea just how to handle such a situation, that his reasons for wanting custody wasn’t out of love for Nate, it was merely a way to get back at her.

Somewhere amidst the chaos and aftermath, Beth had found time to call Brian, asking if they could meet up at some point in the week. She needed to tell him face to face that whatever was happening between them simply couldn’t continue. She owed him at least that much rather than just a brush off over the phone. The sadness in his voice had told her that he had an idea what was coming, but he agreed none the less. No time had been arranged, with Brian being on nights, it was going to be a little awkward, and Beth knew she was simply going to have to wait for him to let her know when he was free.

Opening her eyes, Beth took her purse from the passenger seat, and stepped out of the car, locking it before making her way inside. Walking past the office through the store, she found Mr. Haner behind the counter.

“Morning,” she greeted quietly.

Her employer turned from where he stood, sympathy written all over his face when he saw her standing there.

“Sweetheart, what are you doing here? I told you there was no need today,” Brian Sr stated, taking a few steps towards her.

“I know,” Beth answered with a shrug. “And as much I appreciate that, I’m just gonna go stir crazy if I spend the time at home. I may as well do something useful with it. Plus, I need the money more than ever now.”

“Rough day yesterday?” he asked, indicating to the long sleeve top Beth wore, despite the 80 degree heat they would be experiencing later that day.

“One of the worst he’s had in a while, and that dumbass just sat there, looking completely helpless. And yet, this is the man who figures he’s more than qualified to know what’s best for Nate and care for him,” Beth replied.

Brian Sr sighed, knowing that the next few months were going to be tough on her. There was one other question burning at the back of his mind, but he knew it wasn’t his place to ask. He had seen the smile on his son’s face Sunday morning, yet after talking to Beth later that day, he knew there was every chance that smile wouldn’t be around for too long.

“How about you spend the morning in the office,” he suggested. “ There’s a whole heap of invoices and orders I should have worked on over the weekend, but you know me,” he added with a grin.

“Sure, you’d only make a mess of them anyway,” Beth joked, a smile finally appearing.

“I just don’t want you scaring away my custom is what it is,” Brian Sr launched back with a wink, lightening the mood a little more.

Beth gave a little chuckle, shaking her head as she headed for the safety of the office.

An hour and a half later, Beth completed the last order online, and rested her elbows on the desk. She massaged her temples briefly, her mind wandering a little at to her appointment later that day. Her father had told her to make sure she took with her all the reports from Nate’s schooling in Texas that provided evidence that Colby had never been a visible parent when it came to consultations and such forth, and anything that would prove that he had never shown any interest in his son’s well being and progress.

Beth felt as though it made her look no better than Colby, but she knew she had to do whatever it would take to prevent him from ever getting custody of Nate. If he was going to play dirty, then she was just going to have to fight back.

“Hey.”

Turning her head at the unexpected sound of his voice, Beth saw Brian standing in the doorway. He looked tired and confused, almost mirroring how she was pretty sure she looked right then as well.

“Wasn’t expecting to see you today,” she admitted nervously.

“Well, a certain call I got yesterday has been playing on my mind, and I couldn‘t wait around to find out just what it was all about,” he answered softly.

Kneeling by the chair, Brian studied Beth’s face, almost as if he was searching for some sign that he was wrong, and that there was hope.

“I get the feeling this is gonna hurt,” he murmured, turning the chair so Beth faced him, resting his hands on her knees.

Beth took hold of his hands as she let out a deep breath.

“When I left Saturday, it was because Colby had shown up,” she explained.

Brian let her words register, squeezing her hands a little, praying that she wasn’t about to confirm what was going through his mind.

“Don’t say it Beth,” he whispered.

“Oh god no, I’m not getting back with him, you can forget that thought,” she assured him. “But right now, I can’t be with anyone,” she added, trying to ignore the sting of the tears she could feel starting to well up.

“There’s a lot of complicated stuff between us that goes back years, and he’s going to make this divorce as difficult and as messy for me as he possibly can. I can’t drag you into this Brian, you’re too good a person to get caught up in all of this crap.”

Beth knew she spoke the truth. Brian didn’t deserve to be on the receiving end of Colby’s plans, she couldn’t allow it.

“But what if I want to be the one who helps you through this, who supports you no matter what he throws at you?” Brian put to her. “I don’t want you to go through this alone, Beth.”

Framing his handsome face with her hands, Beth couldn’t stop the tears that broke free.

“You’re amazing Brian Haner Jr, and that’s why it’s better this way, because you deserve to go out there and find someone who’s not going to get you dragged down along with them,” she whispered.

“But…”

Beth silenced him with a gentle kiss, before resting her forehead on his.

“Thank you,” she murmured.

Brian looked up at her.

“For what?” he questioned.

“For just being you and showing me just how great life can actually be,” Beth answered.

Wiping her tears with his thumbs, Brian kissed her forehead.

“Any time,” he returned, taking her in his arms, wishing he didn’t have to let go.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little cheesy...but it was just the way it came out I'm afraid! Thank you all so much for the comments as well :) xx