Status: COMPLETED

Can a Shattered Heart Be Put Back Together?

How Did We Get Here

I was sitting on my bed, strumming the cords on my guitar. Jessa’s head was in my lap and she was reading the songs in my song book. I leaned back against the pillows in frustration.

“How did he and I get here?” I asked her, and then sat up straighter. “Oh my God. I just thought of a new song.”

She sat up. “Okay, play it.”

I smiled and started putting the words to the song together. Jessa helped me move some of the verses around to make it sound better. When we finished, we smiled matching smiles at each other.

“Alright, Dyls. Let’s hear it.” She said. I nodded, and started strumming.

How can I decide what's right?
When you're clouding up my mind
Can't win your losing fight all the time
Not gonna ever own what's mine
When you're always taking sides
You wont take away my pride
No not this time
Not this time

How did we get here?
I use to know you so well
how did we get here?
Well, I think I know

The truth is hiding in your eyes
And its hanging on your tongue
Just boiling in my blood,
But you think that I can't see
What kind of man that you are
If you're a man at all
Well, I will figure this one out on my own
(I'm screaming "I love you so..." But my thoughts you can't decode)

How did we get here?
I use to know you so well
how did we get here?
Well, I think I know

do you see what we've done?
We're gonna make such fools of ourselves
Do you see what we've done?
We're gonna make such fools of ourselves

How did we get here?
I use to know you so well
how did we get here?
Well, I use to know you so well

I think I know
I think I know
There is something that I see in you
It might kill me I want it to be true


I finished the song, and took a deep breath. Jessa’s mouth was hanging open. “Holy shit, Dyls. You have a set of pipes on you.”

I smiled. “Thanks, Jessa.” I looked at the clock, and bit my lip. “Jessa?”

She looked at me. “Yeah?”

“Do you know how to get to La Push?”

“Yes. You wanna see Paul, right?” She asked.

I nodded. “You’re a secret mind reader aren’t you?” I teased.

She laughed. “It’s a possibility. This is the perfect opportunity. Carlisle and Esme are hunting. Everyone else is at school.” She said.

“We better move fast.” I sat, standing up, and stretching out my legs and arms. I heal a lot faster now that I’m a half-vampire, so the casts are off but my ribs are still healing. Stupid ribs.

Anyway, I slipped on some jean shorts, a white cami, and a black sweater. I put on my black converse, bracelets, necklace, and earrings.

“You ready?” Jessa asked, poking her head through the door.

I nodded. “Yupp. Let’s go.”

We walked to her car, a yellow BMW convertible. We drove off to La Push, and my leg was shaking.

“Dyls, you got to calm down.” Jessa said.

I sighed. “I know, but it’s going to be awkward.” I groaned.

She shrugged. “Maybe not. He was pretty damn worried about you.”

“He probably just felt guilty. If I wouldn’t have wrecked, he wouldn’t be worried.” I said softly.

“Honestly, I think he still loves you.” She said. We pulled up to the beach where Hayley said they would all be when I text her.

“Well, we’re about to find out.” I took a deep breath, and stepped out of the car. Before I even took two steps, Hayley was already running at me. My eyes widened, and I stepped back.
I grunted as she collided with me, sending us both to the ground. “It’s a good thing I’m a half-vamp or that would’ve hurt.” I groaned.

Hayley hugged me tightly. “Dyls, I- I thought I lost you! I was going crazy! Everyone was going crazy! Look at this!” She yelled, pointing under her eye. “I have major bags under my eyes for how crazy I was going!”

I smiled up at her. “You done?”

She sighed. “Yes.”

I hugged her tightly. “I missed you.” I whispered.

“I missed you, too.” We smiled at each other. She helped me up, and I noticed two additions to the pack.

“Who are they?” I asked.

“Seth and Leah Clearwater.”

I gasped, and looked over at Leah. “How is she around Sam?” I asked quietly, dropping my voice way down so no one but Hayley could hear me.

She sighed. “It hurts them both.” She said. Knowing that Sam was hurting because of it broke my heart since he was like a brother to me.

“Are you two going to stand there all day, or are you going to come see us too?!” Jake shouted at me.

I rolled my eyes. “I’m coming, I’m coming. Don’t get you’re panties in a bunch!” I shouted back.

“You wanna take our time, and piss them off?” Hayley questioned.

I smiled. “I missed you, best friend.”

She laughed, and I linked arms with Jessa, and we walked slowly with Hayley down to the guys. I hugged Sam first. He scolded me for driving while I was upset. I just kept head down, and nodded like a kid getting sent to the corner. He finally just kissed my forehead, and told me he was glad I was safe.

The next one was Jake. He was defiantly one of my best guy friends. I hugged Jared and Embry at the same time, and introduced my self to Seth and Leah. Seth was so sweet, and was telling me that all the guys and Hayley were so worried about me, and that he was glad I was safe. Leah was a different story. She just sneered at me.

Finally, I came to the person I was most excited to see. “Can we go somewhere to talk?” He asked lowly.

I nodded, and followed him to the woods. “I was so worried.” He said, looking down at feet.

I sighed. “Paul, don’t beat yourself up because you feel guilty or anything like that. What happened happened and there’s nothing we can do about it.” I said. He was still looking down at his feet, not saying anything. “Well, if that’s all you needed I’ll go now.” I said, and started to walk past him.

“Dylan.” He whispered, and his arm wrapped around my waist forcing me to stop. He used his other hand to turn me around softly, and then his lips pressed against mine. My eyes widened. I was not expecting that. I closed my eyes, and just enjoyed it. I wrapped my arms around this neck, my fingers playing with his hair. His wrapped tightly around my waist, pulling me as close to him as I could possibly get. Our lips moved in sync, and our tongues danced together until he pulled away slowly. He pecked my lips a few times, and then pressed his forehead to mine.

“Never do that again, please.” He whispered.

I pecked his lips a few times before answering. “I won’t.” I whispered back. He smiled, and we stood there like that for a couple minutes until my phone beeped. I sighed and pulled it out of my pocket. I had a text from Emmett.

Where are you and Jessica?
I sighed, and text back.

At La Push. I had to talk to him, Emmett. We’ll be back soon.
I closed the phone, and slipped it into my back pocket. “Come on. We better head back.” I said, and held out my hand. He smiled, and took it.

We walked back to the beach, hand-in-hand. “Wait, Dylan.” Paul said.

I turned around. “What is it?” I asked.

He pressed his mouth against mine again, but this one was softer, and had more meaning to it. “I love you. So fucking much.” He whispered.

My eyes started watering. “I love you, too.” I said, pressing my palm against his cheek. We kissed again, and then headed back to the beach. I said goodbye to everyone, and promised Paul I’d call him tomorrow.

On the way home, I leaned my head against the window and fell asleep.

I looked around the woods. “Hello?” I called out. I heard someone run up behind me, but had no time to turn around. Something slammed into my back, sending me soaring into the trees in front of me. I cried out when a branch pierced my thigh. I pulled it out, and looked up at the person crouching over me. I gasped as I looked up at-

“Dylan! Wake up.” Jessa said, shaking me. I gasped, shooting up out of the seat. “What’s wrong? Are you okay?” She asked. I just stared out into the street, trying to think of who it was I saw in my dream. “Dylan, you’re all pale and sweaty. I’m going to get Carlisle.” She said, and started to get out of the car. I grabbed her arm.

“Jessa…. Something is going to happen. I don’t know what….But I can feel it.” I looked at her with wide, scared eyes. “It’s not going to end well.”